Molecular pathologist compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Korzh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! What would be a fair range of starting compensation for a fresh grad molecular pathologist in industry? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

there is a very small n for these positions and I suspect the range will vary quite widely.

I would guess $250K-$400K, full comp, and given how green or limited experience you'd likely end on the left of that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With expertise, I’m guessing much higher given how molecular has been booming. Precision medicine. Molecular genetic companies partnering with big name drug development companies using molecular data. Involvement of AI to use molecular data to help develop drugs.

Just make sure you know your ****. You want to be the go to person. If you are, companies will want to talk to you, if you know what I’m saying lol. If you are just a regular molpath trained guy/gal, be ready to be a cog in the wheel.

I see some of these molecular companies being the future Quests of the future. Big juggernauts have been growing and they will be unstoppable because they have incredible amounts of cash. Business is booming and they are hiring.

Path residencies should go full on mode with molpath training similar to how residencies have with surgpath. We as a field got to capitalize on this. Every graduating trainee has to be well versed with molecular by the time they graduate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
guessing much higher given how molecular has been booming. Precision medicine. Molecular genetic companies partnering with big name drug development companies using molecular data. Involvement of AI to use molecular data to help develop drugs.

Just make sure you know your ****. You want to be the go to person. If you are, companies will want to talk to you, if you know what I’m saying lol. If you are just a regular molpath trained guy/gal, be ready to be a cog in the wheel.

I see some of these molecular companies being the future Quests of the future. Big juggernauts have been growing and they will be unstoppable because they have incredible amounts of cash. Business is booming and they are hiring.

Path residencies should go full on mode with molpath training similar to how residencies have with surgpath. We as a field got to capitalize on this. Every graduating trainee has to be well versed with molecular by the time they graduate.
All true but reimbursement is still in flux and lagging in the commercial space, and VC money is mostly dried right now as a result of high interest rates and banking issues.

Lots of startups with a lot less cash.

the "lab industry" really doesn't reward the smartest and most capable... they have to first look out for #1, which is typically the C-suite. It is very different than PP where you are the boss. Of course, if you start your own lab that is different. Let me know if you have $3M to invest and have a path to contracts, in addition to funds for R&D and runway.

Reactions: 1 users