Other OT-Related Information MOT vs. OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gOT2beOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I am currently doing some research and am wondering what others think about earning your MOT vs. OTD? Obviously the timeframe to earn your MOT is shorter which allows you to get out into the workforce sooner, but why are some of you aiming to earn the OTD?

Members don't see this ad.

I am choosing to pursue OTD over masters as I hope to become a professor later on in my career.

Reactions: 1 user
At this point, if you can get into the OTD and can swing it financially, just do it. It's likely going to be the requirement within 10 years I know ACOTE has stated they are going to hold off, but I don't believe that will be a permanent decision. Given the changing state of healthcare, and not for the positive, there is no way the profession can afford not to begrudgingly follow in the footsteps of Physical Therapy (because I believe that they will start gunning for our jobs, with all of the changes and limits to rehab services covered by insurance), and in 10 years, I'm concerned that job descriptions will state "must have a doctorate". I do not believe than an OTD makes you any more qualified than someone with a Masters, and I think the idea of an "entry level doctorate" is idiotic, but because it's inevitable, you may as well just do it now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, everyone!

I am currently doing some research and am wondering what others think about earning your MOT vs. OTD? Obviously the timeframe to earn your MOT is shorter which allows you to get out into the workforce sooner, but why are some of you aiming to earn the OTD?

Hey, I actually think it’s definitely okay if you want to pursue an MOT. I disagree with the statement that all OT jobs will require a doctorate because that’s just impossible. I’ve looked at job opportunities within OT in my area (I live in a big city) and I still see decent amount of job listings that still accept a bachelors in OT which was so long ago. I do believe that a person with a Masters and clinical experience is worth more than a person with zero experience and a doctorate. The only difference is the research aspect. If you want to teach, the doctorates for you. However, if you just want to be a therapist an MOT is fine. All those with an MOT will later get grandfathered into the doctorate anyway.

Last edited:
I have friends who got a post-professional OTD to increase their compensation in school systems. So they may get a bit more money getting the OTD.

I wouldn't bother. It should be bachelors tbh.

OTD? SAD!

As earlier as 2025 I believe all schools will be required to transition to a Doctorate. I believe that's why schools are making the transition now to meet that requirement.

The OTD is really only useful if you want to teach. The schools will likely all transition to OTD in the next 10 years or so. However, if you've already been registered as an OT with a Master's degree, you'll be grandfathered in just like they've done in the past. From my understanding, the years of working experience are more related to the pay you receive. People who get post-professional doctorates do get higher pay, but that's not the same thing as an entry-level OTD. People graduating with entry-level OTD will likely be paid the same as any other entry-level OT.

When I was applying to schools, I applied to both OTD & MOT programs and decided to just go with whichever program I liked the best. I ended up going to an MOT program because it fit my needs better than the other options. You will be fine either way :)

Reactions: 2 users
As earlier as 2025 I believe all schools will be required to transition to a Doctorate. I believe that's why schools are making the transition now to meet that requirement.
the transition will actually occur in 2027.

What’s one more year of school for the highest degree you can get in the profession, when the profession is moving in that direction anyways in requirements?

Hey, I actually think it’s definitely okay if you want to pursue an MOT. I disagree with the statement that all OT jobs will require a doctorate because that’s just impossible. I’ve looked at job opportunities within OT in my area (I live in a big city) and I still see decent amount of job listings that still accept a bachelors in OT which was so long ago. I do believe that a person with a Masters and clinical experience is worth more than a person with zero experience and a doctorate. The only difference is the research aspect. If you want to teach, the doctorates for you. However, if you just want to be a therapist an MOT is fine. All those with an MOT will later get grandfathered into the doctorate anyway.

This may be true if it was someone who’s been practicing for a few years with a masters. But if it was a person graduating from a MOT same year someone graduated from an OTD applying for the same job, the OTD has a leg up because they have an extra clinical and have a leadership aspect built into the curriculum.

This may be true if it was someone who’s been practicing for a few years with a masters. But if it was a person graduating from a MOT same year someone graduated from an OTD applying for the same job, the OTD has a leg up because they have an extra clinical and have a leadership aspect built into the curriculum.

I disagree. They will just be more desperate to get a job to pay the tuition.

Reactions: 1 users

I also disagree with this. Both MOT and OTD students get the same amount of clinical experience. They both get level 1 and 2 fieldworks. The main different is that extra year is mainly fulfilled by their research project. With all the OT’s I’ve met, they all state the same thing. Both an MOT and OTD are equally as competitive academically and in the work force. Those with OTDs also get paid equally as an MOT.

I also disagree with this. Both MOT and OTD students get the same amount of clinical experience. They both get level 1 and 2 fieldworks. The main different is that extra year is mainly fulfilled by their research project. With all the OT’s I’ve met, they all state the same thing. Both an MOT and OTD are equally as competitive academically and in the work force. Those with OTDs also get paid equally as an MOT.
The extra year of research is done in a 6 month clinical like setting so really OTD students have an extra 6 month clincal that can be highly specialized compared to a MOT. There is a lot of misinformation out there about the OTD, and it’s important to know it all especially if that’s the direction the profession is taking.

Hello, everyone!

You can teach with a masters in OT by getting a PhD in education. You certainly don’t need the OTD.

I honestly don’t see the need to go for a doctorates. Takes more time to complete, more money to pay back and there is no stipulation with jobs that say they have to pay you more— as an entry level OT. The research element may not even be beneficial to hiring entities because hands on skills are what’s needed. Our MOT program has a management class build into the requirements. I say run the pro’s and con’s of each type of program and see what fits you best.

One of the differences I have noticed, is that my program allows remediation for tests. That’s the opportunity to bring your grade up (because Anatomy at the grad school level is insane) and my friends OTD program does not have a policy like that. We get to use it once per semester, per class.. cause life can sometimes get in the way. That’s the main reason I went with my program and I don’t doubt for a second, that I won’t be just as employable as OTD’s. (Mostly cause I have lots of job and managerial experience, prior to doing OT.)

Good luck with whatever you choose!