Most important know-hows of critical care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoBlo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to strengthen my knowledge of how to handle critical care patients before I start residency this summer. I'm thinking that top things to absolutely have cold before starting a medical critical care month are

1. Management of all types of shock, including indications and contra-indications of vasopressors

2. Management of acute mi with and without cardiac decompensation

3. Management of ischemic and hemorhagic stroke

4. Management of sepsis

5. Ventilatory settings

Anyone suggest any others?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out ccmtutorials.com Covers most of what you should be familiar with. Don't think that you need to know it all though. You are there to be taught and to learn. Review some basic physiology (brain, heart, lung, renal, liver) and CV pharmacology. Maybe the seniors on the board can say what they expect an intern to know (probably won't be much).

Members don't see this ad :)
Most important thing: know when to call for help. If you don't know, don't try to do things on your own. Call your upper levels.
The above is the most important thing. As far as skills I would do as many airways as possible and get exeprience with central venous access ijs and subclavian - do an anestheisa rotation if you have to. I had to emergently intubate a patient sat night. i of course immediatley called for back up but if i would have waited much longer i am sure the guy would have cored thankfully i secured the airway but i had an anesthesiologist coming up to the icu for help if i couldn't. he walked in as i was passing through the cords. right after that i placed an ij-line. it was nice to be able to get that stuff going on my own the rest of the stuff you have a little time to look up.
mario

I'm looking to strengthen my knowledge of how to handle critical care patients before I start residency this summer. I'm thinking that top things to absolutely have cold before starting a medical critical care month are

1. Management of all types of shock, including indications and contra-indications of vasopressors

2. Management of acute mi with and without cardiac decompensation

3. Management of ischemic and hemorhagic stroke

4. Management of sepsis

5. Ventilatory settings

Anyone suggest any others?
Any questions about ventilators, PM me....it's what I do for a living. :D