Mimetic Desire and Speciality Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brycew85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing up Rene Girard’s “Things Hidden Since The Foundation of the World” and Holy ****!

This is to Psychology/Sociology what “Descent of Man” is to Biology and what “Principia” is to Physics. Arguably the most red/black pill book of all time. It is Peter Thiel’s favorite book of all-time and what made him become the first outside investor in Facebook since he understood the power of Mimetic Desire and how Facebook would harness that power. Tread lightly though….it will likely rewire your brain and alter your life about 4 chapters in.

tl;dr - after the basic necessities in life (food, shelter, etc.) we desire things because others desire them, not because we intrinsically desire them. In fact we can’t intrinsically desire anything. All desire is imitative throughout our entire lives from our parents, to our peers, to celebrities, etc.

Shortest video I could find that accurately explains it:

Applying that to specialty choice - Competitive specialties are competitive in large part because they’re competitive. Medical students see that X specialty is competitive and surmise it must be a good speciality not realizing that it may not be a good speciality for them. Often times students who do well in med school feel they need to apply to a competitive field to validate their achievement. This drives up more interest and the cycle continues.

People often chalk up competitiveness of a specialty to a combination of money and lifestyle but ignore the most important component - the competitiveness itself (a proxy for prestige and desirability).

Students that apply to non-competitive fields are either limited by scores/grades/school but more often have other models of desire that outweigh the ones of chasing pure desirability. For example someone may want to model their career after their hometown pediatrician who took care of them and their siblings and that mimetic desire is stronger than the potential mimetic desire of the top students in their class wanting to go into surgical sub specialties.

The important thing is to realize that you can’t escape mimesis but instead you should choose your models of desire carefully. Additionally you should focus on thick desires (values that are related to your core being) rather than thin desires (fads and trends that the crowd is going for)

Luke Burgis talks more about this here

I see a lot of befuddled med students deciding what specialty to go into both in real life and here and figured this would provide a fresh perspective on that. Let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think
Consider the extremes and it usually explains ALL jobs.
If you compare 2 hypothetical jobs: 1 million hours for 1 dollar vs. working 1 hour for 1 million dollars which job would be more competitive.
it's just work/life balance.

As for me, my purpose of this route is so that I could gain the knowledge, connections, and money to self fund aging research. I want to live longer. It's such a sad reality life is right now. If you consider life to be a game, it is a TERRIBLY designed RPG game and has been since the dawn of human existence.

Imagine your entire RPG game was designed to be a trial version where you had only 76 minutes to play, afterwhich the game is spontaneously deleted from your PC. (models our 76 year lifespan).
Then consider, of those 76 minutes you have to play, you spend 35 minutes of that just PLAYING THE TUTORIAL!!
That means you actually have about 40 minutes of actual gameplay. However, of those 40 minutes, you realize that you can't do what you want. Because your character has 0 Gold. Actually, after the tutorial, your character has -300,000 Gold.
Your character then spends the next 10 minutes making it back.

Now, you got 30 minutes left of the game where you can actually do what you want.
Problem is, you realize that in this game, your character's stats in STR,INT, DEX, and LUK DROPS WITH TIME.
By this point, your character is so damn crippled that you couldn't actually fight any monsters.
And then your game spontaneously deletes itself soon after.

If this game wasn't the center of scorn as the WORST GAME DESIGNED IN ALL OF GAME HISTORY only deserving of LAW SUITS TO idk......God Corporation.

Anyways. That's life. There's a lot of systemic redesigning that needs to be done on society (aka the physics engine of the game) and our own bodies (extending the trial period)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Finishing up Rene Girard’s “Things Hidden Since The Foundation of the World” and Holy ****!

This is to Psychology/Sociology what “Descent of Man” is to Biology and what “Principia” is to Physics. Arguably the most red/black pill book of all time. It is Peter Thiel’s favorite book of all-time and what made him become the first outside investor in Facebook since he understood the power of Mimetic Desire and how Facebook would harness that power. Tread lightly though….it will likely rewire your brain and alter your life about 4 chapters in.
Hyperbole much? And everyone knows the equivalent book in regard to impact in the social sciences is “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.”

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hyperbole much? And everyone knows the equivalent book in regard to impact in the social sciences is “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.”
If only a book would help us mere mortal men understand womankind.

On the other hand, "Everything I Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten," actually has some real wisdom in it.

We think too much, hence the popularity of self-help books. I know I spent way too much time worrying about specialty (and career/life) choices. More often we should just channel our inner Neanderthal and keep it simple. Like when my wife and are are having a disagreement about something (lets say it's about silly like buying a plate)--I'll tell her all the reasons the plate doesn't make sense. It's not microwave safe, or it's too expensive, or it's so fragile it'll break soon, etc. etc. And she responds with a genuinely stated "but it makes me happy." And I realize I have literally no way to argue against that--I mean, she's not even making an argument for me to be able to argue against!

• Love
That's pretty how most humans and animals operate by default. Emotion overrides reason.
That's maybe because emotion evolved much earlier than our giant frontal cortex.

Hence early education is important- something severely lacking in this country and correlated with poverty

I think this is less specialty choice and more program prestige. Specialty choice is a huge decision based on work style preferences, compensation, and lifestyle. There are very obvious and quantifiable reasons that certain specialties are competitive. If things were just competitive because they were competitive, you wouldn't see such a massive correlation with competitiveness and pay/lifestyle.

Mimetic desire is real, but program prestige is where it comes into play, not specialty choice. Think about training in surgery at MGH vs. Pitt. Both of them will get you into any specialty. Both of them will get you a job in any location. The majority of applicants have no interest in academia. Yet one of those residencies is significantly more competitive than the other. You may even have an objectively better life training at Pitt compared to MGH (residency salary goes much further in Pittsburgh than Boston). Even if someone disagrees with this particular example, you can find a million more that are valid. Going to a more prestigious residency program probably won't make you any extra money or enhance your life in any particular way, but people are willing to uproot their lives, end relationships, and move extremely far from family and friends to jump up 10 spots in the rankings to a super prestige residency. IMO that is true mimetic desire.

If only a book would help us mere mortal men understand womankind.

On the other hand, "Everything I Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten," actually has some real wisdom in it.

We think too much, hence the popularity of self-help books. I know I spent way too much time worrying about specialty (and career/life) choices. More often we should just channel our inner Neanderthal and keep it simple. Like when my wife and are are having a disagreement about something (lets say it's about silly like buying a plate)--I'll tell her all the reasons the plate doesn't make sense. It's not microwave safe, or it's too expensive, or it's so fragile it'll break soon, etc. etc. And she responds with a genuinely stated "but it makes me happy." And I realize I have literally no way to argue against that--I mean, she's not even making an argument for me to be able to argue against!
Well, that’s when you ask, “Why does it make you happy?”

Well, that’s when you ask, “Why does it make you happy?”
"Because it does."

(she says very sweetly with anime eyes)

Fortunately my wife is very easy to make happy and not into buying expensive things. I can literally get her a dollar-store gift for her birthday and it'll make her happy.

Reactions: 2 users