Most Collegey DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednovice12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and am trying to find out what type on schools to put on my list. I've been on here long enough to know that the best kind of DO schools are the ones you get into, but I just wanted to see which schools are the ones that have more of a college campus/learning environment setting with big teaching hospitals instead of being in a strip mall by the highway exit, if you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
KCU, WVSOM, OSU, UNECOM (I think) and DMU are the ones I know of personally with more of a campus feel.

Edit: While ACOM was in one big building it wasn’t a renovated warehouse and it felt like a campus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can second KCU. Nova as well, since it's part of a pretty big university campus (with an undergrad and what not). I interviewed at 5 DO schools this cycle and those were the only two that weren't in old warehouses.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM-SH has a really nice campus. It was only a small part of the full campus but it was beautiful. It felt more like an old style university but it was still nice.

+1 for KCU and DMU.

Really neat campuses.

I'm applying this cycle and am trying to find out what type on schools to put on my list. I've been on here long enough to know that the best kind of DO schools are the ones you get into, but I just wanted to see which schools are the ones that have more of a college campus/learning environment setting with big teaching hospitals instead of being in a strip mall by the highway exit, if you know what I mean.

If you want a college feel check out the medical schools that are part of an undergraduate institution. You can get involved in undergraduate events and intramural sports if thats what you are into. They also get additional funding and support from the parent institution instead of relying solely on medical student tuition. I’d imagine thats why these schools tend to not to be in a strip mall with poor clinical sites.

Off the top of my head these schools include UNE, Rowan, Campbell U, KYCOM, Marian U, Ohio U, NOVA, NYIT, OSU, TCOM, and MSU.

Of course there will be DO schools that have a college feel without actually having an undergrad associated with it, but these are a good starting point.

MSU (on Michigan States Big Ten Campus) thats prolly number 1 and also VCOM's campuses are on Virginia Tech, Auburn, and some other big school in Carolina. NSU is on a big beautiful campus. Most others are more graduate school type campuses

RowanSOM is not on the main Rowan U. campus in Glassboro. The school is about 20 minutes away with its own 3-4 building complex in Stratford but directly next to their teaching hospital now part of Philadelphia's Jefferson Health System

NYIT's med school is on the main NYIT undergrad campus in Old Westbury and is literally next to Long Island University's Post Campus.

Last edited:
+1 for Campbell. During my interview, they told us that some med students played some intramural sports with undergrads.

RowanSOM is not on the main Rowan U. campus in Glassboro. The school is about 20 minutes away with its own 3-4 building complex in Stratford but directly next to their teaching hospital now part of Philadelphia's Jefferson health System

NYIT's med school is on the main NYIT undergrad campus in Old Westbury and is literally next to Long Island University's Post Campus.

Yeah I was about to say Rowan-SOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM has a campus but only with other health professions, no undergrads.

One of the only good thing about many DO schools is not having to deal with undergrads.

Reactions: 5 users
Midwestern CCOM (no attached hospital but great relationships with many big name hospitals in Chicago), KCU, DMU (Again, no hospital attached, some of their relationships with hospitals in flux but otherwise a great "college like" atmosphere.

MSU (on Michigan States Big Ten Campus) thats prolly number 1 and also VCOM's campuses are on Virginia Tech, Auburn, and some other big school in Carolina. NSU is on a big beautiful campus. Most others are more graduate school type campuses
VCOM-Carolinas is actually a free standing med school. There are lots of other colleges in the surrounding areas, but none are associated with VCOM.

NSU's campus is really beautiful. It's also nice that the center for collaborative research is next door to the DO school building... looks like students there won't have any trouble finding research opportunities.

Also look into Ohio University's DO school, the school is embedded within the campus of Ohio University, and Athens is a great college town that have lots of intramurals, clubs, etc if you're looking for that on the side of school. However, if you're not an Ohio resident, you will need to commit to 5 years of practice in the state of Ohio when you graduate, which is a drawback for many non-OH residents applying to the institution

UNECOM feels collegey because it shares a campus with the undergrads. But you don't really notice them, so I've been told. The med students have the own dedicated building / rooms. Parking is an isssue.

I second WVSOM. The campus is amazing, and the med students have it all to themselves.

MSUCOM is right on MSU's campus and very college-y but also has its own building. East Lansing is a pretty cool town and the entire campus turns into one giant party on certain days like Halloween. It's quite a fun place.

Can second KCU. Nova as well, since it's part of a pretty big university campus (with an undergrad and what not). I interviewed at 5 DO schools this cycle and those were the only two that weren't in old warehouses.
That's a thing?!

TCOM is affiliated with UNT and TCU but not on the same campus. It is apart of UNT health science center so there are PA, pharm, PT, phd, MPH, and Medsci students. Definitely not one building.

NYITCOM-Jonesboro is located in the center of the Arkansas State University campus.

NYITCOM-Jonesboro is located in the center of the Arkansas State University campus.

I actually love the campus because as an NYIT student we have our own building (Wilson Hall), but you also have access to all resources that ASU students use (libraries, student center, student orgs, a beautiful gym, sports events, dining hall, meal plans, housing, etc.). We also do events with ASU students and students in other health professions as well.

The only DO school I know of that has an attached hospital and sorta have a campus feeling (but kind of in the middle of nowhere) is ATSU-KCOM. Most of the other one I know of that have sort of a "campus feel", don't have an attached hospital (CUSOM, KCU-KC, NYIT-jonesboro...), and some might have sort of an attached hospital, but not the "campus feel" (KCU-joplin...).

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited: