MOA of Aluminum Chloride/Drysol?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YL4life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of this stuff? It is a topical that helps treat hyperhydrosis, but how the heck does it work? My pharm book makes no mention of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no pharmacy student (until of course august 24th) but I generally know how it works. when exposed to sweat or immediately when applied to the skin (I'm not sure), the aluminum chloride forms a gel plug in the sweat pores. this blocks sweat from being released onto the surface of the skin. this gel plus is eventually sloughed off by the wear-and-tear of friction throughout the day or washed off while bathing. reapplication is necessary once again and the cycle repeats.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder why my Katzung pharmacy book makes no mention of this drug.....and info on the web is sparce. For instance, what exactly in sweat does AlCl react with? What are the mechanisms of side effects(rash, etc.)? Have there been any long-term trials with this stuff that has proven its safety? Hmmmmm.