Midyear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anfhockey10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As midyear is right around the corner, I was wondering, and I'm sure a lot of others are too, what kind of questions did you ask during midyear or what kind of things did you want to know about the prospective residency program? I know there are information on the ashp website and some programs have some information on their own website but there's gotta be other information that you want to know to be able to differentiate between the programs you like and the ones you dont? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As midyear is right around the corner, I was wondering, and I'm sure a lot of others are too, what kind of questions did you ask during midyear or what kind of things did you want to know about the prospective residency program? I know there are information on the ashp website and some programs have some information on their own website but there's gotta be other information that you want to know to be able to differentiate between the programs you like and the ones you dont? Thanks

Pharmacy residency programs: how to find the one for you. Teeters Am J Health Syst Pharm.2004; 61: 2254.

Also...

How many residents are there? Are there PGY-2 residencies available at the site? Are off-site rotations offered? What made you choose this program? How do you like the city?

Would you consider it a teaching facility? Are there a lot of other students and residents from other disciplines around? Is there a college of pharmacy nearby? What are your precepting responsibilities? Do you have to lecture? Do you offer a teaching certificate program?

How much time do you spend with your preceptors on a daily/weekly basis? How often do you interact with your program director? If PGY-2 residents exist at a given program, how much interaction is there with the PGY-2 residents?

How is your administrative experience structured? Are projects and meetings spread out over the course of the year, or do you spend one month with the chief of pharmacy? Is drug information a block rotation spent in the drug info center, or do you just answer DIQs as they come throughout the year? Do you ever get pulled from residency responsibilities to cover staff shortages?

How are research projects and MUEs selected? Are there enough mentors to assist each resident with his or her project? Is there someone on staff who can help with statistics? Have PGY-1 residents been published in the past?

Do pharmacists respond to codes? Do you have to get BLS/ACLS certified? If not, does the option to get certified exist? Either way, who pays for this certification?

How have your interactions with other healthcare providers been? Are they used to having pharmacy residents on their services? Is the pharmacy structure and staff supportive of residents? Are many of the preceptors residency-trained? What are the specialty areas that your clinical pharmacists cover? What is the practice model in terms of decentralized pharmacists, CPOE, separation of staff and clinical, etc.?

Do you work weekends? How often? What are the hours? Are you compensated for weekend work with $$$ or paid time off? What happens if you have to switch weekends? Are you covering for a staff pharmacist, or are you considered extra help? What are your responsibilities, i.e. order entry vs. PKIN dosing of ATBs?

What supplies (computers, library/database access, PDAs, pens, etc.) are provided to the residents? Where are resident work stations located in relation to the pharmacy, rotation preceptors and hospital wards?

If you were to go through the process now, would you still choose this residency? What are the strengths and weaknesses of this program? Is there anything you wish you'd known before you started? Do you feel prepared for a PGY-2 residency, a fellowship, a job, whatever else you are interested in...? What do you plan to do next year?

Pick and choose from the above list and others. These are just things I remember asking or being asked... It's not an all-inclusive list, as what's important to you may not be important to the next person. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow...thank you for replying...didn't expect it to be this detailed!!! This will definitely help me and as well as others come midyear...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, thanks so much for posting that informative information, MustLoveDrugs! :)

No sweat guys. We've all been there, and it may seem overwhelming now but you'll feel like a pro after Midyear. Definitely check out that AJHP article I cited... It offers a nice, consice summary.

I would just encourage you to ask the same types of questions each time you encounter a program at Midyera. I made the mistake of asking different questions at different sites, which makes it tough to compare in the end. I also put together a binder of all the programs I was interviewing with at PPS or visiting at Midyear, so I had something to keep me focused. As I went through and made notes at the end of each day, I was able to eliminate residencies and throw out the information in my binder that pertained to those programs.

Ask your friends what they're asking, too. That's how I first learned about ACLS and the possibility of being pulled to staff... By the way, the latter is not a good thing.

No sweat guys. We've all been there, and it may seem overwhelming now but you'll feel like a pro after Midyear. Definitely check out that AJHP article I cited... It offers a nice, consice summary.

I would just encourage you to ask the same types of questions each time you encounter a program at Midyera. I made the mistake of asking different questions at different sites, which makes it tough to compare in the end. I also put together a binder of all the programs I was interviewing with at PPS or visiting at Midyear, so I had something to keep me focused. As I went through and made notes at the end of each day, I was able to eliminate residencies and throw out the information in my binder that pertained to those programs.

Ask your friends what they're asking, too. That's how I first learned about ACLS and the possibility of being pulled to staff... By the way, the latter is not a good thing.

thank you MustLoveDrugs:)