Midwestern University CCP Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docss26

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked my portal today and found out I was accepted, so I thought I'd start a class thread to find out who else has been accepted and maybe we can all get to know each other before Fall 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats...I loved my time at MWU...great school, great teachers, great rotation sites.

Congrats...I loved my time at MWU...great school, great teachers, great rotation sites.

How is the job outlook for pharmacists in the Chicagoland area. I hear its prett saturated and chains like Walgreens are cutting down Pharmacy positions in the area. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i'm pretty committed to going to this school

How is the job outlook for pharmacists in the Chicagoland area. I hear its prett saturated and chains like Walgreens are cutting down Pharmacy positions in the area. Is this true?

Walgreens, CVS, etc are not cutting down the number of pharmacy positions in the area. They just don't need any more people. They have a satisfactory number of staff. Only one chain has actively cut hours and that is Target. Walgreens only hired students who worked for them and took their money. I know someone who had their contract rescinded after signing because she did not take the money. Osco for 2010 is uncertain on whether they will be able to hire all of their P-4 interns.
I personally decided it was easier to head to Milwaukee than deal with the Chicago market. I know of a number of people who went to Rockford, Kenosha, and NW IN.

Im from the Chicagoland area, so if people from another state are committing to MWU CCP I would be down to figure out living arrangements.

Hey, if anyone is on facebook, I made a group with the same title as this thread. I figured it would be appropriate for students trying to find roommates, network, etc. More people are on facebook than SDN, so spread the word if you know anyone who is committing to this school. Ciao.

I'm probably going to go with the dorms as it's the easiest & also I hate commuting to class. I like to drive as little as possible!

What's the average rent around the Chicago area though?

I'm probably going to go with the dorms as it's the easiest & also I hate commuting to class. I like to drive as little as possible!

What's the average rent around the Chicago area though?

It really depends on location and type of apartment. I believe the county Midwestern is in, is one of the most expensive counties in IL.

My dad is a realtor so Ill be looking for either a house or condo in the general vicinity.

Members don't see this ad :)
For current students, do you know anything about the program AOP? I read something about the top 50 students can apply and compete for an accelerated spot after the first year at CCP. Thanks in advance!

For current students, do you know anything about the program AOP? I read something about the top 50 students can apply and compete for an accelerated spot after the first year at CCP. Thanks in advance!

I think you mean AGO (accelerated graduation option). They got rid of this program because of the new IPPE hours required for graduation.

I think you mean AGO (accelerated graduation option). They got rid of this program because of the new IPPE hours required for graduation.

AGO, yup. Thanks for your answer. Also, do you happen to know if you can enroll in a dual degree program (ex. Pharm.D and MBA)?

that is right. Some walgreens' district can't hire all the scholarship students. I heard that Osco is tough too. Some of my friends got hired by Osco, but with only 32hr/wk.

Walgreens, CVS, etc are not cutting down the number of pharmacy positions in the area. They just don't need any more people. They have a satisfactory number of staff. Only one chain has actively cut hours and that is Target. Walgreens only hired students who worked for them and took their money. I know someone who had their contract rescinded after signing because she did not take the money. Osco for 2010 is uncertain on whether they will be able to hire all of their P-4 interns.
I personally decided it was easier to head to Milwaukee than deal with the Chicago market. I know of a number of people who went to Rockford, Kenosha, and NW IN.

Any know how full the class is yet?? I am still crossing my fingers for CCP!!

Karm12 when did you graduate? Just curious, I was batch '09 but graduated Sept '08, 2nd to last AGO class.

Hey, I applied for this as well but was denied since they have so many better applicants. You guys are lucky.

Im sorry to hear that. Best of luck next year. Work on your application. Hopefully you will be more competitive next year.
It's ok. I got in at Oklahoma and an open slot in Michigan. (which I kind of doubt I will get it)
Unfortunately, I failed two classes this semester. The oddity. Sigh.

I am interested in a dual degree program, but I don't think MWU offers it.

MWU unfortunately does not offer a dual degree program with the PharmD at the moment. I'm not sure if that is something they are looking into for future students because I know UIC offers a dual PharmD/PhD 6-year program or something of that sort.

MWU unfortunately does not offer a dual degree program with the PharmD at the moment. I'm not sure if that is something they are looking into for future students because I know UIC offers a dual PharmD/PhD 6-year program or something of that sort.

I am interested in it, but I don't know enough about the benefits to having the MBA nor do I really know what types of jobs I could obtain. My dream is to own an already established independent pharmacy.

I got an interview to Midwestern CCP!! I am soooo excited! :D It is Jan 6, anyone have any hints to the interview. I looked at the Interview thread and there was not that much help! I hope I am accepted!!!!

Tiffany

I got an interview to Midwestern CCP!! I am soooo excited! :D It is Jan 6, anyone have any hints to the interview. I looked at the Interview thread and there was not that much help! I hope I am accepted!!!!

Tiffany

Hey tiff, congrats on your interview! Be prepared for a group style interview. I had never done anything like that before, so I was a bit nervous. It helped to socialize with the interviewees prior to the interview. I ended up meeting everyone and getting to know them a little. When I interviewed I had been put into a group of guys I had previously gotten comfortable with so I was able to keep my composure and answer appropriately and be as comfortable as possible.

Interview feedback helped me out a lot too. I made a list of all the questions and wrote my responses down next to them, trying not to memorize to eliminate the possibility of it sounding rehearsed. Good luck to you!

Hey they said the interview is going to be "closed file"... that means..... ????

Interview is Wednesday and I am rehearsing to not sound "rehearsed" lol.... I think I just need to calm it down :thumbup: Oh and how many interviewee were there the interviewing the same time as you (besides people in a group?)

Thanks! Oh and I am on Facebook you can find me (just search TiffanyTiffany <--- User ID).

:D

Hey tiff, congrats on your interview! Be prepared for a group style interview. I had never done anything like that before, so I was a bit nervous. It helped to socialize with the interviewees prior to the interview. I ended up meeting everyone and getting to know them a little. When I interviewed I had been put into a group of guys I had previously gotten comfortable with so I was able to keep my composure and answer appropriately and be as comfortable as possible.

Interview feedback helped me out a lot too. I made a list of all the questions and wrote my responses down next to them, trying not to memorize to eliminate the possibility of it sounding rehearsed. Good luck to you!

Hey they said the interview is going to be "closed file"... that means..... ????

Interview is Wednesday and I am rehearsing to not sound "rehearsed" lol.... I think I just need to calm it down :thumbup: Oh and how many interviewee were there the interviewing the same time as you (besides people in a group?)

Thanks! Oh and I am on Facebook you can find me (just search TiffanyTiffany <--- User ID).

:D

Closed file means during the interview they do not know a thing about you except for what you tell them =).

During my interview there were 3 groups of about 5-6 people, so about 18 interviewees. Best of luck to you tiff!

Im debating. Itll be a lot cheaper to have an apartment. Just need roommates.

I concur :p I am looking to live in an apartment and need roommates as well. Are you still looking to go to Midwestern and looking for roommates?

I concur :p I am looking to live in an apartment and need roommates as well. Are you still looking to go to Midwestern and looking for roommates?

Yeah, I'm committed to MWU. I think I am going to dorm my first year to get acclimated and meet people. After that I think I will be ready to look for an apartment.

Yeah, I'm committed to MWU. I think I am going to dorm my first year to get acclimated and meet people. After that I think I will be ready to look for an apartment.

Is anyone else committing to Midwestern CCP and looking to live in the apartments? :)

Last edited:
committed to mwu! coming from CA and applied to the campus apts this week...

I'm committed to MWU! I applied for student housing. Being Asian I have a tendency of getting lost easily ;) plus I remember that being closer to school makes it slightly less likely that I will roll back over under the covers on cold snowy mornings when I lived in Colorado haha. I will probably look for a place after the first year once I get to know the area.

Can't wait to meet everyone. The FB group has a lot of people in SoCal! Maybe we should all get together and wonder how to acclimate to Chicago weather. I lost my Colorado skin. Sad.

Last edited:
I'm committed to MWU! I applied for student housing. Being Asian I have a tendency of getting lost easily ;) plus I remember that being closer to school makes it slightly less likely that I will roll back over under the covers on cold snowy mornings when I lived in Colorado haha. I will probably look for a place after the first year once I get to know the area.

Can't wait to meet everyone. The FB group has a lot of people in SoCal! Maybe we should all get together and wonder how to acclimate to Chicago weather. I lost my Colorado skin. Sad.

Living on campus your first year will definitely make things a lot easier. For all you out of towners it will be good to meet people like ME who live in Chicago. I'll be your official tour guide. hahahha

Does anybody know when the last interviews are? I received an interview offer ( :) !!! ), but those dates don't really work out for me. In the interview portal, it says:

"If you are unable to attend any of the following dates, you will be notified when further dates are made available."

Does this mean that I just wait until new dates appear or do I need to let them know that I need to schedule on a different date?

How long did it take them to send you the interview invite after submitting your applications?

I sent mine at the end of January and stilll have not heard anything from them, so I am getting a bit antsy.

Does anybody know when the last interviews are? I received an interview offer ( :) !!! ), but those dates don't really work out for me. In the interview portal, it says:

"If you are unable to attend any of the following dates, you will be notified when further dates are made available."

Does this mean that I just wait until new dates appear or do I need to let them know that I need to schedule on a different date?

I would call to ask, as I'm not entirely sure. I think they interview until March, but I would go as early as possible for a better chance at a spot!

Lol I know. It seems to me that so far the majority accepted are from Cali. I used to live in Ohio though, so for me the weather won't take much getting used to even though I've been in socal for the last five years. :)

For those of you interested in dorming, I had a housing tour today. It was a pretty crappy tour because she was only able to show me the Birch wing (traditional dorms), Redwood 1 and 2.

Redwood 2 are the newer looking dorms. They were the best out of the 3 I saw and the price difference is minimal. Each one she showed me is a private room with a shared bathroom. The bathroom doors can be locked so your neighbor doesn't have access to your room whenever he/she pleases lol. Redwood dorms are all wi-fi enabled and have a study lounge on each floor. There is also a community kitchen with a stove, microwave and large fridge. The fridge is free for everyone on the floor to use and everything in there was labeled with peoples names.I'm not gonna both talking about the traditional dorms because I think theyre crappy.

Ill also mention they have a lot of special housing options for those that like their privacy. The more expensive living arrangements are on the first floor and they mainly consist of larger living space, private kitchen/bath etc.

Lol I know. It seems to me that so far the majority accepted are from Cali. I used to live in Ohio though, so for me the weather won't take much getting used to even though I've been in socal for the last five years. :)

I lived in Colorado for 4 years and I've been back for 2. I don't think it'll take much getting used to, but I'm visiting CO in a few weeks and my friends are teasing me about freezing when I get out here since it's been in the 70s most of this week. haha.

I lived in Colorado for 4 years and I've been back for 2. I don't think it'll take much getting used to, but I'm visiting CO in a few weeks and my friends are teasing me about freezing when I get out here since it's been in the 70s most of this week. haha.

No worries, you'll get used to it again soon enough. :thumbup:

Got my acceptance letter today! Hope to see y'all around Redwood 1 or 2!

Hey congratulations on your acceptance guys? All that hardwork finally paid off. Good job! Although I had a question about interview if you guys dont mind. How's the interview process at mwu? Mine is coming up and looking forward to it. I know this is not the interview thread. I was investiagating thoroughly but got nothing. So if you guys can give me some tips I might be able to join you guys as we begin our journey.

Thanks

Anyone interview at CCP on 2/17 and heard anything at all back?