Most Efficient Way To Gain Points

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoHighways

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've once again pushed my MCAT back after a month of studying yielded only a one point (from 500 to 501) overall increase in score. I devoted the last month to studying mostly biochemistry. Breakdown from AAMC FL #1 to #3 (I opted to take #3 second) is as follows.

My CP held steady at 125
CARS was up a point to 128
BIOL went up three points to a 126
PS was down three points to a 122

It's very apparent that I need to devote some serious studying to psychology and sociology. Experimental design questions (particularly within psych/soc) tripped me up as well. I simply don't have the background familiarity with research or any of the psych/soc stuff at all, and often times I can't even eliminate a single answer choice. I've tried reading the 100 page document, but without any prior knowledge, the information doesn't really stick. Is the best approach simply to see as many psych/soc problems as possible and review not just the correct answer, but every answer choice as well and why they are wrong? Should I attempt to watch the entire Khan collection of psych/soc? I am starting to notice some recurring themes at least for psych (Piaget's development, psych disorders, neurotransmitters, brain anatomy and function,) but as stated earlier, when it becomes to specific theories/concepts, I'm having lots of trouble.

I figure really learning psych/soc along with continued focus on biochemistry is probably the most efficient use of my time. I think my biology score can and will continue to improve with repeatedly hammering DNA transcription and translation (with associated enzymes), factors that control gene expression, and metabolism. I have a handle on my amino acids, but do need to practice single letter abbreviations. Maybe I can pick up a point or two with some OChem/Chem/Phys review a couple weeks out from testing by committing some formulas to memory? Or should I dedicate more time to this section, since it typically isn't completely foreign to me and some content review may help knock the cobwebs off? I really just want to post a respectable score (508+). I think the rest of my application is will hold its own.

It just sucks to struggle so much. I consider myself to be a good test taker. No associated anxiety issues. Usually having the correct answer present makes things easy for me in that I don't actually have to reproduce anything, I just need some familiarity. I've never really had to study like this before. It's been very humbling experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd definitely watch Khan Academy for psych/soc and read a review book on it (I did Princeton Review). Psych/Soc is a lot of pure memorization of theories/terms, so you will have to devote a fair amount of time to that. It is not hard, just time-consuming.

Each exam is different. One could focus on Ochem, another could focus on physics. You just never know. If you're scoring a 125 on Chem/Phys there is definitely a foundational issue somewhere so memorizing formulas/concepts would be in your best interest.

Moving from a 501 -> 508+ in a month is definitely doable. However, you only improved one overall point in the month prior? So, change up how you're studying because, realistically, it doesn't seem like you're currently on the 7+ point increase path. Good luck though!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I would also add that it’s important to keep studying every subject, even if you’re stronger in it. People make the mistake of putting less time into their best sections, but you can potentially really climb the curve on those.

In short, I encourage you to patch your weaker sections, but don’t underestimate the power of keeping each subject as fresh as possible

Reactions: 1 user
I took psychology and sociology as a college freshman. I didn't take take the MCAT until 5 years afterward.

I scored (redacted) in P/S by (basically) only studying the 100 page Khan Academy document. Memorize all of it and you're set to go.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend and I both used the 87 page khan doc and made an Anki card for every term. Did all reviews until a day before the test, both got 131 on P/S

I scored a 132 on P/S on test day and agree with the others that it's the easiest to improve (averaged 129 on the FLs, score increased each time from 127 -> 129 -> 131 for the FLs). I used the 300 pg KA document and UWorld.

Sounds like there's hope. I found a great resource on youtube called "Crash Course" and it's hitting on a lot of terms I didn't recognize when taking the two AAMC FL's. I'm almost through the sociology content and will start with the psychology series afterward. I'm tempted to reset AAMC FL #3 without even reviewing what I got wrong to see how much I improve just after watching and gaining some familiarity with psych/soc concepts, then supplement by refering back to the 100 page Khan document.

So for right now, I'm really focused on getting through the psych/soc content. Will touch up on some physics, as I feel its my weakest science at this point in that it's the farthest removed/least fresh in my mind and struggled with it in general when taking it. Waves, energy, force/work/power, and volts/amps/ohms seem to be the typical physics related questions that I've seen on the two AAMC FL's I've taken.

High yield things to pick up:

1) entire P/S khan document memorized
2) Le Chatelier's Principle
3) Amino Acids and lab techniques
4) Biochemistry pathways
5) Physics equations
6) Enzyme kinetics (especially Linweaver-Burke plots)
7) carbonyl reactions and IR NMR (if I had to pick something from organic chem it would be these).

I can almost guarantee that you will receive questions about most, if not all of these topics on your exam, so definitely know them! Obviously, anything can show up on the exam and there is no such thing as high or low yield, but if you are just wanting to focus on a few things to gain points, I would look at these! Let me know if you have any other questions and keep up the great work!

Reactions: 2 users