More HPSP Scholarships in October?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was told by my recruiter that there is a possibility of adding more HPSP Scholarships in October for the class of 2016 applicants. I was wondering if any one else heard anything like this from their recruiters?

I guess there is still some hope for us who are on the alternate list!

Members don't see this ad.

That's great news, though my first question would be whether or not it would cover that first semester retroactively or not? Either way I hope it works out for anyone still waiting.

Hi All,

I was told by my recruiter that there is a possibility of adding more HPSP Scholarships in October for the class of 2016 applicants. I was wondering if any one else heard anything like this from their recruiters?

I guess there is still some hope for us who are on the alternate list!

My recruiter also told me that there will be 20 slots opening up (Navy). I guess this is the 3.5 year scholarship. They will pay your first semester tuition retroactively(as long you commission before semester ends), and you also qualify for the 20k sign on bonus, the only thing you don't get is the stipend money for the first few months, and you owe them 4 years, it's great news! anyone know how long is the waiting list, or if they're ranked in anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also curious about how long the Navy waitlist is. I have heard from recruiters that the Navy waitlist is ranked in the order that your final application packet was received at recruiting headquarters. Apparently whoever applied earlier is ranked higher and offered a scholarship first. They don't jump around the list to pick and chose who they like best.

Same thing happened last year. I got my Fall semester retroactively paid for, but I commissioned in November so I missed a few months of stipend. Still got the bonus, still owe four years, still happy I got off the waitlist :thumbup:

Same thing happened last year. I got my Fall semester retroactively paid for, but I commissioned in November so I missed a few months of stipend. Still got the bonus, still owe four years, still happy I got off the waitlist :thumbup:

Hi, do you remember when you were put on the wait list? Just trying to gauge if I might be able to get the HPSP or not.

It was in April or May if I remember correctly. I got offered the HSCP, but declined and then found out I got the HPSP in early October. It took about a month to actually commission though.

I've heard a different news. A recruiter asked me if i were a 2016 grad and if so HPSP is filled up for that year. He's just helping the main recuiter till he comes back from vacation. Hopefully there are more spots. I don't think Navy would not have scholarships available for 2 or 3 year HPSP.
What do you guys think?

I've heard a different news. A recruiter asked me if i were a 2016 grad and if so HPSP is filled up for that year. He's just helping the main recuiter till he comes back from vacation. Hopefully there are more spots. I don't think Navy would not have scholarships available for 2 or 3 year HPSP.
What do you guys think?

application for the 4 year HPSP (FY 2016) closed on May 31st. Those on the wait list will have a shot at one of those 3.5 year scholarships. It's terrible news for me if the wait list is ranked in chronological order, because I submitted my app at the very last week :(

application for the 4 year HPSP (FY 2016) closed on May 31st. Those on the wait list will have a shot at one of those 3.5 year scholarships. It's terrible news for me if the wait list is ranked in chronological order, because I submitted my app at the very last week :(

Do you have any idea what your rank on the list is and/or how many are on the list? I submitted at the very end as well, and my recruiter won't tell me what my number is.

Do you have any idea what your rank on the list is and/or how many are on the list? I submitted at the very end as well, and my recruiter won't tell me what my number is.

:( I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I asked them to my recruiter specifically, and she says they don't tell her those information. But after reading various posts from the past, it seems like the majority of the people responded had a shot at the HPSP mid semester, I only remember 1 poster saying that one of his classmates didn't get off the wait list.
I'm gonna give it my best guess, and say that there's no more than 40 folks on the wait list lol. Seems like only you, me, hope, and perhaps a few others on sdn are waiting for the navy hpsp. When I applied for dental school, I noticed SDN and predents.com users usually represent about 10-20% of the total applicant pool, so I like our chances. I think the Air Force is offering 3 year hpsp, I wonder if we should apply to them soon.

:( I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I asked them to my recruiter specifically, and she says they don't tell her those information. But after reading various posts from the past, it seems like the majority of the people responded had a shot at the HPSP mid semester, I only remember 1 poster saying that one of his classmates didn't get off the wait list.
I'm gonna give it my best guess, and say that there's no more than 40 folks on the wait list lol. Seems like only you, me, hope, and perhaps a few others on sdn are waiting for the navy hpsp. When I applied for dental school, I noticed SDN and predents.com users usually represent about 10-20% of the total applicant pool, so I like our chances. I think the Air Force is offering 3 year hpsp, I wonder if we should apply to them soon.

You can apply for the Air Force and would advise you to do so, but the AF is very competitive. If you look at past posts, people who were applying for the 3 yr AF scholarship were denied or put on the wait list because of the few scholarships that they give away.

The AF has one of the highest retention rates compared to the other branches, and is why they do not have many to offer.

You can apply for the Air Force and would advise you to do so, but the AF is very competitive. If you look at past posts, people who were applying for the 3 yr AF scholarship were denied or put on the wait list because of the few scholarships that they give away.

The AF has one of the highest retention rates compared to the other branches, and is why they do not have many to offer.

I think it's 4 years or none for me. My first year of dental school will cost the most, plus I'm going to miss the 20k bonus. If I decide to specialize it will delay that plan as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what my recruiter told me last year, my package went to the last review board. A lot of people applied last minute and they took the pile and went from the top down until they met their quota to fill all the 4 year spots. I got on the waitlist even though I had my package in to my recruiter before most of those people did. It didn't seem like there was a numerical waitlist, but I honestly have no idea if there was one.

I would recommend just staying in contact with the recruiter and pushing them as much as you can. I also got a letter of rec from a Congressman too, I'm sure that didn't hurt :rolleyes:.

I also talked to the Air Force about a 3 year scholarship, but my GPA was too low to apply (3.4).

I asked my recruiter about this and she said she hadn't heard about the 20 new 3.5 year scholarships. She also said that the waiting list is around 70 names.

I spoke with my recruiter recently and she said there will be 4 year scholarships that come available in October, and then possibly some 3 year scholarship after that. I tried to ask for more info but she was kinda confused about it all.
She did say that she heard there were more people on the wait list than scholarships that will come available. But she also said "oh don't worry people decline these things ALL the time". I have trouble believe that someone turns down such a large scholarship after they're already gone through all the trouble of applying and such.

But she also said "oh don't worry people decline these things ALL the time". I have trouble believe that someone turns down such a large scholarship after they're already gone through all the trouble of applying and such.

No, it's true. People really do decline the scholarships all the time. Some of them will end up getting into their state school later in the application process, so the lower in-state tuition will make the scholarship seem less attractive to them. A bunch more people will start doing their research AFTER they are selected for HPSP. They will realize that they are actually signing up for the military and will have to deploy and be away from their families for long periods of time, and they will puss out. Or they will find out that they actually have a 0% chance of getting an active duty deferral straight out of dental school to do that civilian orthodontics residency that they had their little hearts set on. They can turn down the scholarship any time up until the day they are scheduled to commission/sign the contract, and a lot of them will wait until the last minute to decline it.

sorry to invade the dental forums, but i'm optometry and the recruiters i've spoken to have all been clueless about HPSP programs, how did you manage to get a hold of someone who is informed?

sorry to invade the dental forums, but i'm optometry and the recruiters i've spoken to have all been clueless about HPSP programs, how did you manage to get a hold of someone who is informed?

Send me a PM with your questions...

I spoke with my recruiter recently and she said there will be 4 year scholarships that come available in October, and then possibly some 3 year scholarship after that. I tried to ask for more info but she was kinda confused about it all.
She did say that she heard there were more people on the wait list than scholarships that will come available. But she also said "oh don't worry people decline these things ALL the time". I have trouble believe that someone turns down such a large scholarship after they're already gone through all the trouble of applying and such.
I actually heard a completely different story.
I talked with a recruiter a few days ago. I asked about the scholarship, and he confirmed the story I've heard here (3.5 year scholarships are offered). For Year 2016, it seems like Navy has all the dentists and do not need to offer any 2 or 3 year scholarships anymore.

Any recent news about the extended HPSP for October?

Any recent news about the extended HPSP for October?
According to a fellow student who's on the waiting list, there should be some spots opening up.

I'm actually contacting some Navy folks on Monday to confirm any details and will try to post any news I may receive on here.

I applied late this summer and was talked into HSCP b/c the HPSP spots and alternate list were full, or so I was told (I'm instate though and am right on the line where financially it makes as much sense to do HSCP as HPSP). Anyways, I've seen my recruiter at a few events the past month and he keeps talking like Oct 1 there's no doubt I'll have a scholarship and will be sworn in. He says they've locked the alternate list for HSCP and have the number that they want to give out come Oct. He was also confident I'd get one in August though, so I'm a touch skeptical until I get the official word, but hopefully we'll be hearing something soon!!!

Not sure if this relates at all with you hopeful HPSPers, but thought I'd share my 2 cents...

I called a recruiter last week to inquire about my spot on the HPSP alternate list. He claimed that there would indeed be more scholarships in October but did not mention how many. Unfortunately for myself he said I was too far down the list (application finished in early June I believe) to get a spot.

I can't get in contact with my recruiter (no surprise here), but all I keep hearing from her when we do speak is that "you're fine, you're definitely getting one". I also had to wait until the very end of May (I might have been sent to one of the last, if not the last, boards) to get reviewed so we should be around the same spot on the wait list. According to my recruiter, even though I"m far down on the waitlist, people decline the scholarships "all the time" and I shouldn't have a problem. I'll believe it when I see it.... especially since the Army seems to be pulling through for me soon. I wonder if I can use that as leverage for the navy to offer up a spot faster. I'd prefer a 4 year offer from them than a 3 year army.

You're not going to leverage anyone for a spot more quickly. The services are having no trouble filling their quotas, and the reason that no scholarships are available until October is most likely because they probably don't have any funding left and October is the beginning of FY13. No money means they can't offer any scholarships until the next fiscal year. Be patient, it's not even two weeks until October.

Last edited:
If there are HSCP spots made available in October, would they be for 3 year or 4 year scholarships?

Should we expect to hear back on October 1st?

Any of you alternates get some oct 1 news? I called last week and was told by someone other than my recruiter that they should have letters arrive today, and to call and check in tmrw on my status:xf:. Dunno if they'll have news or not, but I was just curious if anyone got any phone calls today.

Not to play the "my recruiter said game", but I was told today by both my Army and Navy recruiter that the packets rolled over from the wait-lists will be re-reviewed by the board in a couple weeks. Decisions won't be out until the end of the month. I've already been playing the waiting game for 14 months, what's one more? So ready for this to be over.

Just received an email from my recruiter stating that the Navy Recruiting Command is selecting the FY13' final selects and then will look into the FY 12' applicants on the wait list.

Just received an email from my recruiter stating that the Navy Recruiting Command is selecting the FY13' final selects and then will look into the FY 12' applicants on the wait list.

I'm not sure I understand you completely. Can you elaborate with any more details? I don't quite understand how they are selecting the FY'13 final selects in October when admission decisions aren't even out til Dec.

Thanks for the info. I also don't quite understand this...seems like they might as well stick a fork in those of us who are '12 alternates if its true, given the uptick in demand of the scholarships.

I just wish we were more regularly updated on where things stand. I feel like my attempts to reach out to my recruiter and recruiting station are in vain, as I seemingly never get a response (unless I run in to the recruiter at my school at an event, and then it's all peachy news that I hear). As much as I want the scholarship, I don't mind bad news...I just wish I had some sort of news. And I wish my recruiter would quit telling me "I'm 95% certain that I'll have you one in 2 weeks" repeatedly.

k, rant over. Best of luck to everyone going forward, its a great opportunity which I hope we are afforded...

As much as I want the scholarship, I don't mind bad news...I just wish I had some sort of news. And I wish my recruiter would quit telling me "I'm 95% certain that I'll have you one in 2 weeks" repeatedly.

Exactly! Enough sugarcoating everything and just tell me!

I'm not sure I understand you completely. Can you elaborate with any more details? I don't quite understand how they are selecting the FY'13 final selects in October when admission decisions aren't even out til Dec.

I think how it works is they are selected for the scholarship, but it will be contingent on if they receive an acceptance to a dental school.

I know last year a person in my dental class was accepted sometime in Oct for the HPSP, but had to wait officially until she received her acceptance.

Applicants with extremely strong admissions packages may be selected prior to receiving an acceptance, or at least it has been like that in the past.

I was taken off the OML list and received a 3 year scholarship I am finalizing everything with my recruiter on tuesday

Navy or Army OML? You posted this is threads for both branches. hmmm....

From what I was told no one was directly pulled off the list, it went back to the boards for final approval or whatever. Are you sure you're actually taking the oath and didn't just pre-fill out the paperwork like a lot of us did?

I feel like we should be hearing something very soon from the Navy, seeing that the Air force and Army have been taking people off their OML list.

Good luck to you all and I hope each of us can have the opportunity to receive one!

Update: my navy recruiter looked into my standing with the navy today since I was just offered up an army scholarship. I was told that when the board meets some people will receive a 4 year, some will get a 3 year and then many others who are far down the list (like me) will receive a no quota letter bc they simply have too many applicants. So, I guess if you were on one of the earlier of the OML boards you're in good shape. Otherwise, call Army and AF ASAP lol, altho I'm pretty sure those will turn up full too!

Thanks for the update dnt0711 and congratulations on the Army HPSP!!

Just got the call this afternoon from my recruiter that I was selected for the Navy 4 year HSCP. Will swear in on Monday!!!! Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear something...

Got my selection letter for a 4 yr Navy HSCP today!

Last edited:
Just curious if there were any 3 yr Navy HPSP scholarships awarded?

Called my reporter to find out my status, got an automated message that she is no longer an active recruiter, unbelievable.