Most educational and DO-friendly FM programs (NYC area)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I've posted similar threads in the past, sorry. This question is a little different though.
So for residency I know for sure I want to do Family Med. Furthermore, I want my residency training to be somewhere reputable with a good program that's highly educational. Basically, I want it to be the best possible training. I'm considering hospitals in Chicago and New York only. I already know the training opportunities are better in Chicago. That said, are there any DO-friendly hospitals in NYC (and vicinity) which offer great FM training programs?
I promise I've been looking, but everything (besides Mt. Sinai) seems to be either a bad program or not DO-friendly. One that looked pretty okay was Nassau Communities South Hospital's FM residency. I thought St. Barnabas' FM residency looked promising but people really seem to diss the hell out of that hospital.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If by in the vicinity includes Jersey and Philly, then yes there are options. I interviewed in NYC, Jersey and Philly and ranked all of the Philly places above the NYC places. I even did a TRI year in NYC, so got to know the lay of the land a little better and I’m very happy that I’m doing my residency in Philly.

T0 be honest, NYC FM programs don't tend to have good reputations. They are known for overworking residents, making them do a ton of scut (blood draws, transporting patients, etc.), and in general not valuing FM/FM residents (e.g. Columbia's FM program). I honestly would really think twice before committing to going to an NYC FM program or equating NYC with good FM training, just because its a competitive place to live.

As for being at a "highly educational" program, I don't really know what that means. Almost any ACGME FM program is going to be "educational". They're residency programs. Do you mean a place with lots of didactics? A place with lots of hands on guidance? A place with tons of research? A place geared towards training people for Academic FM? You really need to clarify what you mean by that.

Many FM programs are going to give you good training, there are hundreds after all. You need to narrow down what you want in a program though. Do you want a ton of procedures, rural medicine, a ton of inpatient time, do you just want to focus on outpatient, do you want a ton of OB/Women's health, Sports med, Academic medicine, Behavioral health, tons of research, etc. When you narrow that down, then you can focus on finding places that match those goals. I would also ask more in the FM forum, because this forum is mostly for students.

As for Chicago, its a mixed bag. There are some very solid programs there as well as some mediocre ones. Most are DO friendly, because FM in general is DO friendly. As for Philly, I agree with the poster above, and I'd say that it has a lot of good programs, again most of whom are DO friendly. If you expand your search out, as in within an hour of Philly or big cities, you get even more options for very good training.

Reactions: 2 users