Military medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rescuerdave

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insite or experience with the scholarships offered by the military to pay for medical school. Is it really worth it? How is the training and experience post graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

You'd get the best answer on this question from someone who has completed a military residency. But, here's some quick information I can offer. Other than receiving a bimonthly paycheck, reimbursements for books and equipment, summer training and no debt, its pretty much the same med school experience that everyone else has.

As for post-grad residencies, its pretty much like any other residency, except you get payed a little more and you wear a uniform. The army has the most residency slots in the most specialities amongst the four services, but you can specialize in anything you want in any service.

The largest difference between military and civilian medical careers does not really begin until after residency. For a small taste of how things differ...well, just watch CNN, MSNBC or Fox News these days. Post-resident military doctors generally get payed less than their civilian counterparts, but they pay no malpractice insurance, and have no debt. Also, as practicing physicians, they receive additional pay according to their specialty, so they end up with a much larger salary than other officers of the same rank.

Here's what it boils down to: with a military scholarship, you'll relieve yourself of most of your financial burdens, and you're probably no more or less likely to enter your desired specialty than you would be in the civilian world. The residency training in the military is probably as good as, if not better, than any at a comparable civilian hospital. However, once you finish residency, realize that a military career involves frequent moves (sometimes to areas of the country that you might not like), and even more frequent deployments. If you want more information, call a service health care recruiter. Although in a sense they are "salesmen", if you ask them a straight question, they'll tell you the truth. Good luck.

Thanks, that definitely helps. I have heard that you don't always get to pick your specialty, is that true? How much do the docs (primary care) make in the military?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest checking this out. Copy and paste.

dueprocessfordoctors.tripod.com/semmelweissocietytv/id38.html

I don't know about the other services, the army does not force people into a specialty that they don't want.

For an idea on a military doctor's salary, go to the department of defence finance website. I'm not sure of the exact address, but just type "DFAS" into a search engine and you'll find it. There's a pdf file that lists the complete current breakdown on salary for everyone in the service. Physicians enter the service with a rank of O-3. Find the base rate for O-3 (captain in the army, airforce and marine corps, lieutenant in the navy). Add to that the "professional pay" rate (listed on another page) for the specialty you are interested in. There's also bonus pay for board certification. This will give you a rough estimate of the base salary. This does not include the Basic Allowance for Housing, which is a tax-free monthly payment that varies for rank, station and dependents status.

T.A.M and Rockhound 1 thanks for the info, it really helped.
I think I will not go the military route. It seems there are not enough pros and plenty of other more benficial loan repayment programs. It's about $70,000 a year salary plus extras for family practice during the four years in case anyone is interested. Also can you do the reserves and still get loan repayment?