minimum GPA reqs...set in stone???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubleOSeven

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, i was just on the aacom website and looking at the "supplemental" requirements. Some DO schools listed that they wanted a cummulative and science gpa of 3.0. Is that set in stone??? Should I not waste my time applying to schools such as these if I don't meet this req? I emailed the schools directly to find out but I just wanted to see if any of you have had an experience applying to a school with a GPA req which you did not meet and what happened. Thanx in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

here's the thing...GPA is calculated differently between AMCAS and AACOMAS....my AMCAS gpa for science and overall was quite a bit lower than that for AACOMAS. I was in your situation with AMCAS calculating my gpa to be 2.75 for science and 3.0 for overall(ofcourse I had extenuating circumstances which I had to explain further)...nonetheless, I received MD and DO interviews and acceptances. I think you should try to assess your personal situation as to what was the cause of the low grades..and make sure you repeated the courses you did bad in and then check what AACOMAS and AMCAS calculates it to be. Then from there check how strong the rest of your application seems to be(extracurriculars, awards, leadership, research, study abroad, work, volunteering...etc..)....not that you needed to have done ALL of these..but see how much of any you have done then consider applying. Oh and also...one thing I forgot...your MCAT score es muy importante in the decision as well. Check that out too. It's real hard to tell people not to apply or tell people to apply...because I thought I had no chance of getting in med school at all...I had low GPA and moderate MCAT scores..but my determination paid off in the end...and I think it will for you and others like you...if you really want it...you will get it! :)

Good luck,

Mani
NSUCOM Class of 2007 :clap:

Nothing is set in stone!

If your personal qualities fit the school needs, you will likely receive an interview. Of course, your personal statement and secondary essays need to be eye-catching. You better have good extra curriculars or a good amount of work experience in some type of public service.

As the previous poster said, "determination paid off..."

Good Luck!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx for your responses folks! I really appreciate that! I was just wondering if any of you had feedback about my particular situation- I have a pretty obvious discrepancy between my lower division and upper division science grades with my upper div courses being much better (A's and some B's as oppose to C's). Should I discuss this in my personal statement or is it redundant?

I would focus on the positives in your application. GPA is just a number.

DoubleOSeven,

My earlier undergrad work was a bit shakey as well. I had a 3.11 when I quit school with two classes to go before graduating. I entered the work force and have been working for the past 8 years as a police officer. I decided to go back to school in 1999 since I realized that I wanted to become a physician. I continued to work full-time and attend classes full-time. In 2002, I graduated after taking all the prereqs for med. school. BioChem, OChem, ect. I ended up with a GPA for the last three years of 3.96. My overall was now a 3.41 and a science GPA of 3.63. My MCAT score was not stellar at 29. I would urge you to continue doing very well in you classes. I interiewed at several MD and DO institutions and received many acceptances. In each personal essay including ACOMAS and AAMCAS I touched on the discrepancies between my prior grades (1990-1991) and my current performance but remain focused on my streangths. At most interviews I had to explain it again but that was O.K. They all seemed to be impressed. Any school that is worth going to looks at your trends not at just a few classes that you did poorly in.

Good Luck,