Mid-late August submitters - how are we feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Excellent! I think if we think reasonably, it's only logical that most of our responses would arrive in Nov-Dec. But of course that didn't stop us from freaking out all of September and October! :D
Honestly, it still may not stop most of us freaking out till the new year! Or until we get the A, whichever comes first.... :p

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, it still may not stop most of us freaking out till the new year! Or until we get the A, whichever comes first.... :p
can confirm, once interviews start coming in, the worry just shifts to acceptances

Reactions: 1 user
Excellent! I think if we think reasonably, it's only logical that most of our responses would arrive in Nov-Dec. But of course that didn't stop us from freaking out all of September and October! :D
This is painfully true 😂 Please post when your II’s come in everybody - we’re all cheering for you!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
can confirm, once interviews start coming in, the worry just shifts to acceptances
This and if you will get more IIs, which still doesn’t make you feel better unless you have an A in hand.

This and if you will get more IIs, which still doesn’t make you feel better unless you have an A in hand.
Trust me from observing prior cycles, even then it doesn't end. Next you need your dream school A. Or to be called off of WLs. Then you need your dream school, or whichever school is your preferred school from whatever your choices are, to match whatever scholarship offer another school made.

Just look at prior year threads. A fortunate few do very well and wrap it up early. The first A provides relief for a day or two, and then the neurosis kicks in again. It doesn't end until the CTE date at whatever school ends up being your best choice at that time.

There is a pecking order, every year. People with nothing just want something. People with something just want something better. And everyone just wants some money. And then some more. It never ends, and it's never enough. Until you score a NYU A, or, if you have financial need, a full COA scholarship at Harvard or Stanford, or a Geffen scholarship at UCLA, or whatever the big money merit awards at Penn or Hopkins are called..

Reactions: 1 users
Trust me from observing prior cycles, even then it doesn't end. Next you need your dream school A. Or to be called off of WLs. Then you need your dream school, or whichever school is your preferred school from whatever your choices are, to match whatever scholarship offer another school made.

Just look at prior year threads. A fortunate few do very well and wrap it up early. The first A provides relief for a day or two, and then the neurosis kicks in again. It doesn't end until the CTE date at whatever school ends up being your best choice at that time.

There is a pecking order, every year. People with nothing just want something. People with something just want something better. And everyone just wants some money. And then some more. It never ends, and it's never enough. Until you score a NYU A, or, if you have financial need, a full COA scholarship at Harvard or Stanford, or a Geffen scholarship at UCLA, or whatever the big money merit awards at Penn or Hopkins are called..
No man. I'd be happy with one A.

Reactions: 5 users
No man. I'd be happy with one A.
Heck, I'm just happy for the people on this thread! I'll be beyond happy if you all get an A! Not to be a martyr about it, but I know I tried my best and I'm non trad as hell so any small win is a big win

Same I would be happy with one guaranteed acceptance (still have to make sure background check gains final approval, despite everything being disclosed in app)

Same I would be happy with one guaranteed acceptance (still have to make sure background check gains final approval, despite everything being disclosed in app)
I'll believe it from anyone else, but you have a history of admittedly moving the goal posts. Even if you don't realize it, no, you are the last person who will just be happy with one guaranteed acceptance. You won't be happy until you have all the guaranteed acceptances, with all the scholarships. You'll be fine, but you won't be happy! :cool:

Speaking of which, have you ordered a Certiphi report to make sure there are no surprises? If so, then that's not going to be an issue. If not, what are you waiting for?

I'll believe it from anyone else, but you have a history of admittedly moving the goal posts. Even if you don't realize it, no, you are the last person who will just be happy with one guaranteed acceptance. You won't be happy until you have all the guaranteed acceptances, with all the scholarships. You'll be fine, but you won't be happy! :cool:

Speaking of which, have you ordered a Certiphi report to make sure there are no surprises? If so, then that's not going to be an issue. If not, what are you waiting for?
I hate to break olivegreeneyes pact here, but let me ask YOU, knightdoc, did you submit your app in August? How many IIs do you have?

You have a lot of advice for all of us, and it is appreciated (sometimes) but what's your deal? How is it going for you? Care to share?

Last edited:

Interesting thesis on the futile chasing of the mirage that is pre-med happiness. I'd like to test this, starting with my first A :giggle:

Yes, no issues aside from the one thing. Just hoping they don’t rescind on a technicality and say “we didn’t really look at convictions beforehand.”

I’m going to be honest, if I have an A at any medical school by the end of the cycle even if it’s my last choice I will count my lucky stars knowing I’m going to be a doctor. I’m sure that there is some “looking to the next worry” but I don’t think the vast majority of us applicants have the luxury to be picky with which medical schools accept us

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for my Aug people:

I hate to break olivegreeneyes pact here, but let me ask YOU, knightdoc, did you submit your app in August? How many IIs do you have?

You have a lot of advice for all of us, and it is appreciated (sometimes) but what's your deal? How is it going for you? Care to share?
I like sharing my advice. I'm not really into complaining, flexing, venting, or sharing my results, since they are really, really not relevant to how anyone else is going to do, or even to whether or not anything I post makes any sense. It's not relevant to my post, which was about nothing other than what I observed in the past two cycles, but, for the record, yes, I submitted apps in June, July and August, and have received IIs.

I'm feeling fine. I'm not doing as well as I would have liked, but I recognize the cycle is far from over, I am doing far better than many, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. We good now? :cool:

Yes, no issues aside from the one thing. Just hoping they don’t rescind on a technicality and say “we didn’t really look at convictions beforehand.”
I'm no lawyer, but if they rescinded based on something that was fully and accurately disclosed, that sounds like a lawsuit to me. As opposed to something coming back on Certiphi that wasn't fully disclosed before.

I like sharing my advice. I'm not really into complaining, flexing, venting, or sharing my results, since they are really, really not relevant to how anyone else is going to do, or even to whether or not anything I post makes any sense. It's not relevant to my post, which was about nothing other than what I observed in the past two cycles, but, for the record, yes, I submitted apps in June, July and August, and have received IIs.

I'm feeling fine. I'm not doing as well as I would have liked, but I recognize the cycle is far from over, I am doing far better than many, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. We good now? :cool:
Oh no, you just complain, flex, and vent about what everyone else shares. Good to know.

I was a little annoyed because we are all really trying to support each other here and you come in waxing poetic about how all of us just want more when there are some people on this thread who have not even gotten an II yet, let alone an A! We're happy for your success, now can you please keep advising everyone with hypotheticals somewhere else so we can just support each other? Thank you, we cool now B-)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I’m going to be honest, if I have an A at any medical school by the end of the cycle even if it’s my last choice I will count my lucky stars knowing I’m going to be a doctor. I’m sure that there is some “looking to the next worry” but I don’t think the vast majority of us applicants have the luxury to be picky with which medical schools accept us
Ultimately, that is correct, but it's just not how neurotic SDN premeds roll. People don't withdraw all apps once they receive their first A. They don't stop worrying and they don't stop wanting more. Not that there is anything wrong with it. It is what it is, and it's part of the drive that makes us all successful.

Last edited:
Ultimately, that is correct, but it's just not how neurotic SDN premeds roll. People don't withdraw all apps once they receive their first A. they don't stop worrying and they don't stop wanting more. Not that there is anything wrong with it. It is what it is, and it's part of the drive that makes us all successful.
I fully agree with the fact that SDN has the higher concentration of pre-med neurotics, but maybe being a non-trad and a reapplicant has made me much more realistic about the process. I’m grateful to my seniors who take the time to offer advice and camaraderie towards my fellow SDNers who are all going through this cycle together. At the end of the day much of the process feels random (while assuredly it is not) so I think moving forward in the process (be it getting IIs or the eventual A) does take a lot of negative stress away for many of us while introducing some positive stress (Ex: where of my multiple acceptances will I get accepted.) Better one than the other

Yeah speaking statistically (IIRC), even for those of us who do become physicians we aren't choosing between schools, over 50% get and accept a single A.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, so that Friday came and went :rolleyes:

But it looks like some schools are beginning to reach mid-August in their responses -- assuming some vaguely chronological order, at least in sending out pre-II Rs! UCSF, Brown, Chicago appear to be closing in on our dates.

Sitting tight, bracing myself for next week! (Like I do every week actually :p )

• Care
Well, so that Friday came and went :rolleyes:

But it looks like some schools are beginning to reach mid-August in their responses -- assuming some vaguely chronological order, at least in sending out pre-II Rs! UCSF, Brown, Chicago appear to be closing in on our dates.

Sitting tight, bracing myself for next week! (Like I do every week actually :p )
I'm glad UCSF, brown, etc send out pre-II Rs. That's the one thing about this process, if I was rejected from the 20 schools I have left, that obviously sucks, but knowing about it now would be so much better than April. Of course, I get schools are busy and we're all 'rejected' before the A call, but the few schools that let you know ahead of time, they're gems (and accordingly the Rs sting a little bit more)

Strangely enough, I'd have to agree with @KnightDoc 's post above. For a lot of pre-meds (myself included), it's easy to focus on a new "goal" once the previous one has been achieved e.g. next II, next A, next financial aid package etc. I have avoided posting on this thread because though I'm a late submitter (Late August, September, and even October!), I have been fortunate enough to receive 3 II's and 1 A in the month of October. I am still waiting a few more schools but I'm keeping the faith by acknowledging that submitting somewhat late could also mean getting my app reviewed later in the cycle. FWIW, I'd like to tell my fellow late submitters, don't worry, our time will come eventually (anticipating Nov/Dec🙏). The cycle truly isn't over till it is.

• Love
Strangely enough, I'd have to agree with @KnightDoc 's post above. For a lot of pre-meds (myself included), it's easy to focus on a new "goal" once the previous one has been achieved e.g. next II, next A, next financial aid package etc. I have avoided posting on this thread because though I'm a late submitter (Late August, September, and even October!), I have been fortunate enough to receive 3 II's and 1 A in the month of October. I am still waiting a few more schools but I'm keeping the faith by acknowledging that submitting somewhat late could also mean getting my app reviewed later in the cycle. FWIW, I'd like to tell my fellow late submitters, don't worry, our time will come eventually (anticipating Nov/Dec🙏). The cycle truly isn't over till it is.
Glad you finally joined us here farfaraway, and congratulations on your successes! Especially on that A, future doctor!

• Love
One II and one R so far this week. Every II exhilarates, and every R devastates. I just want to be done with this drama!!

• Care
1 II 6 weeks ago, silence from everywhere else

• Care
First pre-II R this morning. Post-II R yesterday. Things are moving now!

• Care
How's it going guys and girls? I've had a bitter sweet week. One II last week and two pre-II Rs.
Can't complain, I guess. But the Rs still hurt. Still no word from majority of my schools though.

• Care
How's it going guys and girls? I've had a bitter sweet week. One II last week and two pre-II Rs.
Can't complain, I guess. But the Rs still hurt. Still no word from majority of my schools though.
I had one II at the beginning of the month but nothing since... no Rs, no IIs, just... silence. I'm thinking of sending a round of update letters after Thanksgiving

I had one II at the beginning of the month but nothing since... no Rs, no IIs, just... silence. I'm thinking of sending a round of update letters after Thanksgiving

Hi all sorry I haven’t been posting much! Received a surprising II at Perelman last week, definitely was not expecting that. Otherwise sitting at 5 II’s, 5 Pre-II R’s, and one WL out of a total 35 applications. I was also thinking of doing update letters too - after thanksgiving seems like prudent timing for sure.

• Love
Hi all sorry I haven’t been posting much! Received a surprising II at Perelman last week, definitely was not expecting that. Otherwise sitting at 5 II’s, 5 Pre-II R’s, and one WL out of a total 35 applications. I was also thinking of doing update letters too - after thanksgiving seems like prudent timing for sure.
Wow, you reeled in a big fish! Proud of you Gardens! Go get that A!!!

Would also love to hear your thoughts about update letters.. since our "complete" date has just been about three months ago now, my updates are more or less the following.. I finished a semester of post bacc classes, yay! (I have a PhD, so probably this means less than nothing), I keep doing research in my job, woohoo! and I started 2 new volunteer positions. Is this even worth mentioning? Ok to send updates to schools with interest (as I have seen in some school threads) when it has not that been long and your updates may be yawn-worthy?

• Love
Wow, you reeled in a big fish! Proud of you Gardens! Go get that A!!!

Would also love to hear your thoughts about update letters.. since our "complete" date has just been about three months ago now, my updates are more or less the following.. I finished a semester of post bacc classes, yay! (I have a PhD, so probably this means less than nothing), I keep doing research in my job, woohoo! and I started 2 new volunteer positions. Is this even worth mentioning? Ok to send updates to schools with interest (as I have seen in some school threads) when it has not that been long and your updates may be yawn-worthy?

I hear you and definitely share your concerns - however it seems like in your case with finishing a semester of classes (congrats!) and 2 new volunteer positions, that is plenty of new information to include. I think the most important thing is the way you decide to talk about these experiences. I definitely have fewer updates to include but I'm still submitting a letter because I figure it's better than doing nothing, especially at this point in the cycle - even if yawn-worthy, it might make Adcoms take a second look at my app and decide to throw an II my way.

Haven’t gotten one in like three weeks. Hope there’s still a few more out there

• Care
  • Haha
R yesterday :'(

Fun fact: I always get Rs when I'm driving. Like literally all three of them have been on the road.

And it's been 2+ months from my first interview and silence. Guys and girls, I'll be honest, I'm panicking this turkey day.

Last edited:
  • Care
R yesterday :'(

Fun fact: I always get Rs when I'm driving. Like literally all three of them have been on the road.

And it's been 2+ months from my first II and silence. Guys and girls, I'll be honest, I'm panicking this turkey day.
I got an R yesterday as well. Mine always land on me in the middle of zoom calls at work and I have to maintain a straight face through the rest of the call. Sucks!!

I'm dreading Thursday as well and all the invariable inquisition at the dinner table.

But let's stay hopeful. I think December will be a better month for us in terms of starting to hear back, one way or other. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I got an R yesterday as well. Mine always land on me in the middle of zoom calls at work and I have to maintain a straight face through the rest of the call. Sucks!!

I'm dreading Thursday as well and all the invariable inquisition at the dinner table.

But let's stay hopeful. I think December will be a better month for us in terms of starting to hear back, one way or other. Happy Thanksgiving!
Aww, that sounds much worse Olive, but I'm glad for your optimism. I'll be honest, sometimes (all the times?) Med school apps feels like a terribly lonely process (particularly as a non trad), so all the encouragement and positive vibes in this thread really means a lot.

Here's to December!! And happy Thanksgiving :)

Same, I might not even go after being waitlisted again earlier this week.

• Care
OK, December is already a day old. Where are these IIs??? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Time to get ready for a re-app or am I being dramatic?

Pre-II hold yesterday, still sitting on 2 II's from MONTHS ago with one post-II hold. SOO much silence :( December please be good to us

Time to get ready for a re-app or am I being dramatic?
Last cycle, I got an interview in late March (way past the doomed thanksgiving day) so there’s hope! i think you should still have the mindset of preparing for re-app just to be safe. Maybe reflect on possible deficits in your app especially in terms of school list for international applicants. That was my greatest mistake last year. But it’s too early to start full-on panicking.

My last II was back in October😔 Since then, total silence. No R’s, no II’s in the whole of November. Hoping that I hear back from my remaining schools in Dec/Jan.

Yea, I'm with @KnightDoc too. As you said, the we keep changing the goalposts. I remember when I got my first A, I literally couldn't sleep the night before. I woke up every 90 minutes to check my phone to see if I was accepted. Later that same day, I was already over it, and just began hoping for an II from my top choice, a nearby T5. Immediately after my interview, I began evaluating my chances for a full ride, and calculating the odds of me getting not just acceptances but also scholarships at other peer institutions that had given me an II so that I could use matching to get a full ride from my top choice T5. Now, that's all I think about.

@KnightDoc 's post helped remind me of my original goal. As a reapplicant with a rather unique story, I was worried I wouldn't even make a med school, much less multiple T30s. Now, a month later, I was on the edge of disappointment at the possibility of not getting a full ride from a T5. While "moving the goalposts" varies for everyone as to what exactly the goalposts are, his comment helped me remember my original goalposts, which I think is very important.

• Love