Most important pain management book for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I already have many pain textbooks, handbooks, and review books on the shelf for my upcoming pain fellowship. I'm not sure which should be the first to read from start to finish. (I realize I'll need to read multiple textbooks eventually).

If you were to read only one pain management textbook during your anesthesiology based pain management fellowship, which would you choose?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Good question.

I'm planning on using the ISIS Practice Guildlines, Fenton and maybe Pain Management Secrets. I'm also planning on getting Slipman's book when it comes out.

What about classic texts like Bonica?

Disciple said:
Good question.

I'm planning on using the ISIS Practice Guildlines, Fenton and maybe Pain Management Secrets. I'm also planning on getting Slipman's book when it comes out.

What about classic texts like Bonica?

I have Bonica's text and it is bulky, outdated, and clumsy to read. Just like every major textbook. It's nice to have on the shelf and the data is better to get online or in the journals. I think Waldman's common and uncommon atlases are both good. Pain Secrets not so good. Fenton is good. Bogduk Ls-pine and SIJ text is essential and easy to read (harder to understand the physics but I'm not that smart).

Members don't see this ad :)
lobelsteve said:
I have Bonica's text and it is bulky, outdated, and clumsy to read. Just like every major textbook. It's nice to have on the shelf and the data is better to get online or in the journals. I think Waldman's common and uncommon atlases are both good. Pain Secrets not so good. Fenton is good. Bogduk Ls-pine and SIJ text is essential and easy to read (harder to understand the physics but I'm not that smart).

I'm generally pleased with Principles and Practice of Pain Mgmt. (Warfield/Bajwa--Brigham). Multiple authors from programs around the country (thankfully, not just from Boston). Less than two years old. Well organized, good references.

I think the new Wall and Melzack and the companion handbook are great references.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there Mehul,

I met you at the NRH pain fellowship interview.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think Wall and Melzack (pub 2006) is a great textbook for very detailed and very up to date information/reference, and is less useful as a clinical companion. RE: Wall and Melzack's handbook...not as practical as I would like. Plus, it was published in 2003.

Bonica's very comprehensive but out of date at this time (published 2001) compared to Melzack's.

The Warfield/Bajwa text, published 2004, is good, and right now you can find them online for $15 shipped! Look at abebooks.com

My favorite right now for practical clinical info is "Essentials of Pain Medicine and Regional Anesthesia" by Benzon/Raja/Malloy/Liu/Fishman published 2005. Although I'm a little pissed I'm recommending a book edited by Benzon, who runs a pain fellowship that refuses to take applications from non-anesthesiologists. He'll be forced to change come July 2007 when the new ACGME guidelines come into play.

Weiner's pain managment published 2006 is huge, covers a large range of esoteric topics "Aromatherapy for pain relief" "Magnetic Therapy". I have not fully reviewed it yet...

One book I really like right now is Decision Making in Pain Management by Ramamurthy. Not a textbook, more of a clinical companion. Gives an algorithmic approach to common pain issues. While I understand the dogmatic pitfals of clinical algorithms, it is nice to have as a new pain fellow to get a handle on things.

I really like Waldman's atlases of Common and Uncommon pain syndroms.

Are you all aware of MD Consult's Pain Managment service? $10/month gets you online pain textbooks and full text of the major pain journals. An AWESOME deal! Check it out.

Ligament said:
I'm a little pissed I'm recommending a book edited by Benzon, who runs a pain fellowship that refuses to take applications from non-anesthesiologists. He'll be forced to change come July 2007 when the new ACGME guidelines come into play.

That is kind of strange. Northwestern won't even take RIC residents.

What's up with Chicago?

4 of 6 programs won't consider applicants from other specialties. Including the institution I'm at.

1 of the 2 that does, does so begrudgingly, and then only if they're in a bind to fill. :thumbdown: