Other OT-Related Information MOT or OTD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INeedToChill

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Right now, I'm considering to both practice AND teach OT. Is it a good idea to go in the practice, then the teaching route for occupational therapy? Is it worth getting my OTD to teach? What's holding me back is that I'll be giving all four of my limbs if I choose the doctorate route.

Originally, I want to just get my MOT, since an OTD isn't required. While applying, I work as a high school teacher. While I enjoy teaching, I'm leaning more towards OT. I want to incorporate both jobs together -- practice OT once I graduate, then teach it in the distant future.

I just need some input. I am applying to both OTD and MOT schools. Thank you guys, and best wishes on applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Kudos to you for looking ahead at what you'd like your career as an OT to look like! I think your eventual decision about which degree to pursue will come down to what you see for yourself in the future. I also have a degree and experience with teaching, and I want to teach OT as well! However, after talking with faculty members in my program and others, I think that being a faculty member at an OTA program will be a better fit for my life and career plans.

For example, if you would like to be part of the faculty at a large research university, complete large-scale research projects, and perhaps develop new clinical theories or practice models, etc. then getting an OTD would likely serve you best. However, being in academia can be very challenging, with expectations to complete research, bring in money, and assume many other roles. In comparison, being a faculty member at an OTA program is slightly less demanding, as the focus is primarily on academic and clinical instruction rather than publication. It doesn't require an OTD, and there is less pressure and maybe better work-life balance. And there are still opportunities to be a program director, researcher, etc. as an OTA instructor. This isn't to say that being an OTA instructor is any less challenging or rewarding than being an MOT or OTD instructor, but you can have much of the same impact on students without as much of the pressure of academia.

This is just my take on it! I may eventually go back for an OTD, but for where the degree is at right now, and the fact that you don't get paid any more than people with a master's, I'm not interested in pursuing it -- especially not when I can start teaching as an adjunct faculty member or other position in a master's level or OTA program with the degree I have right now!

Reactions: 1 user
There are hundreds of threads probably about this. I implore you to ask practitioners if they think that the OTD has been helpful in procuring employment.
From my experience an OTD has zero effect on your ability to procure a job, and little to no benefit in terms of salary without relevant experience.
The OTD is a degree designed for experienced employees in management. It will become an entry level degree, but why would you like to take on that extra debt without a salary benefit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Right now, I'm considering to both practice AND teach OT. Is it a good idea to go in the practice, then the teaching route for occupational therapy? Is it worth getting my OTD to teach? What's holding me back is that I'll be giving all four of my limbs if I choose the doctorate route.

Originally, I want to just get my MOT, since an OTD isn't required. While applying, I work as a high school teacher. While I enjoy teaching, I'm leaning more towards OT. I want to incorporate both jobs together -- practice OT once I graduate, then teach it in the distant future.

I just need some input. I am applying to both OTD and MOT schools. Thank you guys, and best wishes on applying this year!
Hi, i am involved in hiring rehab staff for my department. Honestly, OTD vs MOT does not make any difference if you are applying in long term or sub acute rehab settings. It is your passion and your personality that can take you higher in interview process among other OTs. It may be different if you are planning to work in hand therapy or out patient clinic. so you also need to determine what setting is for you to correctly decide on this. i hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I made a Facebook group for future otd students if anyone would like to join! Just a place to give tips to each other throughout the whole process. Just look up Pre- Doctor of Occupational Therapy Students on Facebook and you should see the group:)

I'm applying for Master's in OT but am noticing variability between the number of credits or units required by each program. I know that 1 unit equates to 3.5-4 semester hours but I'm still trying to make sense of why there's sometimes a big difference in the number of credits earned between programs offering the same degree. For example, Dominican University requires 80 units (which is almost enough for the doctorate ), USC is 68-76 units, St. Kate's 71 credits, and University of Puget Sound which lists a minimum of 14.5 units. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!

An OTD will not allow you to teach at the university level. You must get a Ph.D. to teach and conduct research at the university level, especially for the more renowned institutions. You may be able to teach at a community college level for COTA programs, depending on what state you will reside in.

I have my OTD, however in hindsight I'd have received a MOT and while working as a MOT, completed an online-based post-doctoral program. It'd have save me time and money. Having the OTD means you've been groomed for managerial roles and gained the basic foundations of clinical OT.