Morgantown, WV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisomy13

ultra
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is merely a cut-n-paste from our department's website, but I think any exposure is helpful. It's a great hospital, a beautiful part of the country, and we're looking for more faculty...

Admins, if this is not permitted, PM me and I'll try to post this properly.

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/som/recruitment/faculty/anesthesiology/

Members don't see this ad.

So how are things at WVU? I heard the residency program was/is on probation and they seem to be working hard to recruit faculty. Putting the two together would make me be a little cautious about the place, though I heard there's a new chairman working on getting things running better. That said, Morgantown is quite pretty.

So how are things at WVU? I heard the residency program was/is on probation and they seem to be working hard to recruit faculty. Putting the two together would make me be a little cautious about the place, though I heard there's a new chairman working on getting things running better. That said, Morgantown is quite pretty.

We're on probation, with RRC visiting in April 2008. Our last internal review was a few weeks ago and was much, much more positive than the previous review. The new chairman and new program director, among others, have made great efforts in fixing the deficits and improving the program. I've seen a lot of positive academic changes since starting here and am very optimistic about the future of the program (but i might be biased - i liked it enough to rank it very highly even before the new chairman and PD - call it a gut feeling). You'll be clinically solid after 4 years here.

Regarding faculty - we have gained some new attendings, both from outside and from last year's graduating seniors, and have lost a few as well. From what I understand some of those who left were just not happy (or rather their spouses/families were not happy) with Morgantown - it's a smallish collegetown and if that is not your style it can seem slow at times. If you are outdoors-oriented it's a great part of the country to spend a few years. I'd definitely check the program out if you are thinking about interviewing. The worst case scenario is you don't like it and don't rank it.

PM me if you have specific ?'s

Members don't see this ad :)
We're on probation, with RRC visiting in April 2008. Our last internal review was a few weeks ago and was much, much more positive than the previous review. The new chairman and new program director, among others, have made great efforts in fixing the deficits and improving the program. I've seen a lot of positive academic changes since starting here and am very optimistic about the future of the program (but i might be biased - i liked it enough to rank it very highly even before the new chairman and PD - call it a gut feeling). You'll be clinically SOLID after 4 years here.

Regarding faculty - we have gained some wonderful new attendings, both from outside and from last year's graduating seniors, and have lost a few as well. From what I understand some of those who left were just not happy (or rather their spouses/families) were not happy with Morgantown - it's a smallish collegetown and if that is not your style it can seem slow at times. If you are outdoors-oriented it's a great part of the country to spend a few years. I'd definitely check the program out if you are thinking about interviewing. The worst case scenario is you don't like it and don't rank it.

PM me if you have specific ?'s

Just a question about your program...Have they started offering interviews? And do they prefer WVa residents? My brother is applying but he is not from WV and I was curious. Also, you seem to have a D.O. friendly program. That scares people.

Just a question about your program...Have they started offering interviews?

Yes.

And do they prefer WVa residents? My brother is applying but he is not from WV and I was curious.

I don't think it is so much that they prefer WV residents, as WV residents prefer to stay at WVU.

Also, you seem to have a D.O. friendly program. That scares people.

I don't know how to respond to this. If it scares away pompous conceited people who have problems with DO's then that's good, because that type of personality would not thrive here. I'm an MD who is willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach, be it an attending or resident, DO or MD, etc.

I thought we had moved past the MD-DO bs already.

Just a question about your program...Have they started offering interviews? And do they prefer WVa residents? My brother is applying but he is not from WV and I was curious. Also, you seem to have a D.O. friendly program. That scares people.

Ugh, why would it scare people?

I am considering ranking WV program in top 3, one of the reasons is that I like small towns and like outdoors, namely climbing. Any idea how close it is to any climbing areas from Morgantown?

Also, how is call schedule? I tried to look at ERAS to figure it out but I better ask someone that knows more :D