Midwestern - Post Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's it. I'm going to sit on the offer just to spite you. :D

Actually, I'm still waiting for the acceptance package. I read through the matriculation agreement and all the other stuff online, but I'd like to take a look at the mailing before I officially decline the offer. I'm not 100% decided, but I'm just about there. They made it a little tougher by ruling in my favor on an appeal to substitute for the 2-credit differential in my english comp requirement. Honestly, I'd be proud to go to either school. That's why I've been so deliberate in making a choice.

I'll finalize my decision as soon as Midwestern sends me the package. For now, I wait.

Dude go to Tufts... I need the spot at Midwestern :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have 3 good buddies and about 10 sdn'ers i'd like to see get in sooooo, enjoy boston and don't forget to officially decline the offer! haha but for real, congrats and enjoy.

:xf::rolleyes::D:cool::smuggrin::hardy:

hey all you sdn'ers! another update post.
there hasn't been much movement, still 81 deposits. the adcoms haven't met for the back end of the feb interviews and we're currently on spring break (woohoo!) so i imagine that they wont meet until march 15 or so and start hashing out who they wanna accept and start making phone calls. complicating the whole timeline is Dr. Simonsen has had some serious family medical emergencies which obviously takes precedence over work/ school biz. please take that into consideration while you're sitting at home crazy frustrated wondering when you'll get your phone call.

more news...heather kim just took a new job at southwestern college in phoenix to advance in her career so congrats to her! she will be missed for sure as she was definately applicant friendly and a class act altogether. but since she is gone i'm not sure who her replacement is yet so gimme a bit to find a good contact for you in the admissions office. i figure i wanna find someone who is applicant friendly, high enough on the scale to help you out but low enough on the scale to not worry about annoying. haha it might take me a bit 'cause we're of for a week but it will be high on my priority list for sure.
keep your heads up guys!

hey all you sdn'ers! another update post.
there hasn't been much movement, still 81 deposits. the adcoms haven't met for the back end of the feb interviews and we're currently on spring break (woohoo!) so i imagine that they wont meet until march 15 or so and start hashing out who they wanna accept and start making phone calls. complicating the whole timeline is Dr. Simonsen has had some serious family medical emergencies which obviously takes precedence over work/ school biz. please take that into consideration while you're sitting at home crazy frustrated wondering when you'll get your phone call.

more news...heather kim just took a new job at southwestern college in phoenix to advance in her career so congrats to her! she will be missed for sure as she was definately applicant friendly and a class act altogether. but since she is gone i'm not sure who her replacement is yet so gimme a bit to find a good contact for you in the admissions office. i figure i wanna find someone who is applicant friendly, high enough on the scale to help you out but low enough on the scale to not worry about annoying. haha it might take me a bit 'cause we're of for a week but it will be high on my priority list for sure.
keep your heads up guys!

Man J, you're just all over Midwestern posts, haha. It's a good thing, don't get me wrong. Your SDSU Pre-dental members are pretty excited that you're coming in on Monday!!! See you there!~!

So glad for the update, that is sad to hear about Dean Simonsen's family. I guess we will all have to wait for another couple of weeks.

Does anybody know when the last 4 interview dates are suppose to be for Midwestern?

Hey Oracle so do you think it kind of looks like they are going to try to finish up the class list by end of march ish? I know it depends on the dean's family situation, just wondering what your take on the time line was.

Hey everyone,
I interviewed on the 18th and I just got an offer yesterday. Wonderful new! Good luck guys.

Man J, you're just all over Midwestern posts, haha. It's a good thing, don't get me wrong. Your SDSU Pre-dental members are pretty excited that you're coming in on Monday!!! See you there!~!

i can't wait fool! haha and good job changing that avater to something other than a girly toy poodle!

Hey Oracle so do you think it kind of looks like they are going to try to finish up the class list by end of march ish? I know it depends on the dean's family situation, just wondering what your take on the time line was.

i think that's a safe bet. i also expect some movement through the summer but ya for the most part we should be hemmed up by the end of march not withstanding a +-5 seats that will flutter a bit periodically with movement.

If you want you could put in a good word for me, I'm the hick from Alaska. :laugh: Thanks by the way for taking the time to keep us all updated, we all appreciate it.

If you want you could put in a good word for me, I'm the hick from Alaska. :laugh: Thanks by the way for taking the time to keep us all updated, we all appreciate it.

Swell... does it cost a fortune to fly to and from Alaska?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, or at least a decent size chunk of your soul - I'm flying to nevada next week and its about 1300 bucks. Turns out, not a ton of traffic to and from Alaska.

Hey everyone,
I interviewed on the 18th and I just got an offer yesterday. Wonderful new! Good luck guys.

If you were in the last interview group and the adcoms had not met yet since Dean Simonsen has been incognito, how did you get an offer? Was it Dr. Simonsen that called you on a Thursday afternoon? Sorry I'm just curious.

If you were in the last interview group and the adcoms had not met yet since Dean Simonsen has been incognito, how did you get an offer? Was it Dr. Simonsen that called you on a Thursday afternoon? Sorry I'm just curious.

I got the call from Dr. Polk that morning. I didn't know about Dean Simonsen and I really do hope him the best. Dr. Polk told me that the dean would be signing the papers soon. Does that help answer your question?

I got the call from Dr. Polk that morning. I didn't know about Dean Simonsen and I really do hope him the best. Dr. Polk told me that the dean would be signing the papers soon. Does that help answer your question?

sounds like you made a great impression w/ dr. polk and he wanted to pull the trigger on your file! congrats! i know that the adcom didn't meet to go over all of the waitlist and pending interviews so i imagine that a few interview favs got a little fast forward.
are you going to come to MWU for sure frenchpen? if so awesome! and we'll catch you in the fall!

sounds like you made a great impression w/ dr. polk and he wanted to pull the trigger on your file! congrats! i know that the adcom didn't meet to go over all of the waitlist and pending interviews so i imagine that a few interview favs got a little fast forward.
are you going to come to MWU for sure frenchpen? if so awesome! and we'll catch you in the fall!

Thanks OracleDMD. That's the plan, I'm getting my moola ready to make the deposit!

yall are so lucky, i'm waiting diligently to get an answer from them. I interviewed back in November so I don't know if my chances are good. Sigh, this process makes me depress...

Oracle I know I dont know anything about where you applied and all that since it seems you dont have a predents.

How come you choose midwestern in the first place?

Does anybody know where we are as far as deposits and number of candidates on the waitlist as of this week?

Oracle I know I dont know anything about where you applied and all that since it seems you dont have a predents.

How come you choose midwestern in the first place?

hey! check out the full story on the post "what it takes to get into dental school" it was my first post on SDN on how i got to be here.

Does anybody know where we are as far as deposits and number of candidates on the waitlist as of this week?

sorry fool it spring break so back in san diego livin it up! haha i'll get back at it on monday!

hey! check out the full story on the post "what it takes to get into dental school" it was my first post on SDN on how i got to be here.

sorry fool it spring break so back in san diego livin it up! haha i'll get back at it on monday!

I wish I was in San Diego living it up. I am ready for some warm weather brother!

I interviewed February 4th and I just called today (March 6th) to find out that I'm waitlisted. I was waitlisted last year too, and we all know how that worked out for me haha. I'm out of school now and owe buttloads of money in student loans and I have no idea how I'm going to get in to DS. I have already retaken the DAT and brought up my scores from 17s to 19s but I don't know if I'm up for it again. Maybe I should start a new thread for this? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,
How soon after you got the call were you able to pay your deposit online. Midwestern online doesnt show me as an accepted student yet... getting a little anxious!

Hey guys,
How soon after you got the call were you able to pay your deposit online. Midwestern online doesnt show me as an accepted student yet... getting a little anxious!

Congrats, when did you interview and receive the call?

So 100 of 110 seats are filled, I just talked to admissions. They told me that we likely won't hear much as alternates until next month. They still have to wrap up interviews and wait for responses for invitations. However it's not all gloom and doom.

I was also told that last year they took over half off the alternate list (last year they had a huge alternate list too- sorry forgot to ask how many are alternates my guess around 200), and that it is possible that it may happen again this year as a number of those accepted get into their state school ect. So good luck to all out there that are in the same boat as me and waiting for that golden ticket.:xf:

So 100 of 110 seats are filled, I just talked to admissions. They told me that we likely won't hear much as alternates until next month. They still have to wrap up interviews and wait for responses for invitations. However it's not all gloom and doom.

I was also told that last year they took over half off the alternate list (last year they had a huge alternate list too- sorry forgot to ask how many are alternates my guess around 200), and that it is possible that it may happen again this year as a number of those accepted get into their state school ect. So good luck to all out there that are in the same boat as me and waiting for that golden ticket.:xf:

when i spoke to admissions today, this was the same type of #s i got from them, including 180 alternates. we'll have to see how the spring plays out for those with deposits in...hopefully there will be enough movement to get more of our alternates a call up to the bigs! i'm pullin for you guys!

when i spoke to admissions today, this was the same type of #s i got from them, including 180 alternates. we'll have to see how the spring plays out for those with deposits in...hopefully there will be enough movement to get more of our alternates a call up to the bigs! i'm pullin for you guys!

Thanks Oracle,

I am looking forward to a game of pong. You have to take it easy on the old man though. My reflexes are not as good as they used to be!

For the interview, where is the office of admission?

Is that located in barrael student center 1 or 2 or 3?

or university administration??

Back left part of campus if you are at the entrance. It is the admissions building for all the programs there I believe.

I thought that they were only planning on having about 100 on the waitlist.... bummer. I don't know, it is kind of hard for me to see them blowing through that much on the waitlist (80-90), seemed like a great school to me. Guess we will just have to see.

remember that deposits do NOT equal matriculation! people hold spots w/ deposits and may be waitlisted at other schools so if they get off the waitlist this spring/ summer they will just lose the deposit but get into their state school. keep hope alive!

I can't imagine that there is going to be a lot of movement. I know several people who interviewed at midwestern, and not one of them were dissapointed. Everyone of them that received acceptance is planning on attending. So there are 10 spots left and 2 more weeks of interviews? Hopefully there are some spots left for us!

I thought 3/11 interview is the last one.
Are there more interviews next week?

03-08-2009, 11:01 PM #24 pillpusher2013

icon1.gif

hey everyone!
i just got an interview with midwestern for 16th...any1 who has already had an interview could you please tell me what kind of questions they ask?? or what the essay was about?? ok thanx

Yes, but last year was Midwestern's inaugural year for their dental school, and this year the word is out that Midwestern is a pretty good school. So, I would not expect that they will be taking over half the candidates off of their alternate list this year. You never know how things will play out though. I am keeping the hope alive.

What is Dr. Polk's first name? I thought it was Howard. I'm at work, so don't have my interview packet. Can anyone help me out?

You got it right. :thumbup: By the way, have you gotten any good news yet?

Unfortunately, no...Still waiting as patiently as I can. Trying to not lose hope. But, the last few posts about there being 180 people on the waitlist and the possibility of them not pulling as many from here as they did last year is getting the best of me. I thought there were only 100 on the waitlist or so??

Unfortunately, no...Still waiting as patiently as I can. Trying to not lose hope. But, the last few posts about there being 180 people on the waitlist and the possibility of them not pulling as many from here as they did last year is getting the best of me. I thought there were only 100 on the waitlist or so??

AZ dent where do you go to school?

03-08-2009, 11:01 PM #24 pillpusher2013

icon1.gif

hey everyone!
i just got an interview with midwestern for 16th...any1 who has already had an interview could you please tell me what kind of questions they ask?? or what the essay was about?? ok thanx

MW is sitll conducting interviews?? Wow...

austinsanity congrats! any specific reason you chose MWU over tufts? what factor won the batttle? i wanna gloat about it to some friends in boston. haha see you in the fall!

You got it right. :thumbup: By the way, have you gotten any good news yet?

As a matter of fact, I just received the call today from Dr. Polk!!! I'm in! SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!! I guess we'll be seeing you this fall! WOOHOO! :D

As a matter of fact, I just received the call today from Dr. Polk!!! I'm in! SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!! I guess we'll be seeing you this fall! WOOHOO! :D

AZdent, Congrats! I am so happy for you! See you this Fall:D

AZdent, Congrats! I am so happy for you! See you this Fall:D

Thanks Safaroin! And, thanks to Oracle and all the other supportive SDNers who kept us in the loop. Other waitlisters: Keep your head up! They're making their way down that waitlist now!!

Congratz AZDent on the acceptance. when did you find out you was wait listed AZDent? I thought they had 2 more days of interviewing this week? Are they offering acceptance to people off the wait list now?