This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future doccc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just creating a thread for Military HPSP applicants to post questions and their status in the application/commissioning process. Feel free to post and get this thread going!

Members don't see this ad.

Army DO M1 here. I know virtually nothing about anything medical or military, but I do know about the application process.

Reactions: 5 users
Army DO M1 here. I know virtually nothing about anything medical or military, but I do know about the application process.
Awesome! I’m an Air Force HPSP recipient now. My commission just went through and waiting on my fingerprints. How was the process for you? Did you get everything done in time for the start of your first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Us Army ms1 so ditto @YayPudding ; you’ll get everything back in time, I commissioned the day before school started, was paid the bonus in October and started receiving stipend sometime around then. The interim is pretty stressful though so hang in there.

Reactions: 1 users
Us Army ms1 so ditto @YayPudding ; you’ll get everything back in time, I commissioned the day before school started, was paid the bonus in October and started receiving stipend sometime around then. The interim is pretty stressful though so hang in there.
Thanks bud! Yeah my recruiter told me I’m way ahead of the game, so I’m pretty happy about that lol.

Awesome! I’m an Air Force HPSP recipient now. My commission just went through and waiting on my fingerprints. How was the process for you? Did you get everything done in time for the start of your first year?
I was commissioned about a month into school so there was some delay. No impact, though. My school is very military friendly and waited for the tuition payment from the Army.

Get used to hurry up and wait for certain things :)

Reactions: 1 user
I was commissioned about a month into school so there was some delay. No impact, though. My school is very military friendly and waited for the tuition payment from the Army.

Get used to hurry up and wait for certain things :)
Lol can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard about the “hurry up and wait” life style lol

Current applicant - psych. app deadline for psych was nov 21. board meets jan 9. should have answer by jan 21. This is what my recruiter tells me. Its my last year to apply for HPSP as I'm a third year so I am hoping to get it. A little worried because I was dx at MEPS for anemia but applied for a waiver so we will see... any psych applicants out there know how many applicants there were this year and how many 1 years to give out?

MrsPsy,

Army recruits 10 clin psy HPSP/year most are for the last two years of didactic.

Anyone heard anything about Jan. board decisions yet? :shrug:

Anyone heard anything about Jan. board decisions yet? :shrug:
Yeah I heard back on Friday. I was selected for army, now just waiting for scroll so I can commission. Can anyone comment on whether I will be able to attend DCC this summer?

Yeah I heard back on Friday. I was selected for army, now just waiting for scroll so I can commission. Can anyone comment on whether I will be able to attend DCC this summer?

The HPSP office is asking the Clinical Psychology Command if they will allow this to happen.

Congrats PB
I've sent my recruiter a couple of emails hoping to hear back either way soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on whether I will be able to attend DCC this summer?

According to LTC Engerran, you are permitted to attend DCC this summer. Your recruiter needs to get you scrolled and appointed before 15 April to ensure there is enough time to get orders to go.

Senior here, accepted into medical school back in October '17 and received HPSP in December, got commissioned 1st week of January. I've been lucky enough to have a great recruiter who has been on top of everything since day one but now with this whole DCC thing being implemented, he's at a loss and hasn't been much help. He says I should have received my orders over a month ago and he has never had a recipient have to wait for this long. Couple days ago he told me he had received word that students who had received the scholarship in the last cycle (started med school summer of 2017) had still not be put into the system and this was affecting those applying this year. My concern is I need to receive my orders in time to do DCC this summer before I start med school in August. I don't want to be stuck having to do DCC the summer after M1 and BOLC the summer after M2 and not have time to study for step1. Has anyone here heard anything from their recruiters about receiving/delay in receiving orders or about doing DCC the summer before start med school? Thank you in advance.

Anyone know when we will see the results from March boards? Potentially next week?

Can anyone tell me what medical diagnoses would exclude someone from receiving the scholarship?

Can anyone tell me what medical diagnoses would exclude someone from receiving the scholarship?

Agoogle-Osis is the leading cause.

But in reality the list is too long to even try to type. Look up medical accession standards for whatever Service.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Senior here, accepted into medical school back in October '17 and received HPSP in December, got commissioned 1st week of January. I've been lucky enough to have a great recruiter who has been on top of everything since day one but now with this whole DCC thing being implemented, he's at a loss and hasn't been much help. He says I should have received my orders over a month ago and he has never had a recipient have to wait for this long. Couple days ago he told me he had received word that students who had received the scholarship in the last cycle (started med school summer of 2017) had still not be put into the system and this was affecting those applying this year. My concern is I need to receive my orders in time to do DCC this summer before I start med school in August. I don't want to be stuck having to do DCC the summer after M1 and BOLC the summer after M2 and not have time to study for step1. Has anyone here heard anything from their recruiters about receiving/delay in receiving orders or about doing DCC the summer before start med school? Thank you in advance.
So I'm doing DCC this summer between my M1-M2 year and BOLC might have to wait since you get 2 month break on average between M2 and M3 and BOLC is 6 weeks the new norm is to do the extended BOLC 11 wks after graduating Medical school. What will occur is that you will report late to residency or FGYME but most directors are expecting this because of the addition of DCC. It used to be you go to BOLC and that's it. But regardless even with just DCC you are allowed to do ADTs but you have to get BOLC done before you go to residency. As far as DCC goes I called AMEDD directly had them place the ADT for me and about 2 hours later got an email confirmation. There is a priority system and because you haven't started school yet so you are dead last in line. All this info is available in MODS through the HPSP handbook chapter 4. My advice is definitely try to go to DCC this summer although it will be your last summer of freedom.

This list included "Orthopedic hardware, including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation and left in place..." lol literally got a plate and four screws placed on my wrist in August, yet I got through MEPS fine. Maybe they are a little more lenient on potential officers?
I think so, I have plates and screws in my jaw and had no problem at MEPS either.

I had plates and screws (omitting location). They gave me grief for it, and I had to have them removed to obtain the waiver. In retrospect that was an unnecessary procedure and really dumb.

Hey everybody, I was selected for the AFHPSP scholarship in February and now I’m waiting on my scroll to come back. Anhbody else in the same boat?

Hey everybody, I was selected for the AFHPSP scholarship in February and now I’m waiting on my scroll to come back. Anhbody else in the same boat?
I was in that same boat a few months back. Definitely the longest part of the whole process is waiting for that scroll.

I was in that same boat a few months back. Definitely the longest part of the whole process is waiting for that scroll.
Ok cool cool. About how long was the wait? Also, I’m in the Air Force (Air National guard) right now. So if you can think of any questions to ask about the Air Force in general, I’d love to answer them the best I can!

Ok cool cool. About how long was the wait? Also, I’m in the Air Force (Air National guard) right now. So if you can think of any questions to ask about the Air Force in general, I’d love to answer them the best I can!
Mine took around 3 months. But that’s awesome to know, and I’ll definitely hit you up if I have any question.

I am a veterinary HPSP applicant. My recruiter told me that my status is 'pending exceptions' at the end of February and now I'm waiting for scroll approval. My recruiter was optimistic but unsure whether this meant I was accepted. Anyone else have experience with a 'pending exceptions' status?

Does anyone know how much we get from the bonus and monthly stipend after taxes?

I’ve seen a couple of posts out there but the numbers keep changing and the most recent one was from 2016 so numbers might look different now.

2,229.30 for 10.5 months per scholarship year of $23,407.65 (taxable).
Base pay during annual 45-day HPSP Active Duty Tour of $4,458.60 (taxable).
Basic Allowance for Subsistence during 45-day HPSP Active Duty Tour of $380.70 (nontaxable)
Basic Allowance for Housing during 45-day Active Duty Tour of $1,081.80.
Total Gross Annual Income is: $29,328.75.

Not sure exactly what taxes apply. But I’ve heard just under $2000 per month.

Air Force scroll approved today! (Selected mid-February)

Are you apply for scholarship while in school? I am still debating about applying but I'm not sure if I'm too late for this upcoming cycle or not.

I have googled. Cannot seem to get a straight answer on what you owe them during med school. Does it differ between branches? That could be a deal-breaker for a particular branch. Looking between Navy & Air Force.

I have googled. Cannot seem to get a straight answer on what you owe them during med school. Does it differ between branches? That could be a deal-breaker for a particular branch. Looking between Navy & Air Force.

You owe officers training either before school or between year 1 and 2. Plus active duty tours during summers. Basically rotations at medical facilities.

Are you apply for scholarship while in school? I am still debating about applying but I'm not sure if I'm too late for this upcoming cycle or not.
If you’re talking about the 2018 school year, you’re way late. You should be applying now for the 2019 school year.

You owe officers training either before school or between year 1 and 2. Plus active duty tours during summers. Basically rotations at medical facilities.
Do you have to do basic before officer's training? Also, Do you have to even think about being military if you're not at officer's training that one summer or on the active duty tours? Basically I'm saying (assuming I can get it together before needed) can I get fat and grow a beard in school.

About how long does it take to get approved by MODS? Trying to see if I still have a shot at attending July DCC if my scroll is approved around June 10th (approximate 2 month mark after selection).

Edit: Selected for Army

Last edited:
Do you have to do basic before officer's training? Also, Do you have to even think about being military if you're not at officer's training that one summer or on the active duty tours? Basically I'm saying (assuming I can get it together before needed) can I get fat and grow a beard in school.

You don’t have to go through basic training. Basic training is for enlisted personnel only. You will, however, complete Commissioned Officer Training (COT). COT is a 5.5 week course at Maxwell AFB, Alabama. See the following link for more information about COT: Air University (AU) > Holm Center > OTS > Commissioned Officer Training
Be sure not to confuse COT with Officer Training School (OTS). As an HPSP recipient, you receive a direct commission. This means you are already an officer BEFORE attending COT.

As for during school, sure, you’re technically allowed to relax on the weight and grooming standards. But personally, I would advise against this. Take pride in your commission and carry yourself like a hand-picked, congressionally approved, military officer. Hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you want more information on the Air Force specifically.

About how long does it take to get approved by MODS? Trying to see if I still have a shot at attending July DCC if my scroll is approved around June 10th (approximate 2 month mark after selection).

Edit: Selected for Army

Are you doing hpsp for medicine? What board are you on? How long did it take you to hear back?

Sorry for slot of questions I’ve been waiting for the army to let me know about board results for awhile!

You don’t have to go through basic training. Basic training is for enlisted personnel only. You will, however, complete Commissioned Officer Training (COT). COT is a 5.5 week course at Maxwell AFB, Alabama. See the following link for more information about COT: Air University (AU) > Holm Center > OTS > Commissioned Officer Training
Be sure not to confuse COT with Officer Training School (OTS). As an HPSP recipient, you receive a direct commission. This means you are already an officer BEFORE attending COT.

As for during school, sure, you’re technically allowed to relax on the weight and grooming standards. But personally, I would advise against this. Take pride in your commission and carry yourself like a hand-picked, congressionally approved, military officer. Hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you want more information on the Air Force specifically.
Thanks for all that. I was just joking, I don't mean 'grooming' literally, just as a metaphor as to how much responsibility I have to them during the regular academic year. I think I did confuse it with COT, does that mean COT is required later as well?
Also, are there any fitness requirements for getting the HPSP scholarship in the first place? I'm not worried about passing if so but I don't want to have to deal with that.

Are you doing hpsp for medicine? What board are you on? How long did it take you to hear back?

Sorry for slot of questions I’ve been waiting for the army to let me know about board results for awhile!

I’ve been waiting for Navy boards forever.

Thanks for all that. I was just joking, I don't mean 'grooming' literally, just as a metaphor as to how much responsibility I have to them during the regular academic year. I think I did confuse it with COT, does that mean COT is required later as well?
Also, are there any fitness requirements for getting the HPSP scholarship in the first place? I'm not worried about passing if so but I don't want to have to deal with that.
You will do COT summer before first year. ALTHOUGH, If you were selected late for a four year scholarship or were selected for a three year scholarship, you will do COT between first and second year. In rare circumstances you will do COT after med school, but before intern year, often causing you to arrive a couple weeks late to intern year. Here are the height/weight requirements for the Air Force: Air Force Height and Weight Standards
Here are the physical standards for the Air Force: http://www.afpc.af.mil/Portals/70/documents/Home/AF Fitness Program/FITNESS CHARTS.pdf
I don’t know when you’ll have to take a physical fitness (PT) test or complete your weigh in. Maybe someone can shed some light on that for me? My process was a bit different as I’m currently serving.

And just to be clear, you will not go to OTS. You will only go to COT. OTS is for non-direct commission officer trainees only. Also, the reason your recruiter will try to get you on the list for COT before med school is so you will be eligible to complete Aerospace Medicine Primary Course (AMP101) between first and second year.

When were you boarded??
My application supposedly went to boards in January (maybe February) but my recruiter keeps asking for things like updated transcripts, statements,ect. I don’t think they sent my information up to the boards they keep trying to buff up my application something.

My application supposedly went to boards in January (maybe February) but my recruiter keeps asking for things like updated transcripts, statements,ect. I don’t think they sent my information up to the boards they keep trying to buff up my application something.

That’s frustrating! I’m sure it’ll work out!! I just heard back this morning that I was accepted for army hpsp 4 year scholarship. They just want my transcript that confirms I graduated for commission.

Reactions: 2 users
That’s frustrating! I’m sure it’ll work out!! I just heard back this morning that I was accepted for army hpsp 4 year scholarship. They just want my transcript that confirms I graduated for commission.
Board recommended or did you get your final select letter? Regardless, congrats!!