Molecular shape, geometry, and electronic configuration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schwann

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So molecular shape and geometry are synonymous with the orientation of ATOMS, whereas electronic configuration refers to ALL the electron groups? Please help. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So molecular shape and geometry are synonymous with the orientation of ATOMS, whereas electronic configuration refers to ALL the electron groups? Please help. thanks.

Shape depends on atom positions, so it accounts for atoms but not electron pairs.

Geometry refers to the orientation of valance electrons about a central atom.

So, consider ammonia as a typical example. It has four elecron pairs and sp3-hybridization, so the nitrogen has tetrahedral geometry. However, there are only three hydrogen atoms, so its shape considers only the atoms (bonds if you will), making the shape trigonal pyramidal.

Electronic configuration is book keeping of all of the electrons, not just the valence electrons.

wait, then how come on the explanation for aamc6, it says the geometry or shape of a molecule refers only to the positions of atoms?!

I thought shape refers to atoms and geometry refers to valence electrons. However, now I am confused.

Which of the following has the same geometry as methane? H2S or SiCl4.
Both have the same geometry but different shape, which contradicts the question!

wait, then how come on the explanation for aamc6, it says the geometry or shape of a molecule refers only to the positions of atoms?!

I thought shape refers to atoms and geometry refers to valence electrons. However, now I am confused.

Which of the following has the same geometry as methane? H2S or SiCl4.
Both have the same geometry but different shape, which contradicts the question!
Only SiCl4 has the same geometry: tetrahedral. H2S is better classified as "bent".

Members don't see this ad :)
H2S is classified as a bent Shape!, not a bent geometry! the geometry for H2S is tetrahedral, since it is sp3.

since the question asks for the geometry similar to methane, both H2S and SiCl4 have the same GEOMETRY, since geometry refers to valence Electron arrangement.