Moosepilot accepted to USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
island doc said:
400K-500K is cheap housing. That is the entry level price for off-water housing on my Island and would get you a 1BR condo.
Cheap housing....perhaps on a resort island. In Bethesda 400-500k will get you an efficiency. The condos are going for 500-1mill. New luxury townhouses are going up starting in the mid 1 million. The farther you move out the cheaper things get.

Clarksburg has 3000sq ft townhouses at ~500k. This is about 20 miles north on I270. There are houses in the hoods of DC going for ~500k++. Virginia suburbs are out of the question.

IF you're looking for cheap housing then Baltimore and surrounding areas are your best bet. This would be about a 30-45 minute commute if earlier than 6am....after that I think it turns into 1-2 hours.......not my recommendation for USUHS but it's not the worst. There are people in West Virginia but I don't think you want that commute either.

Welcome to Maryland...? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Croooz said:
Cheap housing....perhaps on a resort island. In Bethesda 400-500k will get you an efficiency. The condos are going for 500-1mill. New luxury townhouses are going up starting in the mid 1 million. The farther you move out the cheaper things get.

Clarksburg has 3000sq ft townhouses at ~500k. This is about 20 miles north on I270. There are houses in the hoods of DC going for ~500k++. Virginia suburbs are out of the question.

IF you're looking for cheap housing then Baltimore and surrounding areas are your best bet. This would be about a 30-45 minute commute if earlier than 6am....after that I think it turns into 1-2 hours.......not my recommendation for USUHS but it's not the worst. There are people in West Virginia but I don't think you want that commute either.

Welcome to Maryland...? :smuggrin:

Moosey just got accepted to the med school of his dreams, and you are dousing his enthusiasm with a bucket of ice water. :p Besides as an active duty AF officer wouldn't he be eligible for base housing at Andrews :confused:

island doc said:
Moosey just got accepted to the med school of his dreams, and you are dousing his enthusiasm with a bucket of ice water. :p Besides as an active duty AF officer wouldn't he be eligible for base housing at Andrews :confused:
Enthusiasm is still there for him but he needs to get some hard facts about civilian housing options in Maryland. Sure there is base housing but the best thing to do is buy something and then turn around and sell it after med school. Nothing like graduating med school without debt and a few hundred thousand dollars! How's that for enthusiasm....medical degree, debt free, $100k+ from house sale, not to mention the money made during med school.....oh wait, he's an officer so he'll actually get a drop in pay from whatever he is to O1.......perhaps base housing will be in the cards after all. :eek:

anyway.........

CONGRATS Moose....and welcome to Maryland's real estate market! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definately NOT recommend living at Andrews. I've only heard of one or two people who live there currently in all four classes. It is simply a traffic/commute issue. I don't remember seeing if you were married or had children, but that will somewhat decide where I would recommend.

Most married people buy and live out in Gaithersburg, Germantown or Rockville areas. You can find a single family home around 350,000. Won't be what you think it is, but it's a decent house. Single people usually live closer to the school and rent in North Bethesda, Bethesda, Rockville, or Silver Spring. Virginia is definately not recommended, there are a few who do it, but it's a pain. VA looks close on a map, but the beltway is a beast. Same for going up to Baltimore, a few live in Anne Arundel County but they pay the price in commute.

You can find one bedroom apartments under BAH pretty close to school so don't fret. The housing market for this area seems to be cooling off a bit so I don't know that I'd recommend buying if you're trying to get rich quick as it may not work out that way. On the other hand if you hang on without buying for a little while you may see prices drop for you.

Hope this helps. There's also a housing guide on an old post of mine somewhere. It's a Word document and has all sorts of reviews from other USUHS students. Best of Luck

backrow said:
Most married people buy and live out in Gaithersburg, Germantown or Rockville areas. You can find a single family home around 350,000. Won't be what you think it is, but it's a decent house.
$350k in these areas will get you a condo or townhouse but not a single family. I have a 2 bedroom/2bath condo in Montgomery Village which is basically Gaithersburg and they are selling from $199k to $235k. This is for a 24 year old condo. The cheapest single family will be ~$375-400. :D