Michigan Status Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonkst

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you that have just interviewed at Michigan, what does your status page say? I interviewed last friday, and it already says I'm offered a spot on the waitlist (which sucks). How in the world did they make a decision in 3 days??

Members don't see this ad.

i have the same thing - interviewed last friday, status page saying i've been offered a spot on the wait list.

I know that decisions for people interviewing last friday have already been made.

Sorry bout the waitlist, at least you didn't get a letter saying "we have constructed our list of acceptances and waitlistees, and you are on neither. Good luck in your OTHER carreer pursuits." Something I recieved last year from a less than stellar medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were waitlisted or accepted from UMich would you mind posting your stats (MCAT, GPA)? I've heard they had a cutoff. I'm applying late (August MCAT) and have a 31 (9V, 11PS, 11BS) and 3.75 (from UMich grad and undergrad engineering) and am worried I may not make the cut. I'm hoping being in state will help but it might be a lost cause. I know some people hate posting stats but I didn't see much to give me an idea from mdapplicants.com (maybe because no one made it with my type of stats), but anyhow I would really appreciate your thoughts :D

You pass the "cut off" althogh I don't think one exists. There are people in my class with stats below yours. For instate, I heard last year you get an automatic interview with a 33 and a certain gpa. You can probably dig up the thread......all hearsay though.

3.75 in engineering + 31 will make the "cut" (if one exists), for sure.

Thanks for the info. I hope you are right... I know that Michigan is definitely into "numbers" and maybe more so lately. It's intimidating to talk with some of my old classmates who are now M3s, most of them scored 35 and above, so maybe it kind of skews my view (I went to grad school and then worked for a year before I decided to apply...yes I know I'm kinda old :). Anyway, I do know that UM has very high averages though (34 maybe?)... but I am crossing my fingers:) Thanks again for your advice! :D

True, there are some people with phenomenol numbers, but 3.75 in engineering is rock solid. Plus, engineers are awesome, and I think they recognize that (I'm not biased).

hey guys...... i got a 4.0 , 35......i am hoping for an acceptance soooooooo bad.....the place was so amazing...i think i have a good chance of getting in off the waitlist hopefully....so just hoping and praying seriously. no matter how long i ttakes....i'll keep holding on to hope.
congrats to all so far..obviously you were amazing.

I don't think there is a cutoff. I have a 4.0, 36N, and I got waitlisted, so...

sooner,

you arent in state though right?

Originally posted by knock knock
sooner,

you arent in state though right?

right, I'm a resident of the great state of Oklahoma! :D

Interviewed 10/31 (that's right...Halloween!)
Accepted 11/3

Stats:
3.93 cumulative GPA
---summa cum laude grad of UT Austin
4.0 BCPM GPA
36S MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
one other thing: I'm a resident of Kansas (I don't know if that makes a difference though)

Originally posted by Zahri
I know that Michigan is definitely into "numbers" and maybe more so lately. It's intimidating to talk with some of my old classmates who are now M3s, most of them scored 35 and above, so maybe it kind of skews my view ...

actually umich is not so into the numbers as you may think. the idea of a "cut" at around 33 w/a gpa over 3.75 is just bull. there's someone in my class with a big chunk of a scholarship and she got a 28 on the mcat. and had about a 3.75gpa. *shrug* the proportion of 35 and above that you claim... not so large a proportion in my class, from what i've gathered. just because you know some people who scored above a 35 doesn't mean umich is "definitely into the numbers," as you say. additionally, for your friends who are now m3s, that ONE year, the school modified the admissions criteria to be a little more numbers oriented, and after that class, promptly changed it back to their previous methodologies. this info is from a guy i know on the admissions committee, btw.

That someone at Michigan with a 28 mcat also received a full tuition merit scholarship at Wayne.....(which she turned down to attend Michigan BEFORE she knew she had a scholarship there!)

This student did have a high score on the verbal, which some may argue carries a lot of weight. She also had awesome lors and excels at interviewing.

The point - never count yourself out. The schools know what they are looking for!

So, if I already had my interview, and my status page says NOTHING new, does that mean that I am rejected?? It still just lists my interview date, which was oct 31!!

I got a 33N (but a 13 on verbal) and have a 3.54 GPA with science GPA of 3.2 and I got an interview 3 days after I was complete ;) So they aren't GPA driven!!!

My interview isn't until 1/16 though :( That sucks! I can't believe they are booked all the way through 2003 already.

Michigan will definitely look past your numbers. I have almost the same stats as Nor2themax, with a higher science gpa and a lower regular gpa, and I got accepted a few weeks ago. I'm out of state and not a URM. I think interviewing counts for a HELL of a lot. My interviews went really well, I think, and the school is AMAZING! :) So if you have less-than Michigan's stats and get an interview, this is where you can shine IMHO.

Good luck all, feel free to PM me w/ any more questions.

ETA- doc.cb you definitely aren't rejected. I waited about 1-2 weeks for the decision, so you will probably hear in the next week or so...good luck!

i second lux. my numbers are good, but just in talking to the students there, they were a very diverse bunch. seems like they are looking for much more than just numbers and that ec's/volunteering experiences are just as important. on my acceptance letter they highlighted service projects and other volunteering activities i'd done as "impressive" to the admissions committee. i was also accepted 2 days after interviewing there, but i don't think that not hearing immediately is a bad thing (for doc.cb). i think my student host (who ended up with a full ride) only heard about her acceptance a month after interviewing. so...hang in there! :)

wow - umich writes out personalized acceptance letters?!

Yeah, its pretty sweet. I was very impressed. They pick a few of your activities to highlight and mention some stuff about academics as well.

Does anyone with experience know when they might start pulling people off the waitlist? I've heard in past years some have been offered spots from the waitlist in december or so.... I just hate waiting and wanted some info...thanks for the help..

Man, how freakin long does it take for the acceptance letter from UMich to arrive? I was notified by e-mail of my acceptance on Nov. 3rd (a few days after my interview). The UMich website says that I have been accepted, too. Yet, it's freakin Nov. 15th and I still haven't gotten the acceptance letter by snail mail. How long did you all wait? (I'm in Texas BTW).

i'm in tx too. the acceptance letter came ~ 2.5 weeks after i got the notification of acceptance by email.

it seems as if umich gets back to its applicants very quickly post-interview ... is it possible that they already know you they're going to accept pre-interview?

Anyone who interviewed on the 5th of this month hear back from UMich yet? Most people seemt o have heard back really quickly (like within a week) so I am starting to get worried.