Microscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time to move on

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Nikon Eclipse Ci-L for a Pathologist?

What is your go to microscope that works well and is within a good price range?

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts on Nikon Eclipse Ci-L for a Pathologist?

What is your go to microscope that works well and is within a good price range?

It’s a baller scope. I have the Ci-E. Full motorization is totally worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Always loved Nikon. Have used a Nikon 55i for well over a decade now. Good objectives and an ergonomic head and I am happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I use a Olympus BX-53. Came with multihead. I reduced it to double head. Don’t like sitting with more than 1 other person.

It’s ok. Gets the job done. Not really fancy, IMO.

I’ve used both Olympus and Nikon, and I find them both to be acceptable. We’re currently an Olympus outfit and I have both a BX46 and a BX43 for the two sites I cover. One has fluorite objectives and the other has plain achromatic objectives, but I’d like to upgrade to apochromatic eventually.

The only differences between the two is that Nikon still makes a dry 60x objective in the apochromatic grade (Olympus no longer makes them) and Olympus still makes a 1.25x in the apochromatic grade (Nikon makes a 1x but it’s achromatic).

I’ve used both Olympus and Nikon, and I find them both to be acceptable. We’re currently an Olympus outfit and I have both a BX46 and a BX43 for the two sites I cover. One has fluorite objectives and the other has plain achromatic objectives, but I’d like to upgrade to apochromatic eventually.

The only differences between the two is that Nikon still makes a dry 60x objective in the apochromatic grade (Olympus no longer makes them) and Olympus still makes a 1.25x in the apochromatic grade (Nikon makes a 1x but it’s achromatic).

I have that dry apo 60x Nikon has. Awesome objective. Great for Cyto and marrow aspirates. All of nikons apo objectives are wonderful- their clarity coupled with LED is superb for sign out. Highly recommend.

Anyone use Zeiss? I did once and it was phenomenal

Yes have used a couple and were very nice. Zeiss is much more adopted in Europe than what I’ve seen in the US market

I had the opportunity to get a new scope of my choice within the last year or so and I opted for the Olympus BX46 primary due to ergonomics. As far as I am aware, it has the lowest stage of any similar type of upright microscope currently available on the market - 128 mm vs 201 mm for the Nikon. This is extremely important to me, as I have a very short torso and usually have to reach up toward the stage and objectives while sitting, even with my chair adjusted as high as possible with my legs touching the underside of the desk and using a footrest. I also got the telescopic, tilting, lifting head and it is FANTASTIC. I went with the semiapochromat (FLN) objectives for 4/10/20/40x and they seem fine. You don't get a choice for the lower objectives. I wouldn't use a 60x (I don't do hemepath or cyto) so I didn't get one.
I've never personally had an opportunity to do a direct head-to-head comparison of different quality objectives on scopes of similar age/make, so I honestly don't know how much of a difference that makes.

I tested a Zeiss many years ago. The scope was massive in size. Not sure how much it weighed but I could hardly move the thing. Great craftsmanship. No cheap parts.

The quote from the company wasn't competitive with Nikon or Olympus so it didn't get much consideration.

What do you like about motorization?

I use a stage and don’t drive with my hand. The automation is nice with a stage since I am not lifting my hands to switch around objectives and it’s much easier to go back and forth between objectives. Automatic condenser flipping is nice as well. Light automatically switches brightness levels to what I like for each objective as I switch around. Good ergonomics.

You can't go wrong with Nikon (Or Olympus or Leica for that matter) The Nikon Ci-L microscope employs an LED illumination system that creates a bright crisp white field of light across the entire field of view. It's plenty bright enough to drive the secondary head on a dual viewing attachment which is available in a face to face or side by side configuration. The Plan Achromat objectives are sufficient for pathology, however you do have the option to upgrade to fluorite or apochromat objectives for increased color and spherical correction. Nikon has the option of a mechanical stage or a fixed stage for pathologists who prefer to manipulate the specimen by hand. Nikon is the only one of the big three that offers a fully ergonomic head meaning that the head moves up and down as well as telescopes in and out. This is key for pathologist who spend a lot of time reading specimens. It makes for a much more ergonomic experience. Currently, Nikon comes in at the lower price point when compared with Olympus and Leica.

For Pathology, I would definitely opt for the 25mm FOV 10x eyepieces.

Nikon, Olympus, and Leica are all high quality microscopes that will give you many, many years of reliable use.

Nikon is the only one of the big three that offers a fully ergonomic head meaning that the head moves up and down as well as telescopes in and out.

I have a TTLBI head on my Olympus BX46 - so Nikon is definitely NOT the "only" company selling a head that moves up and down, in and out and tilts.
1587661058078.png

1587661195128.png

It doesn't appear to telescope in and out in those diagrams. With Nikon you can pull the eyepieces toward your face. I rarely use the feature but rather just slide the whole scope on the table.

I have a TTLBI head on my Olympus BX46 - so Nikon is definitely NOT the "only" company selling a head that moves up and down, in and out and tilts.
View attachment 303439
View attachment 303440

I should have been more clear....Nikon's fully ergonomic head telescopes in and out giving it a full ergonomic feature. Olympus and Leica tilt up and down, but they do not have the telescoping feature.

I should have been more clear....Nikon's fully ergonomic head telescopes in and out giving it a full ergonomic feature. Olympus and Leica tilt up and down, but they do not have the telescoping feature.

My Olympus BX46 telescopes in and out.

Does anyone actually use the telescoping feature? I rarely do and at some point the eyepieces start drifting downward on my old scope.

This video is kind of crappy, but if you jump to 1:13 you can see the entire observation tube can be pulled forward (this is what the big arrow in Figure 31 above is attempting to demonstrate). I use this feature daily. I have an adjustable sit/stand desk and when I am standing, I push the observation tube back as far as it will go. When I am sitting, I pull it toward me so the oculars are closer to my face and I can keep a straight back while sitting without having to lean forward.