moral or immoral??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingTut

ja.mary.ne
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
?uestion Session.....
WiTh Tut...............

O.k. well today i was reading up on the male genitial system of the dog, equine, bovine, etc. and then it hit me, im going to be an animal doc. (hopefully in the future), so that means im going to have to neuter animals of the male and female species. Heres my question, as a male, neutering another animal, well, does it feel right???I mean i wouldnt like it if some guy just came and neutered me, would i feel sick or is there like no feeling at all.....I dont know, i know its for there own good but the animal doesnt know that, its probably gonna clean itself down there one day and ask itself what happened to the two dangly things that were here yesterday.....HELP!!!Im stuck at a crossroad.

Life is good,
Peace to the World......:cool:
Tut

Members don't see this ad.

First off, you can't anthropormoprhize too much. You are assuming things about animals that are necessarily true, based on your own feelings and method of thinking.

Personally, I don't believe you can restrict it to just neutering / spaying - should you or shouldnt you? I believe with each decision we must look passed the immediate consequences. Yes, neutering seems cruel at first, especially to males. However, let's say we dont neuter and populations grow. We already have too many animals that exceed our capacity to care for them. So if we don't neuter we basically encouraging more animals to procreate and then be left uncared and unloved. These animals suffer. In the end, although the immediate animal might suffer the immediate consequences of looking down and thinking, "Who the heck chopped off my fun parts?", it lessens the suffering of many animals to come. Plus with less animals, that one that was neutered/spayed is able to receive better, more focused care.

All in all, I can understand how one might see the immediate consequences and think - wrong, I wouldn't like that. But if me being spayed meant less suffering for many other humans and eventually myself, I'd say let's go ahead.

I totally agree with rosemma. I also wanted to add that neutering or spaying an animal drastically reduces its chances of developing cancer (prostate, uterine, breast, etc.) thus increasing its life expectancy. So, if my dog got mad at me for chopping his testicles off (which I don't think he would) it would be worth it to me to keep him alive longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above, also...

An unspayed or unneutered animal, if not bred constantly, will basically go through its whole life in a state of sexual distress (particularly females constantly going in and out of heat) because they can't be allowed to mate. Would you want to live your whole life like that?

Plus all of the added health benefits - less cancer, etc.

Plus, look at the huge animal overopulation problem we have now. With the exception of a VERY few breeders (the scrupulous kinds who do health testing, hip checks, etc - who are in it for the Breed, not money)people NEED to get their animals fixed......we need to do everything we can do lessen the occurence of all of these "oops" litters which inevitabley result in pups going to the pound to be euthanized.

I know it can be hard as a guy to imagine neutering another male animal. But remember - humans attach all this importance to their "junk" through cultural pressure - ie, if you don't have them, you aren't a "man" - dogs simply DO NOT HAVE this concept. A male dog doesn't care whether he is intact or not. He doesn't know what balls are or what they do. A fixed male dogs is just as male as an intact one. It is just this human ideal we try to impose on them. My female dog might be spayed, but she is still a complete lady! :)

I agree with everyone else. Spaying and neutering can't be viewed as something that an animal will contemplate as bad. They just don't understand the concept.

I've been thinking lately about the findings that spaying/neutering before the first heat cycles and such decreases the chances of cancer. I wonder if these findings in any way could correlate with people? Not that I'm advocating the spaying/neutering of humans at all, but isn't the thought interesting to think?

Maybe I'm weird for thinking that.

Because I didn't have a chance to post this in the pot thread:

Please don't feed the trolls!

?uestion Session.....
WiTh Tut...............

O.k. well today i was reading up on the male genitial system of the dog, equine, bovine, etc. and then it hit me, im going to be an animal doc. (hopefully in the future), so that means im going to have to neuter animals of the male and female species. Heres my question, as a male, neutering another animal, well, does it feel right???I mean i wouldnt like it if some guy just came and neutered me, would i feel sick or is there like no feeling at all.....I dont know, i know its for there own good but the animal doesnt know that, its probably gonna clean itself down there one day and ask itself what happened to the two dangly things that were here yesterday.....HELP!!!Im stuck at a crossroad.

Life is good,
Peace to the World......:cool:
Tut

Do the dog a favor and give it a reach-around before the procedure!

I'm only kidding, those of you who were offended, I apologize.

If you have some sort of male-psychotic-bonding with a dog and feel you can't neuter due to this, a profession in Veterinary Medicine is likely the wrong path for you.

In my many years, I have never come across a colleague who felt they could not neuter a dog because they, too, were males.

I'm beginning to think your posts are a cute way of passing time. If so, maybe you should buy a deck of cards and a joke book and hit the streets.

Due to this post I feel I have just hit enlightenment. I will now get myself castrated promptly.
Thank you for allowing me to realize how immoral I have been and what I now need to do to compensate for all of the injustice I have helped to perform in removing so many innocent animal's reproductive organs.
I think we should all follow this example and either stop sterilizing animals entirely and allow extensive overpopulation to ensue or proceed to sterilize ourselves, as it only seems fair.

Reply Session...........
with.............................................TUt

Well i just posted a question about neutering just to see how it would feel the first time, then everyone just turns it into an insult fest. Thanks to those who replied seriously, and the whole pot thing(i quit weeks ago), whatever...

Relax,
Peace to the world:cool:
Tut