Military OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDentRob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question #1: I am planning on doing an OMS residency after DS and trying to decide whether to sign up with the Army ($20K bonus) or Air Force (no bonus but nicer facilities). I heard that the ARMY has about a 50% acceptance rate in to OMS residencies, but I am curious what the AF acceptance rate is into OMS programs?

Question #2: Also, in either branch, by what year do most typically get to start the program?

Question #3: Is it true that if you get into OS residency while you still have 3 yrs of HPSP payback left, that those 3 years can be paid back simultaneously with your 4 yrs of OS payback, with a total of only 9 yrs in the military after 4 yr residency and all years of payback? Or is it another 3 years in addition to the OS payback?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Question #1: I am planning on doing an OMS residency after DS and trying to decide whether to sign up with the Army ($20K bonus) or Air Force (no bonus but nicer facilities). I heard that the ARMY has about a 50% acceptance rate in to OMS residencies, but I am curious what the AF acceptance rate is into OMS programs?

Question #2: Also, in either branch, by what year do you get to start the program?

Question #3: Is it true that if you get into OS residency while you still have 3 yrs of HPSP payback left, that those 3 years can be paid back simultaneously with your 4 yrs of OS payback, with a total of only 9 yrs in the military after 4 yr residency and all years of payback? Or is it another 3 years in addition to the OS payback?

Search button, my friend!

I already tried that. I think #3 is true but I couldn't find specific answers to questions #1 and #2.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I already tried that. I think #3 is true but I couldn't find specific answers to questions #1 and #2.

Yes, but you need to factor in that you will most likely not be selected for the residency upon graduate. However, you will more than likely have to complete a GPR/AEGD then apply. You also need to realize that specializing in the military does weight class rank and board scores, but also military experience. So, after your GPR, you may have to complete a 2 year opperational tour (for the Navy, at least). Then you can start the long road as you mentioned above.

These forums keep saying that your specialty payback years are paid back simultaneously with any HPSP payback years. I have a recruiter telling me that it doesn't work that way, and that you owe those all back in addition to the HPSP years. I don't know whose telling the truth!

Yes, but you need to factor in that you will most likely not be selected for the residency upon graduate. However, you will more than likely have to complete a GPR/AEGD then apply. You also need to realize that specializing in the military does weight class rank and board scores, but also military experience. So, after your GPR, you may have to complete a 2 year opperational tour (for the Navy, at least). Then you can start the long road as you mentioned above.

OMS is an exception to this general rule. I think this year, the Navy took three or four people straight out of dental school. Look in the Navy Sticky (towards the end) for more details.

OMS is an exception to this general rule. I think this year, the Navy took three or four people straight out of dental school. Look in the Navy Sticky (towards the end) for more details.

Thank you for the correction.

I met two OMFS residents in their 2nd and 3rd year and they were both straight out of dental school (Army).

There's a list of those selected for post-grad training with names and numbers/alternates. Anyone that has a ranking of Lt. for AF and Army should be straight out of school. Those that are Cpt or higher are either prior military getting straight in from DS or already have severed a few years on active duty.

It seems like the more popular residencies (pedo, ortho, endo) are particular hard to get into and require at least a few years on active duty before selection.

You get to payback your OMFS training concurrently with your regular HPSP payback. SO if you get into staright from d-school, you spend 4 years in OMFS training and 4 years total payback for hpsp and omfs so 8 years total time on active duty (in military), IRR will be satisified with that as well.

I met two OMFS residents in their 2nd and 3rd year and they were both straight out of dental school (Army).

There's a list of those selected for post-grad training with names and numbers/alternates. Anyone that has a ranking of Lt. for AF and Army should be straight out of school. Those that are Cpt or higher are either prior military getting straight in from DS or already have severed a few years on active duty.

It seems like the more popular residencies (pedo, ortho, endo) are particular hard to get into and require at least a few years on active duty before selection.

You get to payback your OMFS training concurrently with your regular HPSP payback. SO if you get into staright from d-school, you spend 4 years in OMFS training and 4 years total payback for hpsp and omfs so 8 years total time on active duty (in military), IRR will be satisified with that as well.
Perfect explanation of how your payback will be setup if you are accepted right out of dental school.

The Air Force is going to start their first true right out of school resident this summer. Acceptance rate has been

2006: 5/12 (41.6%)
2007: 5/8 (62.5%)
2008: 8/11 (72.7%)

Perfect explanation of how your payback will be setup if you are accepted right out of dental school.

The Air Force is going to start their first true right out of school resident this summer. Acceptance rate has been

I'm still just floored by those numbers every time I see them. The military seems like a miracle path for someone who wants to be an OMS and is willing to serve. I can't believe more students don't apply straight out of school.

There is no way to figure out class rank or average board scores, is there?

There is no way to figure out class rank or average board scores, is there?

No. Even if there was it isn't relevant. Each year there will a completely new and different application pool varied by the number of active duty interested and HPSP/direct accession people.

Taking advantage of OMFS training through the military without having to be in the top 10 of your class etc. 90+ ndbe, etc is truly a great way to utilize your HPSP time and payback.

Does anyone know how the selection process works?

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking advantage of OMFS training through the military without having to be in the top 10 of your class etc. 90+ ndbe, etc is truly a great way to utilize your HPSP time and payback.

Have you contacted a residency director yet?

In the Army that last several years anywhere between 2-5 graduating dental students have been selected out of 10 OMS spots.

So according to those numbers, does that mean it might be easier to get into OMS in the AF than in the Army? If those were the acceptance numbers into OMS for the AF, then that's even a little better than Army. But AF maybe won't be as likely to take you straight out of dental school?

Guys, lets keep this incredible secret on the down low so everyone doesn't start figuring it out! :)

if you want to be selected right out of dental school, then those ARE the numbers you have to be close to. it's not easy to get selected right out of school.

the dental school numbers become less important after you've been on active duty and/or completed an AEGD.

2008: 8/11 (72.7%)[/QUOTE]

So it this what the acceptance rate has been for students after the AEGD? Is it really less competitive to get in OMS in the AF than ARMY? Or would your chances be just as good after an AEGD in the Army?

So it this what the acceptance rate has been for students after the AEGD? Is it really less competitive to get in OMS in the AF than ARMY? Or would your chances be just as good after an AEGD in the Army?[/QUOTE]
Someone in the Army would have to answer. Our acceptance rates have been pretty good as you can see.

So it this what the acceptance rate has been for students after the AEGD? Is it really less competitive to get in OMS in the AF than ARMY? Or would your chances be just as good after an AEGD in the Army?
Someone in the Army would have to answer. Our acceptance rates have been pretty good as you can see.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if those numbers above are for dental students or all slots. The Army numbers for both dental students and overall acceptance rates were posted earlier in the thread.

Someone in the Army would have to answer. Our acceptance rates have been pretty good as you can see.

I'm not sure if those numbers above are for dental students or all slots. The Army numbers for both dental students and overall acceptance rates were posted earlier in the thread.[/QUOTE]
all slots

Where do you guys get those numbers of acceptance rates anyway? Is there somewhere i can go to get that kind of information?

Unfortunately, those numbers are on a secure website that you can only access from a computer on the .mil network.

I believe that AF oral surgery will have the most favorable acceptance rates over the next 5 years than they have ever had. With all the retirees/separating, the amount of openings in both active duty locations (travis/lackland) plus the AFIT and deferrals should be wonderful. The thing that is different about AF acceptance is that they are accepting each September/October time frame for potentially the next two years. So if one year they have some great applicants they will accept slots for the following 2 years. That is why some years a lot more are accepted than others. Overall, the chance for training is very favorable in my opinion.

What information did you guys want from someone in the Army? Let me know and I can get it..

We were just trying to compare the acceptance rates of Air Force vs. Army Oral and Maxillofacial residencies. We have the Air Force numbers but not the specific numbers for Army yet to compare and decide which of the two branches will give a better chance and experience in OMS.

Last edited:
Hey,

I don't have the numbers for this year...but the newest ones...starting next year:

10 accepted, 5 straight out of school

7 not accepted, 4 straight out of school..

Hope that helps..

Hey,

I don't have the numbers for this year...but the newest ones...starting next year:

10 accepted, 5 straight out of school

7 not accepted, 4 straight out of school..

Hope that helps..

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted. I would bet that although chances look quite hopeful in both the army and AF that it's even better in the Army considering so many of them are coming right out of D-school, whereas in the AF they are doing AEGD's first. If you did an AEGD before applying to OS residency in the Army, I'm sure you're chances would at least as good or better to get in as in AF.

Thanks for getting the info for me.

Hey guys, its been a while. The AF is excepting a larger number than in previous years because simply we are getting thin. Travis and Lackland are still taking 2/3 respectively, but a good deal (3-4 applicants) are being accepted for AFIT spots. Let's clear some things up. To get accepted straight from D-school, you better be at the top of your class and be in the 90's on boards. Most of the rest of the residents completed an AEGD, finished at the top of their residency classes, had high 80's/90's on both sets of boards, GREs>1250, preformed well as officers, and had great letters of recommendation.

Those who go AFIT, need to meet the admission requirements of the civilian residency program. The AF is committed to accepting high quality applicants. Most applicants know that.

So it is not a cake walk to get in, but there is probably no better time to apply than now.

So it is not a cake walk to get in, but there is probably no better time to apply than now.

How about applying in 2 years :D? Do you thing chances will be just as good or is it too early to tell?

As was probably already mentioned somewhere, in the AF you are really actually applying two years out. When the board meets next month, the accepted applicants will not start until 2011.

As was probably already mentioned somewhere, in the AF you are really actually applying two years out. When the board meets next month, the accepted applicants will not start until 2011.

Well I am class of 2012. Does that mean I need to apply at the end of my D2 year (summer of 2010) if I want to begin right out of school?

Snozberries,

Are you a resident in an AF program or a civilian program? I submitted my application today to meet the earlier board this year, so I have my fingers crossed!

What is the AFIT thing?

Also, should an OMFS applicant expect to have to put in 80+ hours of hospital work every week at all military OMFS residency programs?
How much of the 4-yr program should you expect this kind of schedule? All four years?
Is it possible to do an OS residency while spending time with your family?
Do you have any choice in how much time or during what hours of the day you choose to work each day? (besides being on call)

Last edited:
What is the AFIT thing?

Also, should an OMFS applicant expect to have to put in 80+ hours of hospital work every week at all military OMFS residency programs?
How much of the 4-yr program should you expect this kind of schedule? All four years?
Is it possible to do an OS residency while spending time with your family?
Do you have any choice in how much time or during what hours of the day you choose to work each day? (besides being on call)

i don't know what AFIT is.

the answer to the next two questions is a resounding "YES!!!"

the next answer is, it's tough, but doable. it will take some effort and patience.

the answer to the last is, No.

I was wondering is it around 80 hours, or more like the 17 hrs/day someone stated that OS residents should expect?

Can someone that is in AF residency, or has completed one, answer this question? and maybe give us an example of what a typical week is like?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge, and for your service to our country.

I was wondering is it around 80 hours, or more like the 17 hrs/day someone stated that OS residents should expect?

Can someone that is in AF residency, or has completed one, answer this question? and maybe give us an example of what a typical week is like?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge, and for your service to our country.

How about I get back to you in a couple of weeks, ucla4lifer.....shouldn't you be studying for your finals?

AFIT stands for "Air force Institute of Technology". Long story short, in this context it means the AF will send you to a civilian residency program. These applicants apply for the AF OMS residency and are placed there by the powers that be. They then must interview at civilian programs and gain acceptance based on their standards.

Yes it is around 17.5 hrs/day, sometimes more, rarely less.

Time with your family, like any civilian oms residency is difficult to come by. Your wife needs to understand what you are getting into.

To my knowledge there is only ONE resident that started right out of school. most of us did an AEGD. The ones that got accepted during their D-4 year, had to spend around 10 months as a general dentist.

What other residency programs, if any, can applicants have a good chance of getting into right out of d-school in the Army? Or after an AEGD in the AF?

What other residency programs, if any, can applicants have a good chance of getting into right out of d-school in the Army? Or after an AEGD in the AF?

In the Army right out of school - 2 year AEGD, Prosth, Perio, OMFS.

Public Health and Pathology are easy to get into, but you can't apply out of school for them (they want to make sure you realize what you are getting into).

With an AEGD and time in you get the other ones - ortho, endo, pedo.

Thanks for that info.

Do they look more favorably upon AEGD's as opposed to GPR's when accepting you to a specialty program? Are there any advantages of a AEGD vs. GPR residency? All I've heard is that AEGD is a little more academic and GPR is more clinical...

Thanks for that info.

Do they look more favorably upon AEGD's as opposed to GPR's when accepting you to a specialty program? Are there any advantages of a AEGD vs. GPR residency? All I've heard is that AEGD is a little more academic and GPR is more clinical...

Army only has AEGD and it is very clinical.

Otherwise shouldn't matter. Selection boards are looking at what makes you stand out over other
Applicants - and either program does that.

Does anyone know about what kind of class ranking, board scores, you would need for a chance of getting into Prosth or Perio programs right out of D-School in the Army?

Does anyone know about what kind of class ranking, board scores, you would need for a chance of getting into Prosth or Perio programs right out of D-School in the Army?

May want to consider posting under a new thread as this has nothing to do with OMFS anymore. However, to answer your question.

Coming straight out of school to get picked up in Perio your scores will need to be pretty good. I have not sat on a specialty selection board, so I am just guessing with what you would need. I can tell you that the last 3 yrs they had 10,8,8 apply and 4 selected each year. I can also tell you that they had 5,1,1 dental students apply those same years and only the graduating senior last year got picked up. So if I had to guess, I would say that you would want at least a 3.4 GPA and mid 80's and above. However, that is not to say that if you apply for it the next year or 2 after graduating you would not get picked up. Remember, the longer you are out of school, the less GPA and board scores matter.

For Prosth everyone that applies has been accepted over the last 3 years - 100% pick up rate. That includes dental students as well as other dental officers. 4 slots available each year.

Hey everyone,
Just some info here for anyone interested.

I just got accepted into the Navy OMFS residency.
- Facts about me: Straight out of school
Board Scores below 90
Prior Navy experience
Class standing slightly above middle of my class
Lots of externships (4) and experience while in school
Rotated with a military OMFS facility during school

Also from what I have been told I owe 9 years when I graduate from Dental school from dental school payback and my collegiate payback. The In service residency payback will occur at the same time as my other payback. I have done HSCP during dental school which means I will be over 8 years when I graduate from residency.

Hope this helps, good luck to all those still applying. I was planning on applying to GPR if I didn't get in first round as that is supposed to help a lot.

Question to those OMS residents and OMS's in the Military.

What kind of stuff can you do as an OMS in the military? My goal is to become an OMS, and I'm especially interested in reconstructive and tumor surgery. I want to get into a residency spot where I'll have a lot of exposure to such procedures, and I'm trying to figure out if Military is the right path for me.

Even with the four year military OMS residency program (as opposed to the 6 year dual degree programs), do you do a lot of reconstructive, tumor, and trauma surgeries? Or are you just mostly limited to doing extractions and implants?