This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kachiai

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my 4th year of residency for orthopedic surgery. I am commissioned as an O3 in the army reserves and doing the STRAP/HPLRP. Does anyone have information of what life is like post residency? I am trying to sign a contract with a private practice group, and they have concerns about me being in the reserves. I appreciate any information that might help calm their concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

They are right to be concerned. You will potentially be deployed for about 4 months every two or three years if a heavy tempo war breaks out. I think ethically you're obligated to tell potential employers this.

On a more positive note, when we're at peace, you reserve duty shouldn't impact your practice much. I only have to take off about three or four days per year for MUTA-6 or MUTA-8 drills. This is in addition to the two weeks for AT.

But reserve duty kind of limits you to HMOs, public entities, or large private practices. Or small group practices in which they don't think things through, which is troubling in other ways.

Reactions: 1 user