motion sickness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpc23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took an introductory flight lesson and got motion sick. It wasn't too bad when I was flying, becuase I was focused on other things, but when I landed I felt nauseous for an hour.

I really enjoyed flying and was hoping to spend my GMO as a FS, but being sick for an hour everytime I fly is not going to work.

Will this going away if I just keep practicing? Has anyone dealt with this problem or new someone who dealt with it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience as a flight surgeon at the busiest Navy training air wing, I can say confidently that you will likely adapt to the flight enviroment given adequate exposure. I regularly see student aviators who struggle with airsickness during their first 5 to 7 flights, and the vast majority (>97%) adapt. There are treatment algorithms which include the judicious use of anti-emetics and exposure to a Barany chair that are very efficacious in helping your body adapt to the sensory mismatches that occur in flight. And even if you don't completely adapt, chances are you can get assigned to helicopter squadron if you like.

Good luck.

After my first backseat F-16 ride, I was MISERABLE. I mean, I felt AWFUL. Another opening appeared the next day, and I wouldn't have taken it for the world, except that I knew one of my buddies was waiting to laugh his *** off I didn't... and it was great.

Expect a little nausea for a while, but eat sensibly that morning (limited amount of basic carbohydrates) and hydrate well the day before. Don't skip breakfast-- you'll feel worse. Use the plane's air conditioner to keep yourself cool and put your mask on 100% oxygen. If you have to throw up, you have to; turn your mic off, get it over with, seal up the barf bag (I hid one in my flight suit leg once, nobody even knew I'd done it), and enjoy the rest of the ride.

Also, SA helps. Ask one of the pilots to teach you about the map features of the display in front of you. Ask them to tell you about what you'll be doing on the ride. The more your brain is engaged, the more it can ignore whining from your stomach.

It's tougher to get used to from the back seat than from the front, but most people manage. Hang in there.