Military residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayce79

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an hpsp 4th yr who will be starting a military residency in June. Will the military pay for books/supplies needed during residency? Also, do they pay for Step 3?
Just curious if I need to save up! I imagine the books for residency can run up quite a bill.

Members don't see this ad.

grayce79 said:
I'm an hpsp 4th yr who will be starting a military residency in June. Will the military pay for books/supplies needed during residency? Also, do they pay for Step 3?
Just curious if I need to save up! I imagine the books for residency can run up quite a bill.

I know that my program will NOT pay for Step 3. There was talk that they would buy some of the books for us, they said that to the class before us also and that did not end up happening. I would plan on buying your own books, paying for Step 3 and paying your own fees for licensure. Or, call your program director or program secretary and ask...

grayce79 said:

My program doesn't pay for jack. See you soon neighbor! Steve

grayce79 said:
I'm an hpsp 4th yr who will be starting a military residency in June. Will the military pay for books/supplies needed during residency?

No, you're no longer on a scholarship. So you'll have to pay for all that stuff with your salary, which is pretty good.

grayce79 said:
Also, do they pay for Step 3?
No, but I think it's at least tax deductible.