Minority in Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImhotepIII

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just registered so I'm new to the forum. But I wanted to get some inspirational advice on getting into a med school. I go to SFSU and currently in my third year studying movement sciences,I'm honestly a "B" student when it comes to my science classes. I know that I'm not the smartest, but I work my ass off and try to make friends with most of classmates as well establish a friendship with my lab instructors. I know this shouldn't matter but I'm usually the only black person in my science classes,there might be one or two but that's really it. Sometimes I doubt myself cause I look around at who I'm competing with and it's mostly (not to sound stereotypical) smart Asian students and rich white students...I'm just keeping it real. It also seems like SOME of them just want to make money and they don't necessarily care about actually helping people like I do. But I digress, My instructors have told me that I would be a "shoe in" so to speak to medical schools cause of my background but I'm not really sure what to think about that. If any of you superhuman's can help me with some feed back on programs or things I should be doing it will be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome!!!!!!! Bro, first off I feel you on every account. Are you a physiology major???
Get involved with AMSA it has done so much for me. I was just elected pre-medical region 1 director. I would be more than willing to pm you sometime to help you out. I am a sophomore by the way. I also have a sense of inferiority at times. I go to a smaller school in western PA.

Get involved in things that you are passionate about that is the most I can tell you. I play tennis and I am officer of a couple organization. But the reoccurring thing in almost everything I do is because of my undying want to help people. I think you have that as well and I'm so happy to see it in another African-American. Pm me so that we can chat more! I'd be more than willing to give you some ideas and get you connected with some good people who care about helping others! You made my week!!!! I don't care about the money at one point I thought I should just be a humanitarian but I figure why not try to be both a doctor and a humanitarian.

I'm studying kinesiology, specifically movement science so basically I take courses like peak performance, exercise physiology, along with the big boy science classes for med school. I figure kin will be a " breath of fresh air" so to speak on the my résumé. Right now I'm a student manger for my campus recreation department at state, but I want to start volunteering and join some programs so I can build more substance. I have a few things lined up though, I've recently linked up with some solid people at UCSF who have been informing me on programs and what not. And I'll PM you, have a couple of questions to ask. And thanks for responding , much appreciated my brotha. Best of luck to you as well. It's ironic how black people were the first known doctors (evidence from Egyptian medical papyri) and now there's just a hand full of us trying to pursue it now-a-days.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just registered so I'm new to the forum. But I wanted to get some inspirational advice on getting into a med school. I go to SFSU and currently in my third year studying movement sciences,I'm honestly a "B" student when it comes to my science classes. I know that I'm not the smartest, but I work my ass off and try to make friends with most of classmates as well establish a friendship with my lab instructors. I know this shouldn't matter but I'm usually the only black person in my science classes,there might be one or two but that's really it. Sometimes I doubt myself cause I look around at who I'm competing with and it's mostly (not to sound stereotypical) smart Asian students and rich white students...I'm just keeping it real. It also seems like SOME of them just want to make money and they don't necessarily care about actually helping people like I do. But I digress, My instructors have told me that I would be a "shoe in" so to speak to medical schools cause of my background but I'm not really sure what to think about that. If any of you superhuman's can help me with some feed back on programs or things I should be doing it will be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks

I totally understand where you are coming from! I'm doubling in math and chem at a top public university and being the only AA in my class still bothers me at times. I came from a very urban public school system and it has really been a culture shock for me. I'm getting used to it though. It's comforting to know that other AAs, especially my brothers lol, out here are trying to make it as well Lol.

I have also found it hard to find meaningful opportunities to really help others in a consistent way especially in a clinical setting. I've been apart of big brothers big sisters and that is truly my favorite program where I feel like I'm actually making a difference rather than checking something off on my résumé.

I'm studying kinesiology, specifically movement science so basically I take courses like peak performance, exercise physiology, along with the big boy science classes for med school. I figure kin will be a " breath of fresh air" so to speak on the my résumé. Right now I'm a student manger for my campus recreation department at state, but I want to start volunteering and join some programs so I can build more substance. I have a few things lined up though, I've recently linked up with some solid people at UCSF who have been informing me on programs and what not. And I'll PM you, have a couple of questions to ask. And thanks for responding , much appreciated my brotha. Best of luck to you as well. It's ironic how black people were the first known doctors (evidence from Egyptian medical papyri) and now there's just a hand full of us trying to pursue it now-a-days.

I am glad you have something's in mind. I wish you all the best and more. In response to the snippet about Egyptian doctors... All I can say is that our culture is to blame. Most blacks don't grow up thinking they have a chance to do something great with knowledge they procure. It is only about the quick and big bucks!!!

I am glad you have something's in mind. I wish you all the best and more. In response to the snippet about Egyptian doctors... .All I can say is that our culture is to blame Most blacks don't grow up thinking they have a chance to do something great with knowledge they procure. It is only about the quick and big bucks!!!

Eh. Anyone can do well if they work hard. I don't think "our culture" has anything to do with what you can or can not do.

Edit, I'm a black male too.

Eh. Anyone can do well if they work hard. I don't think "our culture" has anything to do with what you can or can not do.

I don't know if it's a matter of what you can and cannot do, but I believe the environment you grow up in influences a lot of your decisions in life. So maybe it's just a matter of what you believe you can do. I think that without that will power, you won't get that far.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if it's a matter of what you can and cannot do, but I believe the environment you grow up in influences a lot of your decisions in life. So maybe it's just a matter of what you believe you can do. I think that without that will power, you won't get that far.

Science is not a high priority in Black school's curriculum or community goals. Since you are a science major maybe you should do some outreach. Consider yourself lucky and help out others if it bothers you.

Science is not a high priority in Black school's curriculum or community goals. Since you are a science major maybe you should do some outreach. Consider yourself lucky and help out others if it bothers you.

:confused: thanks for the advice? I'm confused by your response to my statement. I was just giving my opinion on the matter of will power, and I get a reply about how I should feel and what I should do...

:confused: thanks for the advice? I'm confused by your response to my statement. I was just giving my opinion on the matter of will power, and I get a reply about how I should feel and what I should do...

Sorry, my reply was more guided to the OP and thread as a whole. In all fairness to me, you all look alike (the sdn handles) :smuggrin:

Thanks
Easy admission because you are black??? Not in California where I live!

Easy admission because you are black??? Not in California where I live!

I live in Cali too my friend and I didn't say it would be easy. As long as I remain competitive and play my cards right, I should be able to get into a DO or MD school.

I live in Cali too my friend and I didn't say it would be easy. As long as I remain competitive and play my cards right, I should be able to get into a DO or MD school.

I wish you luck...

Wrong according to all data to date.
Where you grow up( cultural influence) has been shown to influence how you do in life to an extent.
Just FYI.

...and try to make friends with most of classmates as well establish a friendship with my lab instructors. I know this shouldn't matter but I'm usually the only black person in my science classes,there might be one or two but that's really it. Sometimes I doubt myself cause I look around at who I'm competing with ...

Sounds like my life everyday. Lol.

I know this shouldn't matter but I'm usually the only black person in my science classes,there might be one or two but that's really it. Sometimes I doubt myself cause I look around at who I'm competing with and it's mostly (not to sound stereotypical) smart Asian students and rich white students...I'm just keeping it real.

I concur, i really hate this feeling being sometimes the only black man in my science classes.

I just got fed up and decided to do something about it so I got involved with a outreach program with UCSF geared toward high school freshmen, in attempts to get more minorities interested in STEM classes. I personally went out and grabbed young black males and told them to come join. We have a one month intensive summer program were students get a chance to work in labs and so they can get prepared for AP/sophomore science classes and essentially prepare for college. A big irritant that I observed was that the teachers at some of these high schools are lazy, and basically give up hope in their students especially black students. Only if these young black students knew their ancestry came from greatness, and the very essence of science stems from African culture things would be a lot differ.

i just got fed up and decided to do something about it so i got involved with a outreach program with ucsf geared toward high school freshmen, in attempts to get more minorities interested in stem classes. I personally went out and grabbed young black males and told them to come join. We have a one month intensive summer program were students get a chance to work in labs and so they can get prepared for ap/sophomore science classes and essentially prepare for college. A big irritant that i observed was that the teachers at some of these high schools are lazy, and basically give up hope in their students especially black students. Only if these young black students knew their ancestry came from greatness, and the very essence of science stems from african culture things would be a lot differ.

How noble of you to do that.