Modeled for a calendar, haven't signed a release yet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfleurat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So probably a really unorthodox question, but I'm considering modeling for a calendar and I haven't filled out the release form yet so technically they cannot be shared, but some of the shots that were taken were of me in underwear. Now, I'm not really sure what the odds are of a committee even seeing them but would/could they deny me because of that?

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong place to ask this interesting question.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Surprisingly, it's not really an unorthodox question here, lol.

Consensus seems to be: yes, it could very easily be held against you, and likely would be if someone connected the dots. So the question is, how much risk is there that things link to you (is your name anywhere on this?) and how risk averse are you? Tiny, tiny odds of huge consequences is a tough call.

I think you know what impression you might make on some (whether fair or not). Use your good judgement

Reactions: 1 user
OP this is a very important issue. You should PM me the pics immediately so I can judge whether they are appropriate to release. ;)

Reactions: 15 users
You'll definitely be judged negatively for this. Which is BS, in my opinion. But I guess it is what it is.
I'm just curious though, do you guys think it depends on OP's gender at all? I wonder if a woman who did this would receive more negative judgement than a man who did this.

You'll definitely be judged negatively for this. Which is BS, in my opinion. But I guess it is what it is.
I'm just curious though, do you guys think it depends on OP's gender at all? I wonder if a woman who did this would receive more negative judgement than a man who did this.
Oh absolutely. I feel like it's seen as degrading for women (not that I agree, just that it's a bad thing) whereas when guys do it it is somehow an accomplishment, or a cute stunt.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh absolutely. I feel like it's seen as degrading for women (not that I agree, just that it's a bad thing) whereas when guys do it it is somehow an accomplishment, or a cute stunt.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I mean if I'm honest with myself, I would probably think a girl who posed in their underwear was a bit of a skank, but if a guy did it I would probably think it was cute, I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that he was a gigolo or something. Bad, I know. But I am sure if I have these biases, many others do as well.

The calendar does not say last names, but it does say first names and a small blurb.

Id personally be amazed if it ever came back to haunt you, but do you run the risk if someone who ever recognizes you runs across the calendar. Its crappy but being a guy VS girl actually would make a huge difference here.

If this is some random low budget calendar that'll never sell more than a few hundred copies its a pretty safe bet you wont get noticed. If its like the annual hooters calendar that will be distributed all over the country, then someone who knows you is probably gonna see it lol.

Your situation seems right out of an episode of Grey's Anatomy, where Izzie modeled to put herself through medical school and it came back to bite her when a patient recognized her from an underwear ad. I think the bigger question is why you want to do it. In this day and age, you could find almost anything on the internet if you try hard enough, and I'm not sure if it would be advisable to model for this kind of calendar because it could affect your career (in any field, not just medicine) much farther down the line.

I would advise against doing this. However if you do, I'd see if you could use a fake name and blurb/bio for the calendar.
That would help minimize your chances of being recognized

OP profile says "male", so as far as the double standards go, it probably won't matter too much.

OP profile says "male", so as far as the double standards go, it probably won't matter too much.

Sadly, I have to agree... The double standard is alive and well. But you should be prepared to address the topic if asked -- as you well might be.

You should send me the pictures to evaluate how an adcomm would view them.

OP this is a very important issue. You should PM me the pics immediately so I can judge whether they are appropriate to release. ;)

Beat me to it.

EDIT: oh just realized it's not a female.

Quick note: International copyright laws give the rights to the artist (the photographer) as soon as the shutter is clicked. That photographer has the legal right to do anything he or she pleases with that photo.

Typically, stock photo companies require a model release before selling photos, but IME it's a formality. If you are under 18, that would change things, but for the most part, if you don't want your image shared far and wide, don't pose for it.