Military Pharmacist ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chess03

Reaction score
I'm graduating from pharmacy school very soon, and I'm still trying to figure out my career path. I think I keep going back and forth because I'm anxious about the job market that I'm about to enter into. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience of joining the Air Force or Army after graduation from pharmacy school and the application process. I was especially interested in the residencies programs that are offered through these branches. Does anyone know or understand the application process for these residencies once you're in the military (how competitive they are, spots available, what they look for, interview process ?). Any information is helpful. I'm not interested in joining because of potential loan payment because my loans are pretty small. I was more interested in the military to have a difference experience, travel, and gain leadership skills.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating from pharmacy school very soon, and I'm still trying to figure out my career path. I think I keep going back and forth because I'm anxious about the job market that I'm about to enter into. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience of joining the Air Force or Army after graduation from pharmacy school and the application process. I was especially interested in the residencies programs that are offered through these branches. Does anyone know or understand the application process for these residencies once you're in the military (how competitive they are, spots available, what they look for, interview process ?). Any information is helpful. I'm not interested in joining because of potential loan payment because my loans are pretty small. I was more interested in the military to have a difference experience, travel, and gain leadership skills.

There is a long process. However, the process is straight forward but it will be all about timing.

1) You need to contact an AMEDD recruiter (Army MEDical Department). Not the recruiters you see in the mini-malls for enlistment purposes, but an AMEDD Health Recruiter who can speak with you about gaining a packet and getting started with your interest in being a 67E (Specific coding for army pharmacist). Contact or google local AMEDD Recruiter and use the Locator system to put you in touch with the right person.

2) Packet submission differs, but you want to get started NOW. It may take you until spring to get everything as organized as possible and ready for submission. Once again your AMEDD Recruiter will assist you in this process. Some examples are doctor appointments to check your physical and mental well being as well as transcripts and soon-to-be certificates and licensures.

3) ALWAYS MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENTS. Even if a family member passes away, always keep your appointments (sounds sardonic, but its very important that you meet this criteria or you get pushed to the back of a competitive process. Welcome to the army screening).

4) You cannot submit your packet until you can bring in a copy of your License not just graduation certificate. The rule is you MUST be a licensed pharmacist. For many people, they have to wait a whole year depending on when they take the NAPLEX, when they get the scores in, and when they submit it within their packet.

5) If the due date is June 1st or October 1st of every year, you submit it beforehand through your AMEDD recruiters guidance. This sounds obvious, but no such thing as being a day late. If you cannot get your license in by the set time frame, you wait until next year.

6) AMEDD will contact you when interviews start. Selected people are looking for GPA status, your ranking, and (without legally saying it for army) your overall physical fitness. I always encourage people to utilize the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) and have a recruiter record your record of each event (it has changed since I left as of this month...Used to be 2 minutes of pushups, sit-ups, and a 2 mile run. Army is changing). I always encourage those to submit this as extra in their packets to help stand out in any way possible.

7) Assuming all goes well, you wont here anything until possibly after Christmas time or into January of the Following year. Every year the cut off changes from 3-6 people to more or less. Cut-backs have been happening so I cannot say nor will I guess what the competitive pool is like (Your AMEDD personnel can give you a better idea).

8) If you get in, great! You will be sworn in at your nearest Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) and be put in the books for your service obligation which is a minimum of 3 years for starting 67E pharmacists who will start out at the rank of a Captain (O3). Of which you will go through the process of purchasing your military attire and start your training at Fort Sam Houston located in San Antonio Texas for officer training. You will also sign what type of bonus or forgiveness you want on loans. If you choose the lump sum, it is 30k at your first duty station. Getting a residency will tack on more years of service should you qualify but that's a story for another day.

Times change so get to your AMEDD recruiter and go from this point. You will have a lag time between submission and acceptance into the service so you need to be prepared to work in retail setting and cover yourself for a lag time of half a year or so. I hope this at least points you in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 users
Why not Navy?

Also, you might want to look into the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. They aren't currently accepting applications for pharmacists, but if you're able to get a job with IHS, BOP, or ICE as a civil servant, you can then apply to convert from the civil service to the Commissioned Corps.
^^^^^^^^^^

This. For what its worth to the OP, if I had known about the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (naïve and only focused on marines or army) My journey would've went a much smoother route in life. Even navy for that matter when it comes to pharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
By the time you arrive at DCC/BOLC, the Army will use the ACFT (Army Combat Fitness Test). The Army requires a four week course (DCC) in a Air Defense Artillery training battalion at Fort Sill (OK) before BOLC in San Antonio. The selection process will be extremely selective because the Army is downsizing. My board supposedly selected less than 3% of applicants. My BOLC cohort was almost all experienced pharmacists. I have no idea how they picked each of us; we are rather different. Now, the job market is worse and there are less spots available. By the way, you can commission anywhere (that is professional in nature) you want.

The Army is pushing PGY1 residencies a few years into our careers. We get paid our usual pay and benefits (much better than civilian resident pay) and there is some competition for the spots (about 50% get one). You would apply for the residencies 18 months in advance.

It took over a year from starting the application until I went to DCC. I commissioned about three months after the board then waited another six months. There are A LOT of changes in military medicine right now! No one knows exactly what Army Pharmacy will look like next year, five years from now, or when your career would end (if you go 20+ years).

"Why not Navy?" Are they looking for direct commission officers right now? Civil service is rather competitive as well. I interviewed at over 20 IHS and BOP sites to no avail. Direct tribal hire is another option to get one's foot in the door.

By the time you arrive at DCC/BOLC, the Army will use the ACFT (Army Combat Fitness Test). The Army requires a four week course (DCC) in a Air Defense Artillery training battalion at Fort Sill (OK) before BOLC in San Antonio. The selection process will be extremely selective because the Army is downsizing. My board supposedly selected less than 3% of applicants. My BOLC cohort was almost all experienced pharmacists. I have no idea how they picked each of us; we are rather different. Now, the job market is worse and there are less spots available. By the way, you can commission anywhere (that is professional in nature) you want.

The Army is pushing PGY1 residencies a few years into our careers. We get paid our usual pay and benefits (much better than civilian resident pay) and there is some competition for the spots (about 50% get one). You would apply for the residencies 18 months in advance.

It took over a year from starting the application until I went to DCC. I commissioned about three months after the board then waited another six months. There are A LOT of changes in military medicine right now! No one knows exactly what Army Pharmacy will look like next year, five years from now, or when your career would end (if you go 20+ years).

"Why not Navy?" Are they looking for direct commission officers right now? Civil service is rather competitive as well. I interviewed at over 20 IHS and BOP sites to no avail. Direct tribal hire is another option to get one's foot in the door.

any insight on the Army Reserves? Just got taken off the OML and and waiting on assignment orders.

Dang, you interviewed at over 20 IHS & BOP sites and didn't get an offer from a single interview? Do you happen to know why you weren't hired? Is it really that hard to get hired on at literally any IHS facility? @giga sounds like you might be well-informed on this topic?

Last edited:
Dang, you interviewed at over 20 IHS & BOP sites and didn't get an offer from a single interview? Do you happen to know why you weren't hired? Is it really that hard to get hired on at literally any IHS facility? @giga sounds like you might be well-informed on this topic?
I would figure there were better qualified or networked applicants. People want to work at those facilities for the benefits, job security, and possibly go to the Commissioned Corps side.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that its a stable opportunity, however, my experience with military recruiters/onboarding process has been AWFUL. Slow, getting completely ignored etc

I would figure there were better qualified or networked applicants. People want to work at those facilities for the benefits, job security, and possibly go to the Commissioned Corps side.

So in general it's probably safe to say that it's next to impossible to get a job as a pharmacist with IHS if you don't have any sort of networking connections (I.e., as a true outsider)?

^^^^^^^^^^

This. For what its worth to the OP, if I had known about the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (naïve and only focused on marines or army) My journey would've went a much smoother route in life. Even navy for that matter when it comes to pharmacy

I was told by a reliable Navy recruiter that for the 2019-2020 there are no pharmacist recruitment spots. AF and Army only options

I was told by a reliable Navy recruiter that for the 2019-2020 there are no pharmacist recruitment spots. AF and Army only options

spots for active enlisted to cross over to officer route were plenty when I was in. I cant attest for this upcoming cycle nor the future though

Reactions: 1 user
I would guess this is not unique to IHS, but true for most employers. If you are a complete stranger that they've never heard of, it's going to be harder to stand out. Also, if you have no geographic ties to the area (a true outsider), no prior work experience with Native Americans or rural communities, and no federal government experience or other public service experience, your resume pretty much screams "I don't really know what I am getting myself into and I am probably going to jump ship at the first opportunity I have." I wouldn't be surprised if most IHS sites would rather wait for better applicants/continue using temp contractors than hire someone who is high-risk for leaving the job within a year (this is pure speculation on my part and just my own opinion).

Thanks for the info. So if I unfortunately fall into the category of basically being an outsider (like you described), is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting hired for an IHS position?

Also, I noticed you mention that they often hire temp contract workers as well. Would you happen to know the names of any contracting agencies I could get in touch with about potential job opportunities?

Thanks

With a little bit of searching the web you'll be able to find contact information for IHS pharmacists. You could cold email/call a few folks, introduce yourself as a P4 interested in working at IHS and asking if you could talk more about what it would look like to work at their specific site. A lot of IHS pharmacists volunteer as pharmacy school liaisons (do a web search for PharmPAC UPOC) and would be happy to talk to you about their work (if I recall correctly, you're a P4?). That could be one way to start networking and building connections. It's also not too late to go to Midyear and try to network there, even if you are confident you aren't applying to residencies. Depending on how much time/resources you have, consider volunteering with any organizations focused on native american health or human services in your current area. There are several urban indian health programs out there that you could probably do some volunteering with before you graduate and/or while you're applying for jobs. I do not know which staffing companies IHS uses, but it probably wont hurt to reach out to all the major staffing companies as part of your job search strategy anyway.

@giga I appreciate the advice. I actually emailed the individual who is listed as the general IHS recruiter on IHS's website last week to express my interest in working as a pharmacist at an IHS site after I graduate in May. I haven't heard back yet, though, so I'm not sure if they're just busy or if they just aren't that receptive to outsiders... ? Either way, I guess if I don't hear back in a week or two, I could always email IHS pharmacists who practice at specific sites.

Also, I'll check into some of the volunteering suggestions you mentioned and see if any of those types of organizations exist in my area.