more stethoscope questions..Masters II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got to this forum thru googling "HP stethoscope tubing" because I'm looking for tubing for my old HP S/R stethoscope, which is still available thru eBay. I'm a practicing pulm/crit care MD >25 yrs in practice, so I have lived thru all the stethoscopes here. Purchased a Littman electronic stethoscope because I missed a carotid bruit on a pt who ended up having a CVA, and discovered that I had high end hearing loss (yea, I listened to too much loud rock in the '70s). However, having tried various 'scopes, I wanted to add my 2 cents.

Having tried the basic "you just graduated" Littmann, the various flavors of Littman including their electronic, then the electronic one with ambient noise reduction (which is far better than the original - model # on the ANR is 4100) and having lived thru the era of the Harvey 3-bell as well, here is my order of preference:

1) HP S/R - mfg by Phillips - this scope is far and away the best scope that I have ever used. The quality of tones is superb. I still use this scope and have replaced the tubing at least 10 times. I have purchased the aluminum bell, and have used it for a number of years mainly because I kept dropping the scope and my bell kept breaking. The tones delivered from the large, machined alumnium bell are excellent, and although I have dropped the scope on the bell several times, and the bell does have a slight ding, it really is worth the price. By all means, buy this scope if you can get it. Remember that the $350 spent today will factor over your career, and my scope was purchased in 1982, so the "rent" on this scope for me has been $12.50 per year. I personally would pay $1000 for this scope today. From the maintenance standpoint, you'll want to use a pipe cleaner or some other means (I have run water thru the metal earpieces and airblown them dry) to remove the fine dust that does collect in it over time and reduces acoustic quality, but I have only had to do this about 4 times since I purchased the scope.

This scope is so superior to the electronics, and even to the Littmann Cardiology series, that you won't regret spending the extra money.

RE: the tubing length. The original HP Sprague-Rappaport stethoscope came with short tubing, and docs have done many things to modify this. I have seen the tubing metal-clipped together, longer tubes purchased, surgical tubing substituted for the original HP tubing, etc. My opinion is that the shorter tubing offers superior sound quality, and you should use the original tubing if you can get it. Reason for this is that HP did an amazing amount of research in developing this stethoscope, and looked for materials that were acoustically matched, including the rubber in the tubing. The only problem with the tubing is that it lasts about 3 yrs before the rubber starts to degrade and become sticky, especially where it rubs on your collar at the earpieces, and at the place where it attaches to the bell. Replacing the tubing is a piece of cake, anyone can do it, no special instructions required.

Disadvantages of the scope: somewhat less "wearability" around the neck than the Littmanns. The large machined aluminum bell which you have to purchase extra from the dude in Colorado doesn't fit well into a sports coat pocket. But you WILL look badass with this scope, and you can use it as a swinging mace club and do some serious damage so someone's head if anyone wants to get violent with you. (I have not personally tried this!)

2) Littmann Cardiology III scope I think is a distant 2nd to the HP. The advantage is that the scope easily drapes around your neck, and fits into your white coat pocket better. Acoustically, the tones are not as beautiful as the HP, but the sound quality is good.

3) the Harvey - 3-head scope with the corrugated diaphragm - This is an impressive scope. It was orignially manufactured with longer tubing and had a metal clip to clip the tubing together. I think the sound quality is a B+ if the HP is an A+. The longer tubing puts nice space between you and the pt with TB.

4) The other Littmann scopes are about the same to my ears in terms of quality after this.

5) In my opinion, the "tunable head" should be eliminated. This concept has never worked for me, and I do not recommend any one-head scope to medical students. You need to learn to understand and appreciate how to use a stethoscope bell.

Thanks for reading this long post!

Members don't see this ad.

HP S/R - mfg by Phillips - this scope is far and away the best scope that I have ever used.

I really enjoyed reading your stethoscope review. I think the only thing that concerns me with the Philips (other than the difficulty in finding them) is that you're currently having trouble replacing the tubing. It seems like overtime there will be less and less tubing available and then one day the only guy selling them will be Dwayne in Kansas City. It's good to hear your like the Cardiology III as well. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now but it seems my money may not go very far.

Thanks for your kind words. Granted, the tubing may be harder to get, but someone somewhere will realize that these stethoscopes are such excellent legacy scopes (I hope you do have the opportunity to try one!) that there will long be a market for the tubing, even if it is "slightly overpriced", so, I guess for now, our friend Dwayne is going to do well.

One thing that does impress me is the admission by physicians my age (in my 50's) that our ability to auscult tones decreases with age. I remember the day when I used to put my pts through the various maneuvers to bring out clicks, systolic maneuvers, etc. and those days vanished with the advent of the ECHO doppler. There was an interesting article published a while back in the Ann of Int Med regarding the sensitivity / specificity of the various cardiac auscultatory maneuvers, including the ability to detect mitral regurgitation, for instance. The s/s of some of these maneuvers is so low as to really mitigate against doing them at all, they are only for historical interest.

Detection of aortic stenosis and carotid bruits is the reason I purchased the electronic Littmann 4100, and it has done a great job for me. However, I keep my HP and sometimes use both on the same pt, which is worthwhile, albeit perhaps somewhat inefficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting post, on one of my favorite subjects.

Ive never had the opportunity to use a Rappaport-Sprague, though I have an original double-tube Harvey, with a double (not triple) head, which is amazing. Incidentally, within the last year or so, the original Harvey has been d/c'ed

I'll respectully disagree with the Cardio III being pegged at #2.

I used a Welch Allyn Harvey Elite for a number of years before I mistakenly "upgraded" to a Littmann Master Cardio. The Littmann was booming and the sounds slurred into each other. The tunable diaphragm ...well.... its a marketing gimmick. It doesnt alternate between high and low frequencies like a traditional diaphragm and bell does.

I tossed it, and got a Littmann Cardio III because you can convert the pediatric side to a traditional bell. With the conversion, the bell is decent. However, the diaphragm is still tunable, and tempermental. It was then that I discovered that if you press hard enough to blanch the skin, you can sometimes get a good high frequency response. However, the sounds still mush together. But the bottom line is, if I hadnt learned on a traditional stethoscope, I wouldnt know what low and high frquency are supposed to sound like.

So, I would say that the Welch Allyn Elite or DLX should be at #2, rather than the Littmann Cardio III. It has all of the ergonomics of the Cardio III, with acoustics that are similar to the original Harvey (to my ears the sacrifice is in the loudness).

So if you cant find or afford a RS or Original Harvey, I would go with 1) Welch Allyn Harvey Elite or DLX 2)Littmann Cardio III converted to a traditional bell.

See, the stethoscope thing worries me. I use a Littman Classic II SE (I'm a first year), and for now it works just fine. I've had people tell me that I'll eventually have to get something nicer, but I tried all of the scopes earlier this year when the company recs visited our school, and I didn't like any of them. My problem is that the scopes are too heavy...they fall out of my ears no matter how much I adjust. I have the lightweight Classic, and it stays where it should just fine, without me having to hold it in place with my hand. I can't very well hear anything if the earpieces keep getting pulled out because of gravity!

Any suggestions on this? Does anyone know of a cardiology grade stethoscope that comes in a lightweight option?

So if you cant find or afford a RS or Original Harvey, I would go with 1) Welch Allyn Harvey Elite or DLX 2)Littmann Cardio III converted to a traditional bell.

I would love to listen to a HP S/R or Harvey, but I got one of the new Harvey Elites after using a DRG cardio for 3 years and I can see a huge improvement. The DRGs were great for me to hear s3/s4 but murmurs were muffled and all the sounds were soft. In part because I used the Micro-resistant covers/diaphragm. The Litmans always sounded slurred to me, but the Harvey is much nicer as it's louder than the DRG and but much "sharper" than the Littman's

See, the stethoscope thing worries me. I use a Littman Classic II SE (I'm a first year), and for now it works just fine. I've had people tell me that I'll eventually have to get something nicer, but I tried all of the scopes earlier this year when the company recs visited our school, and I didn't like any of them. My problem is that the scopes are too heavy...they fall out of my ears no matter how much I adjust. I have the lightweight Classic, and it stays where it should just fine, without me having to hold it in place with my hand. I can't very well hear anything if the earpieces keep getting pulled out because of gravity!

Any suggestions on this? Does anyone know of a cardiology grade stethoscope that comes in a lightweight option?

DRG makes a titanium steth which is supposed to be good (designed by Bose sound systems)... but its almost $200 But check with JayneCobb

OK, I just bought the Harvey DLX with the 3 heads online, as my Littman Cards III got lost @work and nobody will admit to having it. Some nurse or resident has gotten hold of a better stethoscope than they had, and evidently doesn't want to give it up...LOL.

I'll post later let you know how I think the DLX compares with the Littman Cardiology III.

I'll post later let you know how I think the DLX compares with the Littman Cardiology III.

I think you'll be impressed, but everyone's ears are different.

As far as jace's mom, I'm a little confused as to why the stethoscope isn't staying in your ears. My stethoscope will fall out of my ears if I let it hang from my ears, but that's not comfortable. If the issue is you have a small head and the ear pieces are not close enough together, most decent scopes have an adjustable spring to make them tighter or looser. I did not have the DRG titanium model, just the regular model. I liked it, but as I mentioned above the sounds were not as loud as the Harvey.

OK, I just bought the Harvey DLX with the 3 heads online, as my Littman Cards III got lost @work and nobody will admit to having it. Some nurse or resident has gotten hold of a better stethoscope than they had, and evidently doesn't want to give it up...LOL.

May I suggest - Clinical Cardio Made Ridiculously Simple, by Chizner, It's comprehensive, and explains things in terms of that particular 3 headed scope. Or for a lighter read, Cardiac Pearls by Harvey.

As far as jace's mom, I'm a little confused as to why the stethoscope isn't staying in your ears. My stethoscope will fall out of my ears if I let it hang from my ears, but that's not comfortable. If the issue is you have a small head and the ear pieces are not close enough together, most decent scopes have an adjustable spring to make them tighter or looser. I did not have the DRG titanium model, just the regular model. I liked it, but as I mentioned above the sounds were not as loud as the Harvey.
I'm not really sure either. The salesperson there was knowledgable about scopes, and she tried to help me. We tried adjusting the spring, we tried different earpieces...I couldn't get a good seal with any of the earpieces. She said my ears were shaped a little small and curved downward at the canal, if that makes any sense, and that I could bend the "ear" part of the scope to make it fit better (on some models). Unfortunately, I couldn't try that with the scopes she had, so I couldn't see if that would make a difference. I was getting the best seal and the best overall sound (on most of the scopes I couldn't hear anything at all) with my lightweight Littman, so I just kept it. I might try the DRG, though.

Thanks again!

I'm not really sure either. The salesperson there was knowledgable about scopes, and she tried to help me. We tried adjusting the spring, we tried different earpieces...I couldn't get a good seal with any of the earpieces. She said my ears were shaped a little small and curved downward at the canal, if that makes any sense, and that I could bend the "ear" part of the scope to make it fit better (on some models). Unfortunately, I couldn't try that with the scopes she had, so I couldn't see if that would make a difference. I was getting the best seal and the best overall sound (on most of the scopes I couldn't hear anything at all) with my lightweight Littman, so I just kept it. I might try the DRG, though.

Thanks again!

The Welch Allyn scopes have binaurals on which you can adjust the angle. They also have about 5 different kinds of earpieces.

You could also try a $15 Rappaport Sprague copy. Adjustable binaurals that curve down a bit, and come with earpieces that are so small, it feels like I had a myringotomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't seem to find the Phillips Sprague-Rappaport anywhere and i have been looking for many days now. So they are out of production and no one wants to sell theirs :( ... any idea where I can get one?
So is the next best deal Harveys? DRG Ti? I am currently using Littmann Cardio III and the sound does appear muffled (but is still 100 times better than the cheap ones tey put in contact-precautions room)

I can't seem to find the Phillips Sprague-Rappaport anywhere and i have been looking for many days now. So they are out of production and no one wants to sell theirs :( ... any idea where I can get one?
So is the next best deal Harveys? DRG Ti? I am currently using Littmann Cardio III and the sound does appear muffled (but is still 100 times better than the cheap ones tey put in contact-precautions room)

You can set up your Ebay account to email you whenever someone lists one for auction. But, there hasnt been any posted for months. Next best deal is a Welch Allyn Harvey - if you can find an original double tube (which has just recently been d/c'ed), or the DLX or Elite.

I dont have a DRG, but from the looks of the tubing, and the technical specs, it probably does an excellent job of cutting out ambient noise. However, its quite expensive.

Last edited:

So what's the verdict? which one is better?

Turbostar, Elite medical seems to have found some (equivalent) binaural tubing for the RS, don't know about it's acoustic quality however.

http://www.elitemedical.com/phillip.html

Incidentally there are 2 HP-Rappaport Spragues selling on Ebay for $999 (used) and $1999 (new)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hewlett-Packard-HP-Rappaport-Sprague-Stethoscope_W0QQitemZ250390998165QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250390998165&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Hewlett-Packard-Rappaport-Sprague-Stethoscope_W0QQitemZ190290776504QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190290776504&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I used a Littman III during med school & residency & now use an HP-RS. I really do feel I hear better. I have the Craddock-Pelham bell but haven't really used it yet-has anyone else found it helps accentuate low pitched sounds?

I actually can't wait to turn my stethoscope into an ornament after intern year. Although as a 4th year student, that's pretty much what it is already :)

I actually can't wait to turn my stethoscope into an ornament after intern year. Although as a 4th year student, that's pretty much what it is already :)

With all due respect I don't think your sentiments would be shared/appreciated by too many in this thread-maybe the derm forum? :rolleyes:

Howelljolly has given some great advice, as usual. He and I share a dislike of the tunable diaphragm.

Another option worth considering is to purchase an older Littmann Cardiology or Cardiology II (not the S.E. version) on eBay. These models pre-dated the tunable diaphragm, and (IMO) rival the Sanborn/HP/Philips R-S for acoustic quality. They're much more affordable, as well. Don't worry about condition, as they can be refurbished by 3M/Littmann for around $80, and will look brand-new. If you buy an original Cardiology model, however, make sure that the metal diaphragm retaining ring is present and undamaged, as these cannot be replaced.

It's worth noting that the Littmann Cardiology stethoscope tested in this otherwise well-done review would've come out on top if not for the illogical 5-point deduction for "short tubing."

In a pinch, you could take a Littmann Cardiology II S.E. or Cardiology III and replace the tunable diaphragm with a SafeSEAL antimicrobial diaphragm. If you do this and replace the small diaphragm on the Cardiology III with the bell accessory that comes with it, you'll have a fairly decent traditional stethoscope.

cardiology.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In a pinch, you could take a Littmann Cardiology II S.E. or Cardiology III and replace the tunable diaphragm with a SafeSEAL antimicrobial diaphragm. If you do this and replace the small diaphragm on the Cardiology III with the bell accessory that comes with it, you'll have a fairly decent traditional stethoscope.

This is basically what I was doing with my DRG as I didn't use their diaphragm and used only the safeseal for my diaphragm. You have to replace them every couple of weeks as you can note a degredation in their sound quality after 2-3 weeks. the sounds tend to be clear but the sounds which are transmitted are much softer than the traditional diaphragm.

The Harvey with the 3 sides I think is better than the Littman scopes. The tuneable diaphragm sucks, I've decided, because it makes the heart sounds blur together.

Hey Blue Dog, what has your experience been with the Craddock-Pelham bell for the RS? Is it a lot better than the stock bell?

Hey Blue Dog, what has your experience been with the Craddock-Pelham bell for the RS? Is it a lot better than the stock bell?

It really is. Plus, it doesn't crack when you drop your stethoscope. Now that parts for the HP R-S are getting hard to come by (and increasingly expen$ive), that's no small benefit.

It really is. Plus, it doesn't crack when you drop your stethoscope. Now that parts for the HP R-S are getting hard to come by (and increasingly expen$ive), that's no small benefit.

As it turns out I dropped mine last week & the bell cracked-perfect excuse to try out the C-P bell (although it does feel a bit bulkier in my pocket). Replacement "chestpieces" for the HP/Philips R-S (meaning adult diagphram, adult & pediatric bells) go for $75 :eek:

I have the Littmann Cardiology III and am actually pretty happy with it. I think the tunable diaphragm works pretty well. However, you have to have pretty good contact for it to work properly; otherwise you won't hear anything. If you're thinking of using a Littmann, I would recommend the Cardiology III because it comes with a pediatric bell/diaphragm, even if you're going into IM. I find that with little old ladies, you'll have a hard time getting good contact without the pediatric device.

Blue dog,

I'm confused about my new harvey elite that arrived today. It has a nice black diaphragm that is corrugated. Then, there is a replacement diaphragm black one side labeled harvey, and 3-d on the other. Is that a diaphragm or just a sticker? Does it go in over the corrugated diaphragm or by itself? I can't find any information on this except an old SDN thread with a similar question which you commented on.

Thanks in advance.

I have the manual, though I'm not sure if I should go with the flat one or the corrugated one? I'll be IM resident in June, my ausculatory skills are average. Am I better off with the flat or corrugated for best overall use?

I think you'll hear more with the flat diaphragm. The corrugated one tends to filter out higher-pitched sounds and focus on the midrange. This might be useful on a three-headed 'scope like Proctor Harvey's original model (where the corrugated diaphragm is used to "survey the precordium" before tuning in with the bell and flat diaphragm), but if you only have the use of one diaphragm, you'd probably be better off using the flat one. If you dislike the hologram as I do, flip it over and install it with the black side facing out.

Do you think that the corrugated diaphragm is louder than the flat one? It's supposed to be. But Im not sure.

In my old age, my hearing is on its way out.

Do you think that the corrugated diaphragm is louder than the flat one? It's supposed to be. But Im not sure.

In my old age, my hearing is on its way out.

I'm not sure about louder, but things definitely sound a bit more muffled with the corrugated diaphragm, at least to my ear. Not as bad as a tunable diaphragm, however.

I bought the 3 headed Harvey type, and was initially confused about what to do with the 3rd/corrugated side. Yes, I do think it makes the sounds louder, from the few times I've used it...I haven't tried using it much. Perhaps I'll start using it to "survey the precordium" as the instructions suggest.

I utilize an HP RapSprag and just learned of this Craddock-Pelham bell from this website. However, when I google it, the only relevant link I get is back to this forum. Can anyone tell me where I can get this bell?

Also, for those interested, elite medical is selling HP/Philips tubing, chest pieces and ear pieces. The recently got more.

Thanks

Is there a difference between the Harvey Elite and Tyco's Harvey Elite? The Welch Allyn site doesn't mention anything about Tyco's.

Is there a difference between the Harvey Elite and Tyco's Harvey Elite? The Welch Allyn site doesn't mention anything about Tyco's.

No, tycos was the old manufacturer... same thing, different year.

I utilize an HP RapSprag and just learned of this Craddock-Pelham bell from this website. However, when I google it, the only relevant link I get is back to this forum. Can anyone tell me where I can get this bell?

Also, for those interested, elite medical is selling HP/Philips tubing, chest pieces and ear pieces. The recently got more.

Thanks

Try this # 303-315-5734 [email protected] (U of Colorado, apparently where it was invented & the only place you can get one). It was $31.50 when I bought it in 2007. Don't know if the email is still valid

Just wanted to say how useful this site's been. Spent the last 2-3 days trying to decide what stethoscope to buy - was originally looking at a Littman Cardiology III after being impressed by using one on the wards - way better than the Classic II SE that I just lost - had that one all the way through medical school :(

So thanks to KentW and Blue Dog and Turbostar. Felt like being different, and wanted a steth with a real bell so I've bought a Welch Allyn Elite (blue). Don't think the Sprague Rappaport's going to be a real option, and definitely doesn't have the support anymore as regards parts, warranties etc. Now I've just got to wait a couple of weeks for delivery as the suppliers were out of stock.

Has anyone had an elite as their main stethoscope for a while? Good quality, or will I be buying another in 3-4 years?

Currently on cardiology wards, so want to improve my auscultation skills. In a UK regional centre for cardiology here in the Nottingham area - coverage of about 3.5 million people, and I've seen a lot of people on these forums talk about auscultation as a dying skill due to the easy access to echocardiography. Are echoes really used so much over in the US? Over here we only use them if there's a real need for it - ie pre-op for CABG, or properly symptomatic, or young with a significant murmur. Can't imagine a scenario where we don't routinely do proper cardio exams anymore - it's amazing what the consultants can actually diagnose just via stethoscope. And it's not to do with limited resources - I'm in a big teaching hospital that's a tertiary centre for cardiology, so it's easy to get echoes if necessary (normally a 1-2 day waiting list unless it's urgent)

Anyway, thanks for the help in choosing my new toy - I'll report back with what I think - maybe I'll suddenly be able to hear all my opening snaps and Austin Flint murmurs :)

Oh and I suppose I should introduce myself seeing as it's my first post. I'm a house officer (1st year out of medical school), just about to become a senior house officer (year 2-5 out of medical school). So far rotated through General Surgery, General Medicine, and Cardiology. Loving it. Next year in a tiny underresourced 200 bed hospital, so trying to get as good as possible in the next few months before I lose the safety net of support from seniors.

Ian

PS I don't know if I'm a "resident" or not - is there an option for "intern" - is that more appropriate? :)

Has anyone had an elite as their main stethoscope for a while? Good quality, or will I be buying another in 3-4 years?

Currently on cardiology wards, so want to improve my auscultation skills. In a UK regional centre for cardiology here in the Nottingham area - coverage of about 3.5 million people, and I've seen a lot of people on these forums talk about auscultation as a dying skill due to the easy access to echocardiography. Are echoes really used so much over in the US? Over here we only use them if there's a real need for it - ie pre-op for CABG, or properly symptomatic, or young with a significant murmur. Can't imagine a scenario where we don't routinely do proper cardio exams anymore - it's amazing what the consultants can actually diagnose just via stethoscope. And it's not to do with limited resources - I'm in a big teaching hospital that's a tertiary centre for cardiology, so it's easy to get echoes if necessary (normally a 1-2 day waiting list unless it's urgent)

Anyway, thanks for the help in choosing my new toy - I'll report back with what I think - maybe I'll suddenly be able to hear all my opening snaps and Austin Flint murmurs :)

Oh and I suppose I should introduce myself seeing as it's my first post. I'm a house officer (1st year out of medical school), just about to become a senior house officer (year 2-5 out of medical school). So far rotated through General Surgery, General Medicine, and Cardiology. Loving it. Next year in a tiny underresourced 200 bed hospital, so trying to get as good as possible in the next few months before I lose the safety net of support from seniors.

Ian

PS I don't know if I'm a "resident" or not - is there an option for "intern" - is that more appropriate? :)

Welcome. And yes, you can be considered a resident.

Im glad you went with the Welch Allyn. You'll learn to appreciate the intricacies and variations in heart sounds because you'll be able to detect them them.

I've had my W.A. Elite for ten years. The tubing cracked recently (just before the warranty expired). Welch Allyn sent me new tubing, and I didnt pay anything... not even for shipping. I yanked off the metal parts and stuck them on the new tubing myself. Littmann charges $75 for a repair.

Yes, auscultation is a dying art in the US. Just last friday I rounded with an old-timer cardiologist who, based on physical exam, told us exactly the same information which we got from the Echo. None of us can do that any more. And... this patient has had multiple echos... one on each of his 3 admissions for CHF this year.... just to see if hes getting better or worse. Unfortunately, in the US, physical exam findings do not hold up in court. A recording of an Echo will stand up in a lawsuit. Maybe thats got something to do with it.

Anyway... good luck.

Are echoes really used so much over in the US?

:laugh: yeah, we use way too many echos. Today alone on a service of 30 we ordered 5 echos.

My Elite is holding up quite well after not quite 2 years. I do go through the soft ear tips every 4-5 months or so.

:laugh: yeah, we use way too many echos. Today alone on a service of 30 we ordered 5 echos.

My Elite is holding up quite well after not quite 2 years. I do go through the soft ear tips every 4-5 months or so.

And how does it compare to previous ones you've owned? Must admit I was testing out my friend's cardiology III today and comparing it to the Littmann classic II SE I'm borrowing (since I lost mine). Can't actually tell much difference, I'm hoping the extra £75 ($100) I've spent on the Welch Allyn will show some improvement over the classic :)

Welcome. And yes, you can be considered a resident.

Im glad you went with the Welch Allyn. You'll learn to appreciate the intricacies and variations in heart sounds because you'll be able to detect them them.

I've had my W.A. Elite for ten years. The tubing cracked recently (just before the warranty expired). Welch Allyn sent me new tubing, and I didnt pay anything... not even for shipping. I yanked off the metal parts and stuck them on the new tubing myself. Littmann charges $75 for a repair.

Yes, auscultation is a dying art in the US. Just last friday I rounded with an old-timer cardiologist who, based on physical exam, told us exactly the same information which we got from the Echo. None of us can do that any more. And... this patient has had multiple echos... one on each of his 3 admissions for CHF this year.... just to see if hes getting better or worse. Unfortunately, in the US, physical exam findings do not hold up in court. A recording of an Echo will stand up in a lawsuit. Maybe thats got something to do with it.

Anyway... good luck.

Thanks for the nice welcome. Good to hear about them honouring that 10 year warranty. I must admit I went for the Elite as it looked nicer than the Harvey DLX, I'm hoping it's as good as in terms of quality and performance. But to be honest I don't think I'll be limited by my equipment, more likely my lack of knowledge :)

And how does it compare to previous ones you've owned? Must admit I was testing out my friend's cardiology III today and comparing it to the Littmann classic II SE I'm borrowing (since I lost mine). Can't actually tell much difference, I'm hoping the extra £75 ($100) I've spent on the Welch Allyn will show some improvement over the classic :)

I had a DRG cardiology scope, and the Welch is definitely holding up much better than the DRG.

Personally, I can't hear much at all on a Littmann scope.

welcome, Dr. Firefly.
wait a minute, hey....did you rip off my name?!!!

Yes, you are correct in calling yourself a resident. Intern is the name for someone 1st year out of school over here, but also you can just call interns 1st year residents as well...

Yes, we do overuse echocardiograms over here. I think it's a combination of fear of lawsuits (as mentioned above) as well as easy availability (can generally get one the same day you order it on inpatients) and the fact that usually insurance will cover it. Plus, we suck at physical exams because these skills aren't really taught well, or sometimes at all, in med school + residency.

Ordered the Harvey Elite (Student). I think there's no difference in the stethoscope itself between the student and non-student package but, with the student package it comes with the accessory kit for pediatric changes. Looking forward to trying it in a couple of weeks. Ordered from Steeles.com for $146 if anyone is looking for one.

Yeah, i think the student package comes with the peds conversion and a CD to teach auscultation.

Along the same lines... the short version, which is theoretically more efficient, also has thicker tubing... double the efficiency. Just so everyone knows

The company that was meant to be selling me the harvey elite messed up, ran out of stock and generally messed me around for two weeks. Now I've just had a refund from them, and was about to order another harvey elite from a different supplier.

But I've just seen a Rappaport-Sprague for $450 in an antique shop near me. Original Hewlett Packard. Works perfectly. Should I get it? Is it too much for an old stethoscope?

Also would I look silly on the wards?

I'm torn, and advice would be appreciated.