Microsoft and Paige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If reimbursement for pathology is continuously going down and the PC and TC are going down. Where does the budget come from for getting a license agreement with an AI service provider when functionally it really does not improve work flow efficiency or quality in a demonstrable way.

That is of course assuming that this will be the actual time we get AI in any capacity. But good for Paige and Microsoft. I love the games Microsoft put out, maybe they can gamify things so at least we will have that.

Reactions: 1 user
I was initially skeptical but I do think digital path and then applying AI will catch on.
Paige and other AI companies are starting to pay enormously just to digitize cancerous slides. Right now if you are in a big enough lab you should look to monetize your slide archive.

Members don't see this ad :)
And if you're not in a big lab, invest in GPU manufacturers and data centers instead.

For GPU computing, there's the usual suspects -- nvidia, AMD, etc. Leap calls if you want a leveraged position with a multi-year outlook. If you're adventurous, look into the decentralized platforms like Render token or Akash.

Data center exposure probably through REITs if you can't buy one outright.

nfa dyor ymmv.

A good place to start digitizing glass would be the AFIP archives, if they still exist.

For GPU computing, there's the usual suspects -- nvidia, AMD, etc. Leap calls if you want a leveraged position with a multi-year outlook. If you're adventurous, look into the decentralized platforms like Render token or Akash.

Data center exposure probably through REITs if you can't buy one outright.

nfa dyor ymmv.
Own EVERYTHING. No home runs, but no strike outs and plenty of base hits.

A good place to start digitizing glass would be the AFIP archives, if they still exist.
I’m sure those slides have all been digitized, likely years ago. All sorts of people are trying to build an AI diagnostic machine god, likely to shill to VC investors to make some millions when the actual product won’t be used at all.

Of course we can all be replaced one day, but it hasn’t happened just yet. A better idea is just to digitize all slides so we can all send our consults to Hopkins faster!

I wonder how AI and digital path will affect the job market. Pathologists would be able to sign out more cases with AI to assist them and cases can signed out by any thirsty pathologist looking to make some extra cash on the side in the entire country.

I have a feeling digital path and AI will have a negative effect on the job market.

I mean jobs are already limited in my area to begin with. Add on digital pathology and AI I have a bad feeling about it.

I wonder how AI and digital path will affect the job market. Pathologists would be able to sign out more cases with AI to assist them and cases can signed out by any thirsty pathologist looking to make some extra cash on the side in the entire country.

I have a feeling digital path and AI will have a negative effect on the job market.

I mean jobs are already limited in my area to begin with. Add on digital pathology and AI I have a bad feeling about it.
Digital will be of value to bigger path groups and corporate path to help with slide distribution from central histology. Some of the things called “AI” imo are not really AI but will help us with AP sign out. Measuring tumors, ki67 index etc

It will impact the job market - a group can more easily cover for absent / vaca’ing members. With digital May also see a few folks hang on a couple of more years; semi retired but doing some remote sign out.

Last edited:
Groups will just hire pathologists from anywhere in the country as a contractor on a 1099 so they don’t have to pay taxes or benefits. More $$$ saved for the employer.

There are plenty of thirsty and greedy pathologists looking to make extra money. I’m talking about multimillionaire retired and working pathologists (that are doing very well) looking to make extra money from the comfort of their home.

Digital and AI will have a negative impact on the pathology job market in my opinion.

There are (currently) literally a handful of jobs in my city. Even in this so called good job market.

Now add in digital pathology, those jobs will be gone since any pathologist in the country (with a state license) can do the work for extra money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
….and instead of competing with pathologists in your area for jobs or pathologists who are willing to move to your city, in the era of digital pathology, when it becomes mainstream, you will now be competing with pathologists all over the country for work. Imagine that.

Reactions: 1 users
….and instead of competing with pathologists in your area for jobs or pathologists who are willing to move to your city, in the era of digital pathology, when it becomes mainstream, you will now be competing with pathologists all over the country for work. Imagine that.
I dare say it will be from all over the world.

I dare say it will be from all over the world.
That might be tougher. Will still need a US MD, US board certifications, and US state licenses to sign out any US medical cases.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of a so called digital anatomic pathology group that is buying out other practices to help set up digital in these groups. They are aggressively growing and are partnering with In office pathology to set up digital pathology labs in clinician offices as well.

I know of a so called digital anatomic pathology group that is buying out other practices to help set up digital in these groups. They are aggressively growing and are partnering with In office pathology to set up digital pathology labs in clinician offices as well.
As of now the laws still state that "in-office" pathology has to be read in that specific office to be billed at that office, no?

As of now the laws still state that "in-office" pathology has to be read in that specific office to be billed at that office, no?
I believe so, but this digital anatomic pathology group partnering with in office labs.