Mid Application Cycle + Gap Year Advice (Feeling Stuck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRepublic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN community!

Hope everyone is enjoying the end of year festivities. It has been quite some time since I've last posted and life has surely moved on since then.

Right now I'm in the middle of an applicant cycle for MD. There was an issue in my university in regards to getting a committee letter sent out as the Dean had issues and everyone's letters were delayed, so technically my application was complete on September 10th (I know........). I've been working as a Quant on Wall Street upon graduating undergrad (Ivy non HYP) for about 6 months now. The hours are arduous, but the experience just enough to justify the hours. I spent many sleepless nights working on secondaries and working, trying to keep within the 2 week period for secondaries, all for my committee letter to be held up.

Now, as we are in the midst of December, I haven't heard back from over half of my schools and have already received some rejections and no IIs. I am already facing the fact I might go without any II's or any A's this cycle and have started to think about what to do next. With my job right now, I barely have time to live my own life outside of work much less volunteer or do research. I'm a bit at odds on what to do and I am fearing that I might already be somewhat burnt out before medical school already. In this job market however I'm worried that if I were to give up this opportunity I wouldn't be able to fill the role. I'm also worried at how my experiences are going to come across in update letters to the adcom "applicant xyz has just been working and didn't do any "traditional" med applicant activities". Would love to hear some opinions, as of right now I'm in a bit of a spiral and the stress is affecting multiple aspects of my life.

Best,
Brepublic.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I am sorry that external forces have caused your committee letter to be delayed. The application process is hard enough without receiving "help" from others.

I would work under the assumption that you will not be admitted this cycle, and do everything within your power to improve your application for the next cycle. If you are not admitted this cycle, assuming that finances do not prohibit this course of action and you are committed to becoming a doctor, I would quit your job in finance and pursue other opportunities in the medical field that will (hopefully) leave you with more free time and less drained.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If you would fill out the WAMC grid we maybe could advise you appropriately. We don’t know one thing about you or your application except that your Committee letter was “late”. And actually that really isn’t late. And I really don’t think that’s the reason you do t have any interviews.

Here’s the grid.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you would fill out the WAMC grid we maybe could advise you appropriately. We don’t know one thing about you or your application except that your Committee letter was “late”. And actually that really isn’t late. And I really don’t think that’s the reason you do t have any interviews.

Here’s the grid.

Ah, thank you! I will work to fill this out!

Since you applied a little late (also a later applicant here, but have had success), there are probably a lot of schools that haven't read your app yet. I wouldn't give up hope.

I don't think the fact that you haven't been getting clinical experience, volunteering, or doing research for the past 6 months should kill you if you've had robust experiences in those areas previously. If you do have to reapply, it's probably best to find some way to pick those up again in some capacity even if it's just 2 hours a week.

Just curious-if you feel comfortable sharing, what is your ballpark TC as a quant?

It might be worth just working for a couple more years, aggressively investing (and saving a couple million), and then applying to medical school when you are in a much more chill financial situation.

"applicant xyz has just been working and didn't do any "traditional" med applicant activities".
So I think the problem with this mindset is making the assumption that there exist 'trad experiences' just to have them, but they go a long way at proving you are committed to the field of healthcare. Your clinical experience is limited in your WAMC post and you state that covid derailed some of them but it's been years and more opportunity for in-person shadowing/clinical experience does exist.

You are working in finance full-time and have not demonstrated any sustained interest in working in healthcare and continue to state that your work in finance will not allow you to do research or any other experience that would be beneficial for your app. You had at least one interview but were rejected post-interview, which to me indicates you do not have enough strong understanding of healthcare and all its issues (insurance, multi-disciplinary care, hyper-specialization, mid-level creep, social work, hospice) and didn't have strong story-telling and experiences with patients to draw upon.

You have great scores and are clearly incredibly intelligent, but if I were an ad-com member I would question why you want to be a doctor and if you DO then why are you busy putting all of your work and effort into your finance job.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.