Moving Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moving halfway across the country to start residency. Looking at apartments/condos/townhomes/houses to rent online but do not have the funds to visit the city to look at them in person beforehand. I had a bad experience using craigslist a long time ago to look for a rental that was on the other side of the country and ended up in the seediest/most crime-ridden part of city. I also could not afford to scout out the place in person then.

Any advice on the pros/cons of whether to sign a 6-month or 1 year lease if I can't see the place in person beforehand?

or

Should I arrive at the new city a week or more early, stay at the "cheapest" motel, and check out the rentals in-person before signing the lease?

I would like to keep the costs of moving as much as possible as I do not want to take out any relocation loans to add to my student loan debt burden.

Furthermore, any moving advice in general as I also will have dependents so renting a room or sharing a rental with my fellow residents is not feasible.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Moving halfway across the country to start residency. Looking at apartments/condos/townhomes/houses to rent online but do not have the funds to visit the city to look at them in person beforehand. I had a bad experience using craigslist a long time ago to look for a rental that was on the other side of the country and ended up in the seediest/most crime-ridden part of city. I also could not afford to scout out the place in person then.

Any advice on the pros/cons of whether to sign a 6-month or 1 year lease if I can't see the place in person beforehand?

or

Should I arrive at the new city a week or more early, stay at the "cheapest" motel, and check out the rentals in-person before signing the lease?

I would like to keep the costs of moving as much as possible as I do not want to take out any relocation loans to add to my student loan debt burden.

Furthermore, any moving advice in general as I also will have dependents so renting a room or sharing a rental with my fellow residents is not feasible.

Thanks!

Airbnb for a couple weeks

Reactions: 1 user
Can you work with a realtor who can look at places and do video tours for you? Usually doesn't cost any extra. Reach out to your chief and/or program coordinator - are there any graduating residents who are moving out of their place and you can move in? Any complexes that are popular among residents?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely get a local realtor to help you find a safe rental close to your workplace.
You can talk to one before a trip and they can set up several places to show you in person, and then you can choose from the ones you saw on that day.
I don't recommend the "sight-unseen" method ever.

Good ideas! I will reach out on a FB page of the city and see if there are any recommendations for realtors that can help me rent. And also the PC. Last resort will be either AirBnB or motel.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Pull up the area in question on any map app that shows stores.

If it shows whole foods, Best Buy, target, fancy boutique stores, etc, you’re probably in the clear.

Laundry, pawn shops, liquor stores, car lots, title pawns, etc… you probably want to look elsewhere.

It’s not 100%, but it’s right much more than it’s not.

I am in my new city for the next three years. Staying in budget hotels/motels while looking for an apartment that’s in a safe neighborhood due to the dependent that’s within my budget has been rough going. Decided against buying as I am not used to the flow of the new place yet. Still hopeful I will find something before orientation starts.

Almost every horror story I've heard involving rental scams occurs in the way you described. People steal postings, replace the contact info, show you all the pictures, give you a tour, they give you standard looking leases, etc. then they take your money, sometimes they're bold and require multiple months upfront to "hold" places for you, then you show up and the actual owners have no idea what you're talking about, and you are stuck with no place to live and out thousands of dollars.

You should always look at a place you want in person. You're spending thousands to live there. Drive down or if its far fly out there and look at it to sign on the dotted line and hand them a check.

If you really can't do that, reach out to local hotels, and ask if they have a monthly rate, and just book them. Usually they'll have a cheaper rate monthly, and people do it all the time when they are going for temporary jobs or transitioning.