Money and Investment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey Guys.

I have started to dabble in the stock market. My first trip through the market outside my 401k. Currently the market is hovering around 7000.

Anyways, invested in USO (United States Oil Fund) at $26 a share. Price of a barrel of oil was at $42/barrel. Oil will go up, no doubt in a 3-5 yr frame.

Also invested in UNG (United States Natural Gas Fund) at $16.80 a share. Price of natural gas was $4 at the time.

Both these ETFs follow the prices of these commodities. So i figured that oil will be higher than $42 per barrel in a few years and that natural gas will be higher than $4.

I have put about 5 grand into this. I think this will generate more than 4% after taxes.

Just though I share my financial startup.

In oil we trust. :D

Members don't see this ad.

take a look girls...do your own dd
2win

Per my post some, 8 months ago... EGI finally popped today. Mongolian gov't backed down on windfall taxes. The real news is seen in big-boys IVN and RIO. EGI will be bought out by one of these-- they tendered a while a go around $3.00, so its likely worth at least this much. Overnight gap reversal is possible on the open tomorrow, based on gap. Either way, anyone who bought, doubled up!

PS: What happened to this discussion? Volatility is great for the trader...

Members don't see this ad :)
Per my post some, 8 months ago... EGI finally popped today. Mongolian gov't backed down on windfall taxes. The real news is seen in big-boys IVN and RIO. EGI will be bought out by one of these-- they tendered a while a go around $3.00, so its likely worth at least this much. Overnight gap reversal is possible on the open tomorrow, based on gap. Either way, anyone who bought, doubled up!

PS: What happened to this discussion? Volatility is great for the trader...

Great call!
What's the resistance for EGI?
What other companies do you follow?
Thanks,
2win

SORRY, I meant to quote you on this one :D I just think it may just be easier and better to just invest your money in secure online investment places for more security and ease... dont you think?
Yo
Stocks are the coolest... when yer winnin'. Anyhow, I agree w/UTSouthwestern that this would be a good sticky.
Checkfree on the nasdaq (ckfr) is a pretty cool stock to have. One of my delivery guys told me about it 5 or so yrs ago. Anyhow, he said he made a mint... moved from like $5- 120 or something like that, and recommended it. I checked it out, but was a little hesitant d/t fears about inflated e-stocks. Anyhow, during the e-collapse a few years back, it went to like 10 bucks, and I decided that it was a good time to buy... but chickened out. I'll tell ya now that not a day goes by I don't kick myself for not listening to this wise sage of budwiser delivery. He bought a truckload, and is now retired.
Just FYI, it's just a little co that handles internet payments for a few small businesses like fifth-third bank, and wachovia.
Once again... great thread.
Peace
Lo

Just wanted to indicate it would be reasonable to close the EGI trade from 8-25 for your 50% profit.

stock may possibly appreciate from here, but transient retracement first is almost inevitable.

bump

interesting thread to read from start to finish especially with so much investing advice prior to the 2008 collapse. Happy to say I've kept the same attitude from 8 years ago and still haven't paid off the dirt cheap student loans. Have no house or car payments, though, and invest heavily via pension, 401k, roth IRA, and taxable account, but still can't find the motivation to pay off cheap student loans.

And in the original spirit of the thread, here's a stock idea: SBNY. Cool little bank in NYC that caters to private businesses and their owners/senior managers. Insane growth the last 10 years for a bank in both deposits and loans with an outstanding loan portfolio. I actually wish they'd expand out to other markets so I could consider using them for banking. How many banks do you know that don't advertise or even have stand alone branches? They basically reside in office space in buildings.

Last edited:
Beyond that, Puritz and Rebalance IRA recommend a much more substantive allocation to stocks across all age groups and risk tolerances. Here is the the percentage of stocks they recommend:

starget.PNG

The authors are advocating trying to make up for low future expected returns by taking on more risk. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won't. A bear market for a stock heavy portfolio for a retiree or soon to be retiree may not be recoverable. In other words a major permanent downgrade of the lifestyle, possibly mandating a return to work.

I'll toss you some names that aint goin anywhere. Should have monster returns on them all with little to no risk.

FRO- oil tanker
PCU- copper
AUY- gold
CMCSA- cable
FSLR- solar energy
DF- milk food stuff
SHLD- sears holdings

All these stocks should have monster long term gains. Nice diversity
That is if ur happy with about 30-40% return per year.

FRO - down 99%
PCU - down 14%
AUY - down 74%
CMCSA - up 147% (hooray, a winner)
FSLR - up 18% (almost 2% per year, not a disaster)
DF - down 74%
SHLD - down 94%

I really don't want to pick on this post, but the confidence in earning 30-40% returns long term is kinda hilarious in hindsight. Comcast did beat the S&P's roughly 60+% return over that time frame including the 2008 crash, but overall it was a disastrous group of stocks to choose at that time.

In the interest of calling myself out as well, my SBNY is only up a little over 1% in the last 14 months although I was able to buy up more this summer when it dropped into the $110s. I still like it a lot.

Reactions: 1 user