Most important chapters of High-Yield Embryology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlianaSedai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've got a copy of the 2nd edition of HY Embryo for Step I. I'm told the 2nd edition is actually a little too detailed and the first edition was better and more concise.

Can anyone offer a good breakdown of the most important parts to read from the 2nd edition, and what's the "extra" material?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by IlianaSedai
So I've got a copy of the 2nd edition of HY Embryo for Step I. I'm told the 2nd edition is actually a little too detailed and the first edition was better and more concise.

Can anyone offer a good breakdown of the most important parts to read from the 2nd edition, and what's the "extra" material?

I think this book is too small and too concise to worry about picking through it. The whole thing should take you less than a day to read and probably memorize, and it is hard to say what isnt important.

A upper-year told me that he purchased edition two and borrowed a classmate's first edition and crossed out everything in edition 2 that wasn't in edition 1. He convinced me to buy edition one, which is some 70 pages shorter. I think that I did alright on embryo without those extra 70 pages. I also had BRS embryo which I used during the school year too, but I didn't use it to study for step I. Don't waste too much time with embryo, if you don't get it, just try and memorize a few key facts and then move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edition one (1996) was 50 pages. Edition two (2000) is 192 pages.

I would page through the entire book, breeze through the chapters towards the end such as embryology of the upper and lower extremity etc. Unfortunately, embryo is often over-represented on some tests. The only data I have to back the previous statement is anecdotal, however. The good thing is the embryology questions are often straightforward if you have a decent understanding of the material. I felt more than prepared after reading through the new edition of the high yield series.