midyear dilema...your thoughts please:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My wife is due with our first child the day after the residency showcase ends. I really want to go to MidYear but don't want to miss the birth of our child or being around to help her during those critical days. I'd been leaning towards flying to Vegas with a flexible travel ticket allowing me to return early if needed but am now starting to doubt my plan. If I don't go to Midyear but rather just get to know all the programs really well over the next few months through e-mail and phone contact would I still be at a disadvantage compared to those who've gone to Midyear? I know this is a unique personal situation but please offer your thoughts. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

My wife is due with our first child the day after the residency showcase ends. I really want to go to MidYear but don't want to miss the birth of our child or being around to help her during those critical days. I'd been leaning towards flying to Vegas with a flexible travel ticket allowing me to return early if needed but am now starting to doubt my plan. If I don't go to Midyear but rather just get to know all the programs really well over the next few months through e-mail and phone contact would I still be at a disadvantage compared to those who've gone to Midyear? I know this is a unique personal situation but please offer your thoughts. Thank you.

I don't think that even not going to Midyear would put you at a disadvantage. Like KARM12 has said, some programs may be so inundated that your conversation with a single resident might not be remembered. I found last year that some programs didn't have their applications online, but you can easily e-mail directors and get those.

I think in the long run you would be upset if you missed the birth of your child.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your thoughts guys:) I really appreciate it!

Be there for the birth. No questions asked. Even if she doesn't deliver during Midyear, you don't want to take chances with something like that. Being at Midyear isn't going to make or break you, especially with a memorable excuse like yours.

Just email to the programs.
Going to midyear doesn't help. It's so busy at showcase that you can't even have a real conversation with the residents.

Last edited: