Moonlighting $?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bghs11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the range of hourly pay that you all have seen with different moonlighting jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

At my program (Christ in Chicago) we have a somewhat unique situation, so I'd caution anyone against extrapolating too much from this, but here's how our "moonlighting" works.

We have an 8 bed Cardiac ED that gets staffed from 6P to 6A by a resident who pretty much runs the show by him/herself. We still discuss the patients with an attending, but the attending is across the hall & mostly lets the resident fly solo. 1st years can work these shifts after doing 1 ED & 1 ICU rotation & get paid $500 for the night. 2nd & 3rd years make $700/night. The money isn't as good as true moonlighting shifts, but you've got an attending across the hall. So, you get to earn good money while testing your moonlighting mettle without risking your license.

bghs11 said:
What is the range of hourly pay that you all have seen with different moonlighting jobs?

First of all, you'll find very few residencies that encourage moonlighting although I'm sure the majority of PDs being neutral moonlighted their asses off themselves. This is because of the unique specialty of emergency medicine and it's newness. The major argument being, after 30 years of arguing that we are a real, indepedent specialty, then ... how can you let a resident who is not fully trained do your job? [see www.saem.org, www.cordem.org, etc]

At our program, the beginning of second year, we have medical student teaching shifts. These are dedicated shifts where you don't see patients primarily (we normally just staff with students during our regular shifts). You get paid $40/hr. The student gets a dedicated teacher. We don't require a license for this, since you still have an attending to staff with.

Our residency rules dictate you are allowed to moonlight by the middle of second year, but some places won't take you unless you're a third year or above. There is a maximum # of hrs you can moonlight and the moonlighting shift cannot be a RRC violation on work hrs.

Lifeflight pays $40/hr, and these are dedicated shifts, you don't have to see patients in between and it's, well, fun.

Other community EDs usually put you in urgent care or some combination of urgent care and a few hrs on the main side. They pay generally $85/hr on up to over $100.

Aside from the money, I think it's been a very valuable experience, and it's been eye opening to what type of practice environment I may enjoy.

mike