Military Residency in Infectious Diseases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDtoDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting med school in the fall and am in the process of applying for the army scholarship.

The recruiter has tried to send me the residency manual several times and I've never received it (I live in New Orleans).

Could someone please let me know a website that details the training protocol for the army clearly for a non-military person and perhaps let me know the locations.

I'm assuming its any internal medicine residency then an infectious disease fellowship...but I can't get a clear picture.

thanks

-s

Members don't see this ad.

During internship you have to apply for a residency position. During residency you would have to apply for fellowship. After internship you might be required to do a GMO tour before preceding on to residency. As an attending you might have to finish a "utilitization tour" before being permitted to start a fellowship. With that being said, the military has a very strong ID program given its international nature.

PhDtoMD said:
I'm starting med school in the fall and am in the process of applying for the army scholarship.

The recruiter has tried to send me the residency manual several times and I've never received it (I live in New Orleans).

Could someone please let me know a website that details the training protocol for the army clearly for a non-military person and perhaps let me know the locations.

I'm assuming its any internal medicine residency then an infectious disease fellowship...but I can't get a clear picture.

thanks

-s

IgD said:
During internship you have to apply for a residency position. During residency you would have to apply for fellowship. After internship you might be required to do a GMO tour before preceding on to residency. As an attending you might have to finish a "utilitization tour" before being permitted to start a fellowship. With that being said, the military has a very strong ID program given its international nature.

One point of clarification - most (if not all) of the army IM residencies now are "continuous contract", so you do not apply for internship & residency seperately. In your 4th year of med school, you would apply directly for the residency. At the end of your residency, you would apply for the ID fellowship (or whichever one you want) BUT not everyone who wants a fellowship gets it - some people have to go out for a tour as a general internal medicine doc before being allowed to reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks,

I thought it was generally the same accept for military responsibilities. My recruiter doesn't seem to know anything and after three times, can't seem to get a residency hand book to me.

It's really sad that I'm totally sure that I want the scholarship and pretty sure I'll get it....

Now I can't get any real help...and more often than not...no return call.

And this guy is going to med school next year too.

-s

PhDtoMD said:
I thought it was generally the same accept for military responsibilities. My recruiter doesn't seem to know anything and after three times, can't seem to get a residency hand book to me.

Try calling the ID fellowship program director at Walter Reed and ask your questions.