All Branch Topic (ABT) Military dentists, where do you put your pets when you're on deployment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Happy Tooth

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you have a 6month-1year deployment....where does beloved Fido go?

Does anyone here have personal experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

You make arrangements for your pets the same way you would if you were a single parent with kids. Have a plan ready to go when you come in. Usually a really good friend or a relative...if not it may be time to find fido a good home.

Say you have a 6month-1year deployment....where does beloved Fido go?

Does anyone here have personal experience with this?

You take Fido with you to Afghanistan of course...s/he meets the Afghan dogs and helps them just like the U.S. Army assists the Afghan Army. I jest :)

It turns out there are some pretty nice resources for military people with pets- there are volunteers who will foster your pet for up to 1 year if you're on Active Duty and will return him/her to you upon your return.

See this link: http://guardianangelsforsoldierspet.org/foster-home-program/deployments/

There is also a pretty nice write-up about how Guardian Angels for Soldiers Pets came to be. Seems like a great organization.
Of course, the ideal thing would be that you have a close friend watching your animal, as @krmower recommended. But if you don't that doesn't mean you have to give Fido up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just inappropriate sense of humor :) soldiers love their pets. Google "soldier returns home to dog" just have some tissue near by..

I'm pre-dental right now; going to apply for the HPSP with multiple branches.

Good luck!

Just inappropriate sense of humor :) soldiers love their pets. Google "soldier returns home to dog" just have some tissue near by..

I googled it and watched the first Youtube video- Thanks for sharing this :) Maybe you're not so steel-hearted after all. Can't say the same for the other guy who would give the dog away.