Montclair State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD1

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Montclair State University's PhD program in Clinical Psychology is Accredited on contingency.
If anyone knows anything else about this program please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

They’re a relatively new program. Programs need distal data of graduates in order to qualify for full accreditation, but APA (relatively recently) instituted a contingency accreditation process for programs who meet all requirements minus the distal data. They then have to submit updated information to APA by a certain deadline to transition to full accreditation or lose their status.

Reactions: 1 users
They’re a relatively new program. Programs need distal data of graduates in order to qualify for full accreditation, but APA (relatively recently) instituted a contingency accreditation process for programs who meet all requirements minus the distal data. They then have to submit updated information to APA by a certain deadline to transition to full accreditation or lose their status.
Thank you for your response. I guess I was just a little unsure being that the first cohort was 2017. It says that the program is accredited, on contingency, through April 5, 2025 but I also read somewhere that they had an upcoming site visit. Based on what you might know about the program would there be any other reason why they don’t have full accreditation?

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, the only way to be accredited on contingency is to be a new program and you can’t get that designation any other way. I believe the only options are full accreditation, accreditation on probation, accreditation on contingency, and not accredited. To be accredited on contingency, a program needs to meet all requirements other than the distal graduation data. However, they need another site visit and to submit an updated self study to move to full accreditation. What happens based on those two factors is up in the air. They’re the second largest state university in NJ, after Rutgers, and have some pretty decent faculty but that’s about all I know.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know anything about the program itself, but I believe APA's been pretty backed up since COVID-19 in terms of getting site visits done. So it's very possible they would've been accredited by now if APA had the ability to get out there sooner.

From my understanding, the only way to be accredited on contingency is to be a new program and you can’t get that designation any other way. I believe the only options are full accreditation, accreditation on probation, accreditation on contingency, and not accredited. To be accredited on contingency, a program needs to meet all requirements other than the distal graduation data. However, they need another site visit and to submit an updated self study to move to full accreditation. What happens based on those two factors is up in the air. They’re the second largest state university in NJ, after Rutgers, and have some pretty decent faculty but that’s about all I know.
Thank you so much, that is super helpful