Midwestern (AZCOPT) or Chicago (ICO)??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healer_

Reaction score
Hi! I'm applying to both schools and I'm having trouble picking which school would be better for me. I thought I would go to ICO because a lot of the people I know went to or are going to ICO but when I visited Midwestern, I really liked their facility and the atmosphere there.

ICO
Adv: great clinical program, has a lot of Canadian students
Dis: in a sketchy area,

AZOPT:
Adv: great facility, new technologies, atmosphere was great and I like the professional feel
Dis: it's still considered pretty new and there's not a lot of information about them aside what's on the website

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I go to Midwestern Chicago and absolutely love it. I didn't really like the area or the facilities at ICO and while that may not matter for some, it made a difference for me. MWU is a beautiful campus and has a very homey feel to it with a supportive staff and faculty. However, ICO is known to be a prestigious established university. It is very rigorous and does have somewhat of a competitive spirit.
At the end of the day, you will become an OD and how hard you work will dictate how good of a doctor you become, not the school. Now it just comes down to personal choices and preferences.

As an ICO student to me the clinical preparation and reputation of the curriculum were way more valuable to me then the facilities itself. I can definitely say there isn't a “competitive spirt” and everyone in the program genuinely wants to be there and is passionate about what they are doing not looking to compete with their classmates. I am also Canadian and ICO is VERY resourceful for canadian students for both making their transition smooth but even more so for after graduation and employment opportunities/networking (early as second year). I think these things comes from being an established school and those were important to me but everyone is different in what they value. Feel free to message me if you have more questions :)