Midwestern University Glendale PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrobinsonxc

Reaction score
I'm applying to Midwestern University's pharmacy program in Glendale, AZ once the application opens in July. If I get accepted, I'll start in 2020. I have a lot of experience shadowing and volunteering in pharmacies, and my GPA is great. I've also completed a bachelor's degree. I'm wondering if my PCAT score (especially chem and bio) is too low to get an interview and be accepted, or if the other elements of my application will balance it out? My composite score was 37. Bio 19; CR 59; QR 67; Chem 17. Thank you for any insights, especially from current MWU students!

Members don't see this ad.

Per their website, they only prefer you take a PCAT and prefer a 2.5 GPA. Not hard requirements. This means they will literally take anybody with a pulse and willing to loan out anything north of $200,000. If you don't believe me this is what will happen: You apply. You will hear back within 5 days for an interview. You schedule your interview. After your interview, you will be notified of your acceptance where they will ask for $1000 to save your seat within 3 days of your interview.

A friend of mine sat in on interviews last year at MWU and they asked an applicant why they wanted to go into pharmacy. The answer? "My neighbor told me its a good career". The applicant had a 2.6 gpa and terrible PCAT. My point in bringing this up is they will literally accept anyone and speaks volumes to the kind of diploma mill MWU has become.

Moving to PCAT forum:

As for your concern, what is your cGPA and sGPA?

How the grading scale works for PCAT scores is that you are compared to a sample of test takers over a 5 year span. Based on how you do is computed in a percentage (ie overall score). So, out of roughly 64,000 sample size of people that took the PCAT over a 5 year span, you scored worse than 63% of individuals....That's not good

Despite a terrible score, it is true that you may still get in based on minimal GPA and "shadowing" (truth be told no reason for you to shadow unless its a specialty field such as cardiology, oncology, psychiatric dept, etc...You should be working as a tech in a retail setting). This should be seen as a red flag if you still get an interview as many programs run the institute as a priority business plan as long as they get paid vs program ranking and job placements they put out. For you own benefit, you need to understand why is it of all the categories your BIO and Chem portion are the lowest outliers...Pharmacy school may be easier to get into for most, but the schooling is not easy....You need to figure out why you did so poorly as this can easily reflect how well you will do in the program.

Reactions: 1 user