mindblowing fact to ponder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
was speaking to some savvy investor friends of mine who started throwing around statistics. turns out that since microsoft went public in 1987, the stock has split 2 for 1, 9 times. so one share in microsoft bought back then is worth 256 of todays shares. and $100,000 invested in microsoft back then is worth a whopping 25 million today. Thats rite 25 million.

For the average medical student here, your parents probably spent 100,000 on going to grad school themselves or on your food, clothing and education bills...Or perhaps on that home extension, club house and swimming pool in your backyard. Most of you were around 10 years old around 1986.

So, instead of spending 1000s on good primary schools, in order that you may get into a good high school, in order that you may impress the admissions committee at a top 20 college, in order that you may throw many 100,000s more into ivy league medical schools, so that you may graduate successfully to enter into a plum orthopaedic or radiology residnecy spot (all btw. in addition to working your precious derrieres off while your goof off cream puff arts degree students were smoking dope in their dorm rooms and getting tender with college girls), your parents decided to buy microsoft stock for you, you too could have been goofing off today as opposed to worrying about board scores, LORs and kissing some loser lifeless attendings ass just because he did it when he was there and so should you now..And the sad fact is that for you to make 25 million as a clinician will take 5 lifetimes (assuming the average take home pay of a physician is 200,000). And honestly how much satisfaction can there be in taking out gall bladders or looking at xrays or fixing electolyte disturbances.

Bah! Lets devote our energies to finding the next microsoft and forget about ass kissing and getting good scores on standardised Multiple choice tests that do little but waste time.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah! Do it! Screw this rat race endless treadmill, this ever-steepening mountain of despair and frustration. Get out while you can! It's not worth it! Run! Run like the wind!

... (Are they gone?) ...

Cool. Chances I might get in someday may have just improved by one more fraction of a percent. :smuggrin:

And yeah, I find the renal function tests and the reductions of dislocations and even the boring ol' scalp lacs to be fairly satisfying. What can I say; the liberal arts days were fun, but there's only so much beer you can drink and only so many other people's girlfriends you can entertain before you need to find a career for life.

And whose parents had a pool? Not mine, that's for sure.

What if you were the unlucky one whose parents decided to be smart and put their life's savings into one of the many other stocks that bottomed out??? - then you'd be crying that they didn't play it safe and invest in your education for you. No one knows what the next microsoft will be that's the problem.

I have a better idea - go buy 100,000 lottery tickets and try to win Powerball - yeah, that's the way to go! Forget this medicine thing!

Your investor friends should also tell you that Microsoft was an anomoly. I knew a guy who put his life savings in microsoft when it came out. I haven't seen him in about a decade. Microsoft is legendary for having millionaire secretaries and janitors.

And yes, I know a lot of people who lost a large chunk of cash when the market bottomed out (over 75% of their assets).

Gamble if you want, I'll take my education any day.

ALTorGT said:
Bah! Lets devote our energies to finding the next microsoft and forget about ass kissing and getting good scores on standardised Multiple choice tests that do little but waste time.
I realize this was probably tongue in cheek, but there are lots of much smarter people working on this exact task, and even given the vast amounts of brain power most of them will fail at it. Remember that Microsoft didn't look anything like a sure thing back in 1987.

Its unlikely that we will see a company like Microsoft for at least another 50 years as a new industry develops. Maybe affordable private space flight or something (in which Amazon founder CEO Bezos has invested millions).