Most applied to specialties this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminoma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this data in a post/thread on SDN earlier but can't find it now. Can someone link me?

Members don't see this ad.

It's actually very useful for fellowship candidates in smaller field to predict how competitive the season will be and for program to figure out how many to interview.

For example, in IR fellowship, there are less US grads applying this year but they are each applying to more positions. This data allow programs to know that they may need to interview wider than usual if they want an US grad.

So if we noticed that there were fewer applications to our speciality from both US grads and I/FMGs, that should be a good thing, right? If it's a significant number, then that generally means it's less competitive this year, correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
For US graduates who applied for the match this year, in descending order, it's:

Internal Medicine 9,965
Family Medicine 3,762
Surgery 3,065
Pediatrics 2,989
Emergency Medicine 2,822
Psychiatry 1,809
Anesthesiology 1,727
Obstetrics & Gynecology 1,651
Radiology-Diagnostic 1,332

For US and IMG combined, the biggest switch was pediatrics>surgery and psych>EM, as you can see below:

Internal Medicine 22,852
Family Medicine 12,334
Pediatrics 6,076
Surgery 5,216
Psychiatry 4,886
Emergency Medicine 3,550
Anesthesiology 2,493
Obstetrics & Gynecology 2,440
Radiology-Diagnostic 1,969

So if we noticed that there were fewer applications to our speciality from both US grads and I/FMGs, that should be a good thing, right? If it's a significant number, then that generally means it's less competitive this year, correct?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Sure...if that makes you feel better.