Military Match - C/O 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So Navy released this am...anybody hear from AF yet? I haven't gotten anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, everybody. I'm glad some folks are fearing great news....

really bummed. applied for rads in the AF. got transitional year deferred. this may be a stupid question (and one i never thought i had to think about.) but do I HAVE to to a transitional year? or will a prelim-med year count? and what does this mean for me now.

I'm pretty much aware that applying for a AF PGY2 rads spot will be impossible now that I'm in the same pool as prior GMO's, majors, etc. So what's next? How do I apply to flight surgery or a GMO or whatever? really heartbreaking. put a lot into everything hoping for the best. always knew this was a possibility though, even when i was signing the dotted line so I'm not resentful or anything about it

really bummed. applied for rads in the AF. got transitional year deferred. this may be a stupid question (and one i never thought i had to think about.) but do I HAVE to to a transitional year? or will a prelim-med year count? and what does this mean for me now.

I'm pretty much aware that applying for a AF PGY2 rads spot will be impossible now that I'm in the same pool as prior GMO's, majors, etc. So what's next? How do I apply to flight surgery or a GMO or whatever? really heartbreaking. put a lot into everything hoping for the best. always knew this was a possibility though, even when i was signing the dotted line so I'm not resentful or anything about it

You can do a preliminary year in anything from medicine to surgery to pediatrics. The word transitional year means nothing.

You do not apply to become a flight surgeon or GMO. It occurs automatically if you do not have any additional GME training.

You can indeed apply again next year. I was in the same boat is you four years ago and applied again during my preliminary year and ended up matching into my specialty.

Any chance that presentation had board score means for all the different specialties?

You do not apply to become a flight surgeon or GMO. It occurs automatically if you do not have any additional GME training.

Just for clarity, in the Navy people do have to apply via the GME2+ selection board for a flight surgery (or dive) GMO spot. Those who don't apply or don't get selected still get to be GMOs, either with the fleet or the Marines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone in the Army trying to do the Rebuttal to change their location for their specialty???

unless it is a REALLY good reason, they tend to not change your location through the rebuttal process

Does the navy post something similar to the images for the army above? I was wondering since the match just happened if they released the rates of people not matching residencies/having to do a GMO per each residency.

You can do any internship that allows you to sit for Step III and qualify for an unrestricted medical license from the state of your choice.

Applying for a PGY2 spot as an intern is possible. I have seen plenty do it. I opted to do FS then pursue civilian residency.

If you don't match as an intern, then you either become a flight surgeon or a family practice GMO. You don't have to apply, just pass an initial flying class II physical. If you don't qualify, then you become a miserable clinic GMO.

You sound like me a long time ago. I'd like to tell you that this is the worst and it will get better... but......

Any Army SDN'ers out there that have submitted a rebuttal and have heard back?

The committee met last week and results were to be released "shortly thereafter" via email. I haven't heard anything back yet so I think my chances are slim of switching..

The committee met last week and results were to be released "shortly thereafter" via email. I haven't heard anything back yet so I think my chances are slim of switching..

Odds are Slim to none and Slim is at the airport on his way out of town.

Do you have any experience/knowledge of the the rebuttal process?

Navy....extensive. Army not so much, but the principles are the same.

After the selection process it becomes a Personnel issue. Programs have a number of positions they need to fill at the various locations. They make these decisions at the GMESB. To switch after the board, it generally means a 1 for 1 swap. Simply adding another intern/resident is not a viable option. Often times after the board release, I have found there are a number of individuals whose life/professional circumstances has changed and there is some flexibility to swap. To do this there must be agreement with both applicants and both program directors.

If there has been an aggregious error made, force adds can happen, but it has to be a really big mistake.

A friend (Army) heard back from the rebuttal board and was switched from deferment to TY like s(he) wanted.

In the spirit of civilian match day, does anyone know of the military match stats from the 2013 class...particularly Navy? Does anything like this exist? I am a 3rd year and getting anxious about the process next year!

Last edited:
I have seen this happen when an applicant is someone who has many years in service before going thru med school on HPSP. The prior years of service should count towards the final score....yet somehow they are not accounted for...then the applicant can only hope for appeal/rebuttal process.

I have seen this happen when an applicant is someone who has many years in service before going thru med school on HPSP. The prior years of service should count towards the final score....yet somehow they are not accounted for...then the applicant can only hope for appeal/rebuttal process.

You only get something like 1 point for non-medical related prior service if I recall correctly. 2 for medically related. Not sure that will make a ton of difference for most applicants.

You only get something like 1 point for non-medical related prior service if I recall correctly. 2 for medically related. Not sure that will make a ton of difference for most applicants.

But program directors get I think up to 4 points. A few that I have met have flat out said they don't like sending 40 year olds out to GMO land and not be able to complete their residency until in the mid to late 40s. I asked one to clarify and he said that many of the PDs he knows will max the points on an applicant with 10+ prior years (as long as they aren't a douche) to help them go through residency straight through. I'm sure this feeling is not universal and it probably ebbs and flows over the years.

Last edited:
But program directors get I think up to 4 points. I few that I have met have flat out said they don't like sending 40 year olds out to GMO land and not be able to complete their residency until in the mid to late 40s. I asked one to clarify and he said that many of the PDs he knows will max the points on an applicant with 10+ prior years (as long as they aren't a douche) to help them go through residency straight through. I'm sure this feeling is not universal and it probably ebbs and flows over the years.

That would be in the "potential for a military career" portion most likely. There aren't any areas for "program director" points on the score sheet; however it is my opinion that the get some input over one or two of the categories.

Remember the package is scored by a group of 3, one from each service which is supposed to impart some balance to the process.

Although my statements are based on publicly gained knowledge I'm still not convinced there isn't horse trading involved in some cases.

That would be in the "potential for a military career" portion most likely. There aren't any areas for "program director" points on the score sheet; however it is my opinion that the get some input over one or two of the categories.

Remember the package is scored by a group of 3, one from each service which is supposed to impart some balance to the process.

Although my statements are based on publicly gained knowledge I'm still not convinced there isn't horse trading involved in some cases.

Do they tell you your point total, and how it was calculated? If not, how do we even know that this point system exists, or exists in the form that we think it does? Is there anything written about it in official guidance?

It's not like there's a lot of points in play, though. For example the difference between the best and worst possible medical student (in terms of class rank and step scores) is only worth 3 points. I feel like 2 points could be a pretty significant difference, if you wanted to go straight through.

It's not like there's a lot of points in play, though. For example the difference between the best and worst possible medical student (in terms of class rank and step scores) is only worth 3 points. I feel like 2 points could be a pretty significant difference, if you wanted to go straight through.

I agree and that's why I feel if you can get 4 bonus points for research I think it's a big deal.

3 points times 3 reviewers = 9 points differential. The bonus points are only calculated after the composite scores from the 3 panel members are added together. At least that is how i read it...

(also note the bit about med student max research (aka not GMO) bonus points being 2.....granted this was AF directed and in 2008....)

Last edited:
Do they tell you your point total, and how it was calculated? If not, how do we even know that this point system exists, or exists in the form that we think it does? Is there anything written about it in official guidance?

You will never know your score. The scoring sheets are available online so you can get an idea of what is used. From memory:

0-2 points for the first 2 years of medical school
0-3 points for the second 2 years
0-5 points for "potential to become a career officer"
0-5 for internship (max 3 points for current interns)
0-5 for residency (only if applying for fellowship)
0-5 points for utilization tour
------
Add them up and multiply by 3

Bonus points:
1 for prior service
2 for prior medically related service
1-4 for publications

You'll see that a medical student with stellar grades will take a back seat to a mediocre GMO with publications. The good news is that you can manipulate the score for your own benefit. Get published---it doesn't matter where---and if you don't get selected in medical school, do well as an intern and get those 3 extra points.

You will never know your score. The scoring sheets are available online so you can get an idea of what is used. From memory:

0-2 points for the first 2 years of medical school
0-3 points for the second 2 years
0-5 points for "potential to become a career officer"
0-5 for internship (max 3 points for current interns)
0-5 for residency (only if applying for fellowship)
0-5 points for utilization tour
------
Add them up and multiply by 3

Bonus points:
1 for prior service
2 for prior medically related service
1-4 for publications

You'll see that a medical student with stellar grades will take a back seat to a mediocre GMO with publications. The good news is that you can manipulate the score for your own benefit. Get published---it doesn't matter where---and if you don't get selected in medical school, do well as an intern and get those 3 extra points.

Thanks , this is very helpful.

Who's militarygmesorce.org???? Credible reference?

Thanks , this is very helpful.

Who's militarygmesorce.org???? Credible reference?

It used to be on the AF GME page even though the forms were FOUO. Looks like thats not the case anymore. The residency total is up to 10 points with 7 being the max for current residents. Otherwise this is accurate.