Misdemeanor for speeding - implications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkif586

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I live in a crazy state where speeding is classified as a misdemeanor. And today I got first ticket in my life for going 15 miles over the limit (40) down the hill, I paid it. I admit, I speeded, and paid the fine. The question is - how do medical schools view this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I live in a crazy state where speeding is classified as a misdemeanor. And today I got first ticket in my life for going 15 miles over the limit (40) down the hill, I paid it. I admit, I speeded, and paid the fine. The question is - how do medical schools view this?

Depends on the state and it depends on the school. Were you cited for reckless driving (in Texas I believe 15 over qualifies for that)? That, in Texas, is a misdemeanor. Some schools don’t require you to report speeding tickets, but if you were cited for something in addition to speeding, then that changes things. I would look up each school-specific policy regarding this, as well as what specifically you admitted guilt to (speeding and/or reckless driving).

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the state and it depends on the school. Were you cited for reckless driving (in Texas I believe 15 over qualifies for that)? That, in Texas, is a misdemeanor. Some schools don’t require you to report speeding tickets, but if you were cited for something in addition to speeding, then that changes things. I would look up each school-specific policy regarding this, as well as what specifically you admitted guilt to (speeding and/or reckless driving).
Hi. No reckless driving and I am not from Texas. I was cited only for speeding, nothing else, which is classified as a minor misdemeanor and results in 1 point, besides that I have perfect driving record since I got my license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sir @Goro I really need your “Take two of these please” response :angelic:

I would have disputed the ticket in the first place

Hi. No reckless driving and I am not from Texas. I was cited only for speeding, nothing else, which is classified as a minor misdemeanor and results in 1 point, besides that I have perfect driving record since I got my license.

Since it is just speeding, then you are fine, unless the school specifically requires that you report even speeding tickets. I do not know which schools, however.

I would have disputed the ticket in the first place
Honestly I didn’t want to get into all of these, I don’t have time even for sleep and the last thing I want to do is to drive to some court in another county in the middle of nowhere and trying to dispute 100 dollar ticket

Yes it’s a misdemeanor...explain it as you did in the OP (but omit the word crazy) and that will be the end of it.
just own up to it when the time comes and you’ll be fine.

My friend has similar on his record from high school speeding ticket.

You have to always list it on everything it seems. Annoying.

But it doesnt matter really. Just explain it accurately.

If you need comfort with x=1, my friend attended a top 10 med school. Matched residency in CA as OOS applicant. Got appointed as chief resident. And had excellent luck on the fellowship trail interviewing at places like Harvard and Stanford.

...all with a speeding ticket misdemeanor on his record.

You will be fine.

Just feel lucky going 15 over is only a 100 dollar fine. Some NY statie docked me 250 bucks for going 9 over on I90, last time I drive through that state.

This comes up a lot, it's a speeding ticket. If it was something like reckless endangerment then it might be a problem. But that's only if it's like 26 over or whatever.

I had 3 traffic misdemeanors (2 of which are more serious than yours) and it hasn't come up in any of my interviews yet. Don't worry about it.

The problem that this is a misdemeanor which puts me in one row with assault offenders and petty thieves.
Plenty of people get misdemeanors (like yours) and go to law or med school they just don't talk about it. I know several people with much worse stuff like DUIs and are in law or medical school. Someone I know was even arrested with drug charges and is top of his class in law school now. They obviously cleaned up their act but its not super super rare

Last edited:
Plenty of people get misdemeanors (like yours) and go to law or med school they just don't talk about it. I know several people with much worse stuff like DUIs and are in law or medical school. Someone I know was even arrested with drug charges and is top of his class in law school now. They obviously cleaned up their act but its not super super rare
My fiance is an attorney. I can't tell you how many law students did party drugs throughout law school and still dabble in their professional careers.