Missing a semester of bio lab.. what can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golic

Reaction score
I got my bachelors at UCSB in chemistry. Started my prereqs late and ended up not being able to do the last semesters worth of bio lab before I left. ( UCSB counts the labs as separate classes from the lectures, so I have ever pre req done including bio lectures) Now I’m in a situation where I’ve been trying to get the last semester of bio lab at my local state college or junior college. I have to retake the bio lecture for the last half since out here the lecture and lab classes are combined which is fine but, the issue though is that both the state school and JC are super impacted and since I have my bachelors already I’m on the last on the list to pick classes. This is the 2nd year I’ve been denied the class. I’ve already exhausted all my other avenues and spoken to every advisor I could. What else can I do? Will I get denied from med school for missing this class? DO or MD.
My SGPa: 3.45, overall gpa: 3.40 and MCAT: 524. If this helps at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some schools do require 2 semesters of biology lab as a prerequisite, so you definitely do need to get it done. I'm not sure if the timeline would work out, but you might be able to take it during your school's summer session. Usually, your prerequisites just need to be done before matriculation into medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Most medical schools that I have seen require two years of biology with lab. You could apply to medical school without completing the lab but would likely receive a conditional acceptance contingent upon meeting the requirements by matriculation. I would look online to see if there are some intensive lab courses that you could take. I believe some online degree programs have in person labs that meet on an intensive basis for one or two weeks. Other than that, you may need to take a summer session at a school that will allow you to register just by paying the fee (Harvard Extension, UCLA extension, etc).

Edit: Could you register at your JC as an Associates degree student in something - like biotechnology - just to have a more favorable registration time?

Reactions: 1 user