Minority Fears??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetPea07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :) (yes, I realize I just posted but I had a question)
What are your experiences and fears as a minority??
I'll tell you mine to start.
Where I live there is an ever growing Hispanic population. Since I was a kid I used to act as Translator at Medical appointments, court dates, etc. One thing that struck me was the discrimination against one's own kind. Many of the people I would go with to see doctors requested white ones. I assume now it was because in their land of origin (and any immigrant I guess can correlate), the lighter one's skin is the more opportunities the have. And it is true. A handful hold the resources while the rest barely scrimmage a living. They bring the mentality with them. The white doctors OBVIOUSLY are better doctors. I completely disagree but in my country race is not an issue. I did not even learn of the concept of 'race' til I came here. :confused::confused:
I also spent and still do spend much of my time tutoring (for free) kids that just came here. They are thrust in public school without a clue and struggle to keep up with their non-immigrant peers. My mom and I try to fill in the gaps. However, their parents stopped wanting me to tutor them believing that they should be put to work instead! I was appalled!! :eek::eek::eek:
All that is doing is reinforcing a new working poor without the skills needed to succeed!!! My mother and I tried to persuade them to allow them to return to classes and school but we were promptly refused. "if they won't learn, they'll work." How is that suppossed to be helping our people do better and attain the un-attainable. It frustrated me so much. To this day, I have seen 4 of the 15 kids I was helping, be put to work. And they can still barely communicate in English. Some only know dialect!
Have any of you met hardships, wanting those around you to do better in a country where its seems less and less attainable????

Members don't see this ad.